Looking for OZ Tent reviews

weezerbot

Adventurist
Founding Member
Well, I can't believe I'm doing this, but now that the Tiger is gone we are looking to make our next move on a sleeping set up. My plan was to build a platform in the back of the 4runner, but Josh went and bought another FJ while I'm not home to supervise *ahem*, so thats out. He says he wants to keep this one more stock than our last, :rofl and no RTT. That leaves a trailer or a ground tent as options. We have nowhere to store a trailer now that we have 3 vehicles so....back to sleeping on the ground we go. *shudder*

I've admired the build quality of the Oz tents I've seen at OVEX, but I don't know anyone with real world experience. Does anyone here have anything to say, or perhaps suggest another quality tent? I need ease of set-up, transport, and quality material.

I've seen and got to get hands on look at OZ tents at last years SE Overland Rallly, Really well built from heavy material and water proof, Made in China but doesn't look like stuff made in China. They fold up to about the size of a easy-up canopy so kind of bulky.

The good: Quality, design

The bad: Size when closed, Price

I've had an OzTent RV2 for the last 3 years and I've been happy with it. It is big, about 6 feet long in its carry bag, but it fits in the bed of the truck. I like it because I've grown tired of crawling on the ground at my advanced age and enjoy being able to stand erect or sit in the tent. I also appreciate it for its shelter in foul, I mean nasty, weather. Howling winds, torrential rains, or wicked cold and it serves me well. No it's not cheap but you get what you pay for and I feel I have value in this purchase as well as those who will inherit it from me; it's built to wear with a little care.

CIMG1098.jpg

If I were in the market for a ground tent it would be an Oztent. Great design, great materials.

Oztents are nice, but have you looked at Springbar (USA made) or the (I think chinese) Kodiak tents? Both canvas tents. If I were to consider a ground tent, it would be one of these. Having used Barlow's Kodiak a couple times, it's a nice tent. You would want to replace the (12) ground stakes supplied with it with Snow Peak stakes, and a good stake hammer, but other than that, they're great.

00small45108528.JPG

afa7dc4c.jpg

I have the Oz Tent RV-2. I really like it. So easy to set up. Staking is a breeze with the guy ropes already attached to the tent and in their own pockets to boot. Plenty of windows to open for ventilation in warm climes, and seals up great for those colder nights. The built in front flap/awning is great. The adjustable poles that come with it are a snap, er, well a twist actually. I have only ever used it as an awning truth be told. Have not needed to batten down the hatches yet. The tub floor is very stout and I'm sure it will keep my gear dry if I ever set up in a small creek bed. Plenty of height for me, 6'.

Now for the limited down sides. It is big and heavy and bulky when packed. The RV-2 is right around 6' long and 15" in diameter. Weight is 30lbsish I'm guessing. I built a platform for it in the back of my 5' Tacoma bed. I didn't want the weight up high on the big rack, plus I like having the weight evenly supported on the platform, (an old wood backboard). The bag is another minor issue. It is a really tight fit. I can see the zipper blowing out from trying to squeeze everything into the bag. I have a lead on a canvas shop that can make a replacement bag for a less than outrageous price. Just haven't done it yet.

If I get out to OVEx this may and you and/or Josh are there come find me and I'll let you check out the tent and maybe even let you take it down and set it up* to see how easy it is.

I'm not looking to pull a Tom Sawyer and have you do my chores for me, but as long as it isn't 9:30 at night I'll clear out my stuff and let you have at the tent.

No need to do that Stuart. Randy and Kim will be at OX13 from OzTent so he'll be able to play with the entire product line and maybe even take advantage of their on-site sale prices.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have not taken a serious look at the Springbar, but perhaps I will. Packability and weight are certainly a concern. This is something that is either going to need to be packed inside or on the roof. Why we have another FJ I still don't understand. I love it, but I thought I was going to come home to a Tacoma with a flip-pac for sure!

Making it to OVEX this year is still up in the air. I fly home that Friday and won't get in until late, so at the most we will only make it up for a day pass Sunday if at all. I hate to break my streak of making it to every OVEX, but I've been gone for 8 months, and I imagine I'll want to spend a few days in my own home before venturing out again.

C'mon Soldier, one more day won't hurt, come find us at OVEX. ;)

Making it to OVEX this year is still up in the air. I fly home that Friday and won't get in until late, so at the most we will only make it up for a day pass Sunday if at all. I hate to break my streak of making it to every OVEX, but I've been gone for 8 months, and I imagine I'll want to spend a few days in my own home before venturing out again.

That sounds like border-line sniveling to me. There are a hand-ful of Americans who've survived the previous events and you're willing to sacrifice your record? And ditch your mon frer? What's next? Show us your Nancy Pelosi stylish pumps collectors card set?

An OZtent will be my next tent purchase, i tired of the RTT pretty quickly.

My bud and i are both looking to pick up RV-4/5's, with the amount of winter camping we have done in the past the option of facing two tents together is awful appealing. If it had a provision for a stove pipe that would make it even better.

That sounds like border-line sniveling to me. There are a hand-ful of Americans who've survived the previous events and you're willing to sacrifice your record? And ditch your mon frer? What's next? Show us your Nancy Pelosi stylish pumps collectors card set?

You shut your face, Nancy! Those cards are an INVESTMENT and will be worth bookoo bucks one day! :leprechaun

I've had an OzTent RV2 for the last 3 years and I've been happy with it.....

CIMG1098.jpg

Tango, is that the oem fly? or an accessory?,, I know "Adventureduo" Dave & Yosh have the RV5, and swear by the quality. Also, is that an add on room to the front?,

Wade

OEM fly with add on side panels and front panel resulting in a "add on room." I generally use that for entertaining...

The quality is excellent and the service from Randy and Kim McCaully is great.

We have owned our RV-4 for 2 years. It is an amazing tent. We have camped in snow, heavy winds, rain and on the beach. It's extremely warm when buttoned up and cool with the windows opened. It can catch a breeze from almost any direction. It is heavy but sets up very fast. The bag will hold the tent, stakes etc, along with a roll up doormat and one zip on side. I built a rack from 3/4 and 1/2 inch emt conduit to protect it and lock it up on the roofrack. We regret nothing about purchasing it.

I have been wanting a OZTent for over a year. I keep spending money on other things and don't have a good place for it. Eventually I will get one. The quality is great.

We're planning on a basecamp tent comparison in the charter issue of OutdoorX4 and the Oz Tent is one of the tents we'll be looking at. The comparison will be pretty comprehensive and will be HONEST so stay tuned.

We used our RV-2 for the first time this past weekend as an annex to the teardrop. Worked great. I wish I had done this a year ago.

IMG_0641.jpg

-Andy

Back
Top Bottom