Tired of all the same "huge" RTT's, so I made my own: TerraPod

Ground tents and swags are great for a two to three day trip then get uncomfortable IMO.

I disagree. I’ve never been uncomfortable in a properly appointed ground tent.

It’s the convenience factor of a RTT that is significantly higher in my experience. Long road trips like I do can benefit from that convenience when driver fatigue sets in and you need to pull over for a few hours sleep. Swags are a bit awkward in settings like rest stops in Texas ;)

Other than dirt bagging this is the fastest tent I've set up. Clip the dog leash onto the lid. Undo the 2 latches. Give it a little nudge and it's up. Closing it is almost as simple with two extra steps. The first is making sure the windows are about halfway open to let air out as the top closes. Then tucking in the tent walls near the hinge before the lid is fully closed.

For any 2 person RTT I can see where leaving the mattress in is necessary. Not so with the Solo. I was sleeping on a Exped Mega Mat and it's faster to take the mattress out then trying to partially deflate it so the tent wall fabric has enough space when the lid is closed. Rolling it up on the tailgate with my body weight and a short dowel to get the air out took less time than figuring out the tangle of Exped's zipperless storage bag for the mattress.

Even with the long Mega Mat there was plenty of floor space for things like boots, keys, wallets, etc. There's a battery powered light on the ceiling along with a Velcro pouch. I'm going to expand on that idea with some more Velcro panels and some BROG bags. Keep tent zipper lubricant and the like in them. Make a storage space for the rainfly.

Air springs are on the inside to protect the seals from dust but in one of Dave's pics one of my antennas is knocked down. The bush that did that may have snagged an externally mounted spring as well.

Even with some rainy nights going out and coming back home. While the composite panels got really cold I didn't have a problem with condensation. There's a vent at the hinge base and leaving the rear window slightly open created a air current to let humid air escape.

It’s the convenience factor of a RTT that is significantly higher in my experience. Long road trips like I do can benefit from that convenience when driver fatigue sets in and you need to pull over for a few hours sleep. Swags are a bit awkward in settings like rest stops in Texas ;)
I couldn't agree more. Popping up my trailer rooftop tent in rest stops and wayward parks is a lot quicker and easier, and often more acceptable, than setting up a swag or tent when a couple hours rest is needed. Often for full overnights, too, especially in long highway travel. Will be the same if I put a pop top with tent sides on the van. Four latches and give it a shove is how easy my hardshell RTT is. Quick and easy to close up, too, if needed on a moment's notice.

It’s okay you can have your opinion, wrong in my eyes but it’s all yours. I am a bit older so maybe that has something to do with it.

When I purchased mine I asked. The rainfly color has a few selections. As far as the shell goes it's white and silver only. Black was tried and it just got too hot. I would think an automotive vinyl shop could customize it to anything you want it.

Tent fabric, not sure. Maybe in the future? @Terrapod

After seeing this one in person in Utah I’m very intrigued:

View attachment 55574

My question is about personalization. My truck build is “thematic” with earth tones. Silver and white just won’t jibe well for me.

Can one be had in other colors?

For custom colors, we recommend customers either have the tents painted or wrapped.

We have a form and function approach to designing and building these tents. The colors we have chosen have proven to be the very best reflective surfaces / colors for hot and sunny weather. Darker colors (such as our competitors use) simply do not last, and do not adequately reflect heat. Our field testing results showed upwards of a +30˚ difference in the surface temp between black and silver anodized extrusion after only a 30 minute sun-soak.

That all said - we can accommodate custom rainfly colors.

C

Production Update - 04/06/21

Tents are backing up in the assembly space and I am happy to announce - Freight shipping has FINALLY been sorted out and the first shipment has been shipped. Once we know the verdict of that shipment (as in...not destroyed by a forklift), we will push forward with the rest.

READ THIS >> A reminder. We are still...just like practically every industry within the US...being affected by delays in even the most basic of raw materials and supplies. Many of which have added ridiculously fluid timelines on essential components and parts.

We kindly ask for patience and understanding. While we are trying our very best to keep things moving, much of the problem is out of our control. Besides...We want you guys to have your tents! Far too much effort has gone into making this all happen.

The next four are presently on final approach and those customers have been contacted.

Cheers. Adventure Simple.

C

It’s okay you can have your opinion, wrong in my eyes but it’s all yours. I am a bit older so maybe that has something to do with it.

Sorry Gents. Been a touch crazy in the shop and I missed this discussion.

Here's the thing. The Terrapod philosophy is "Adventure Simple." We believe in maintaining a simple direction to every portion of the adventure. That said...there is no right or wrong answer to what you prefer on an adventure. While we do all need the essentials, the creature comforts have proven to be a vast array of solutions. All of which are perfect for their owners. At Terrapod, we hope to provide carefully thought out and highly executed, quality USA Made products to make that adventure be more enjoyable.

Cheers,
C

When I purchased mine I asked. The rainfly color has a few selections. As far as the shell goes it's white and silver only. Black was tried and it just got too hot. I would think an automotive vinyl shop could customize it to anything you want it.

Tent fabric, not sure. Maybe in the future? @Terrapod

Other colors of the fabric is possible. At this point in production, won't happen until the supply chain levels off after Covid.

C

The colors we have chosen have proven to be the very best reflective surfaces / colors for hot and sunny weather. Darker colors (such as our competitors use) simply do not last, and do not adequately reflect heat. Our field testing results showed upwards of a +30˚ difference in the surface temp between black and silver anodized extrusion after only a 30 minute sun-soak.

Copy all and thanks for the info. I'm thinking if the composite roof panel was left white as you have it, but the "frame" of the tent and the tent material were tan, it would be the bees knees for me.

Copy all and thanks for the info. I'm thinking if the composite roof panel was left white as you have it, but the "frame" of the tent and the tent material were tan, it would be the bees knees for me.

Tan fabric color exists. Could very well be an option in the near future.

C

Tan fabric color exists. Could very well be an option in the near future.

C

Would look good on our Gladiator!

UTAH 2021.jpg

Howdy Folks...

Welp...we got hosed by our first freight experience. Terrapod's very first customer, was delivered a trashed tent. We have ABF Freight to thank for that.
So...for now, we have decided to offer "white-glove" delivery to groups of regionally centric customers. Meaning - those within the same vicinity that we can group together and make a "route". Today...our own Terrapod "Santa" set out to do just that.

First leg is complete - 1 of 2 tents delivered. More to come. Stay tuned.

EJlPo4O.jpg

bgxzd5J.jpg

Howdy Folks...

Welp...we got hosed by our first freight experience. Terrapod's very first customer, was delivered a trashed tent. We have ABF Freight to thank for that.
So...for now, we have decided to offer "white-glove" delivery to groups of regionally centric customers. Meaning - those within the same vicinity that we can group together and make a "route". Today...our own Terrapod "Santa" set out to do just that.

First leg is complete - 1 of 2 tents delivered. More to come. Stay tuned.

EJlPo4O.jpg

bgxzd5J.jpg

The state of LTL shipping in the country is a disaster right now. I've got trucks that are late in multiple states and multiple damaged shipments. Might be good to look at some of the independent hot shot shippers as an option.

Second that. Trucking is a hot mess. Lack of drivers, the loss of shipping personal to the stream of folks leaving jobs to get COVID unemployment benefits while they sit on their asses has left trucking companies hiring any warm body that will fill a seat. You can not believe the shape of loads we receive...

8A29E3F4-3206-499F-A507-CC41A790198F.jpeg
4251357D-8C71-4860-ACB8-B05AA3790FC8.jpeg

Production Update / Status - 04/28/21

PROGRESS!!

Production is finally ramping up. With the addition of new staff in the sewing department, we are finally able to increase the production speeds of the tents. 5 more will be going out within the next week and more to come as assembly times are increasing.

Materials update: Covid-19 is STILL affecting shortages in a lot of raw materials. That said - we were notified by our composites partner that our order of panels for the first portion of this year has been greenlit for production. This is huge. We were told to delays could be as long as 14 weeks. And frankly...that's a lot.

Pricing of materials has also been impacted. While we do not expect a price increase for 2021. 2022 will be re-evaluated if things do not improve.

Overall - over half of the first 25 units have been delivered. With assembly speeding up, we anticipate wait times will reduce. So...thank you for your patience. We are continuing forward and working hard to deliver you the most robust, well-built vehicle made.

Thanks for your continued support. Onwards!

QWrIy4b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom