Tired of all the same "huge" RTT's, so I made my own: TerraPod

RTTx Update: Product testing is winding down.

-- RESULTS! --

The RTTx has been tested in some of the harshest weather conditions imaginable. From hail to monsoon rains, high winds, and of course hot conditions, the RTTx has done its job brilliantly.

MPG results - numerous long trips have been completed. We have logged results with a 2016 4Runner Trail (modified). Average mpg's from 4 trips (loaded) have been 16.5 to 18 mpg. (results varied due to hills, weather, and traffic).

The prototype mounting solutions have worked out tremendously well. The older vehicles with direct mounting were the lowest, while the 4Runner's mounting has been simple and allows the vehicle to maintain it's stock accessories (Ex: Sat radio antenna).

-- MOUNTING --
The RTTx has been designed to work with off-the-shelf rack mounting systems from Rhino Rack. Namely - the Rhino Rack Backbone. All modern / present day vehicles utilizing this system will do so moving forward. It presents an easy, yet solid solution and works extremely well.

For those running older vehicles: The RTTx will be a custom option, specific to your vehicle. Vehicle examples include older FZJ80's, 100's, etc. The tents will be direct mount ONLY to provide the lowest profile / lightest solution.

Rack mounting: The RTTx has been designed to be a lightweight, low profile RTT solution. Therefore, while rack mounting is possible, it will not be recommended. Accessory mounting will be available directly on the tent itself. (Awnings, Maxtrax, etc). Reasoning - the rack alone adds substantial weight above the COG as well as preventing the slipstream airflow....which in turn lowers your MPG's.

Bed Racks: The RTTx will work perfectly with bed racks. More to come...

-- MATTRESS OPTIONS --

We are aiming for 3 options of mattresses. We are presently testing custom foam, NEMO Equipment's Cosmos and the Exped MegaMat inflatable. Each would represent a Good, Better, Best scenario and will be an individual choice at purchase.

-- FABRIC CHANGE --
We have determined the fabric tested is overkill for what the tent actually needs. Simply put - a RTT does not need to be a Poly-Cotton canvas. Why you ask? Modern Poly-ripstop fabrics are lighter, more robust and offer the same amount of ruggedness. Having 32lbs of just fabric makes little sense. Look for future updates we move forward on this.

-- COLOR CHANGE --
The framing will now be an anodized silver with white panel infill. Reason - silver anodizing will result in a longer lasting finish, and the color will be a better reflector of heat. If a custom color is needed - vehicle wrapped vinyl is recommended.

Fabric colors: Custom rainfly color options will be available down the road. For the immediate future, the rainfly color will be standard.

That's all for now...more to come soon.

Testing out the Lux Foam mattress... Oooo, so comfy.

xMfKqHC.jpg

Happy New Year, everyone!

The RTTx status as of 12/30/19:

- A lot has been accomplished. As such a lot of inquiries and questions have come up as well.
- In-the-field testing has concluded with numerous results taken
- Overall, the tent has passed many hardcore weather events. Including - hail, heavy winds, downpours, etc.
- Coming out of testing some design changes are being implemented. Namely - materials, fabric and rainfly modifications.
- Final designs are being completed that will enable some state-of-the-art material and fabric improvements.
- Work is currently underway to secure final parts sources and vendors. (this is the stuff that takes crazy time)

What's left?

Once we have secured all partners and parts vendors needed for a smooth transition into production, we will open up ordering and get things moving.

Reason: Once we open up things on Kickstarter, etc...we want to be able to quickly implement production and the resulting orders in a minimum wait-time versus, having our customers wait for product. (as seems to be the case with the usual Kickstarter Campaign).

All of this is dependent on the lead time of parts. Please note - usual time to raw materials and custom parts is approximately 6-8 weeks+. We are working on reducing this as best as possible. But this is usually something that improves with time and numerous orders.

The simple fact is - Terrapod would rather come to the table offering a product that is ready-to-go, versus the usual routine of having customers wait months if not year's for the product they paid for.

The Terrapod RTTx has already been designed, prototyped and tested in the field. It is ready to go. The rest is making it happen.

Stay tuned. We are working hard to get there...properly.

Cheers and Happy New Year! Here's to a great 2020.

Ytei5p9.jpg

Happy New Year, everyone!

The RTTx status as of 12/30/19:

- A lot has been accomplished. As such a lot of inquiries and questions have come up as well.
- In-the-field testing has concluded with numerous results taken
- Overall, the tent has passed many hardcore weather events. Including - hail, heavy winds, downpours, etc.
- Coming out of testing some design changes are being implemented. Namely - materials, fabric and rainfly modifications.
- Final designs are being completed that will enable some state-of-the-art material and fabric improvements.
- Work is currently underway to secure final parts sources and vendors. (this is the stuff that takes crazy time)

What's left?

Once we have secured all partners and parts vendors needed for a smooth transition into production, we will open up ordering and get things moving.

Reason: Once we open up things on Kickstarter, etc...we want to be able to quickly implement production and the resulting orders in a minimum wait-time versus, having our customers wait for product. (as seems to be the case with the usual Kickstarter Campaign).

All of this is dependent on the lead time of parts. Please note - usual time to raw materials and custom parts is approximately 6-8 weeks+. We are working on reducing this as best as possible. But this is usually something that improves with time and numerous orders.

The simple fact is - Terrapod would rather come to the table offering a product that is ready-to-go, versus the usual routine of having customers wait months if not year's for the product they paid for.

The Terrapod RTTx has already been designed, prototyped and tested in the field. It is ready to go. The rest is making it happen.

Stay tuned. We are working hard to get there...properly.

Cheers and Happy New Year! Here's to a great 2020.

Ytei5p9.jpg

Impressive engineering, design, and thought presented in this RTT. Fascinating to watch develop, and I hope all that you wish happens, does.

Terrapod RTTx News:

Very exciting stuff is underway. The final production model has begun assembly!

Once completed and finalized, the production version will yield the final parts count and materials required for ordering in quantity. From that point forward - we will open up ordering.

Stay tuned!

All the hard work in design, prototyping, testing has resulted in a roof top tent unlike anything you have seen. And...we cannot wait to share it!

Thank you for your continued support!

Adventure Simple!

899f2am.jpg

I just found out about your work. It's really amazing and very inspiring. I appreciate your desire for low height and low weight. I'd been dealing with the same issue for my build which is on a 2000 Mercedes ML320. Nobody has parts for this truck so everything has had to be custom. The last remaining thing is the tent. Currently I've pre-ordered the Free Spirit Recreation Odyssey tent. It's 7 inches tall and 135 pounds. Could be better but it's the best I'd seen so far until yours.

My other issue has been to decide how I'm going to mount it. The ML isn't the largest SUV but it does have roof rails factory (no cross bars) rated at 220 pounds. I'm going to find a way to mount either directly to the rails or remove the rails and mount directly to the roof. The option recommended by FSR is to use Thule Wingbar Evo cross rails which are also rated at 220 lbs but raise the mount point quite a bit.

I would be happy to support your efforts in getting this project done.

Gary

Attachments

• ml.jpeg
    ml.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 38
COMING SOON!

RTTx Prototype 001 will be sacrificing itself...for the cause.

We will be testing the structural integrity of prototype RTTx001 by dropping a 7" diameter, 6' long pine tree limb from 10-12 feet onto the tent to find out how tough it really is...on camera.

(That is of course, when it finally stops raining here in the Southeast...)

Stay Tuned!

XAs6nnl.jpg

COMING SOON!

RTTx Prototype 001 will be sacrificing itself...for the cause.

We will be testing the structural integrity of prototype RTTx001 by dropping a 7" diameter, 6' long pine tree limb from 10-12 feet onto the tent to find out how tough it really is...on camera.

(That is of course, when it finally stops raining here in the Southeast...)

Stay Tuned!

XAs6nnl.jpg

Awesome. Looks terrific. Eager to see the results. I'm also interested in stability in winds.

I have a hardshell roof top tent on my trailer with tensioned spring arms at each interior corner, which add considerable rigidity when popped up, keeping the whole structure tensioned. I'm contemplating a wedge tent for the top of my van, accessible from inside, though have wondered about its stability in high winds if only supported by gas struts. Especially if anything is loaded on top.

What you've done with yours, design and fabrication wise, has been intriguing to watch and is really quite impressive.

Now that you're ready for production on the full sized Terrapod do you need a guinea pig for the 1 person mini-Terrapod? :D

06/01 UPDATE: Covid-19 caused our supply chain to essentially take a giant dump. Nearly all vendors and partners were shut down as they were marked as "non-essential". Last week, we were notified by a number of them, they were opening back up for business.

Many mentioned if they shipped their products during the shutdown, they would have been fined by their respective locations'.

So..where are we today?

We have started the engines back up and are working to line up the parts needed for a run of the first 50 units.
There are a few things to tighten up...We have to line up a facility (again)...and determine the best place to not only build these, but accept shipments and grow. Once we have a better idea on the timeline...I will post up another update.

Some small fine tuning in the sewing / fabric is still needed. We have a solution that will increase strength while providing a replaceable fabric set solution for owners.
Above all, a big thanks to the believers and followers of Terrapod. We appreciate the enthusiasm and the increase in following over the course of the shutdown.

The tent is truly coming.

Adventure Simple.

RTTx Tent Improvements:

As we head into production, each prototype lended itself to test different ideas and methods in which to create these tents. From the materials to even the mattress, we were careful to truly test out the components that truly worked best.

Here are some of the details and features that have proven to be the best and are slated for the final production version.*
(*Terrapod reserves the right to change the product. Prototypes shown.)

Updated rainfly hard mounts:
7GRbHyf.jpg

Uprated latches & billet aluminum spring rod mounts:
JEqwTTY.jpg

Interior all-weather corner supports:
8pRH8Hj.jpg

Added weather protection & fabric reinforcements:
9NrEcvv.jpg

Improvements to overall construction:
vmjQoSX.jpg

Last but not least - we are still working with Exped® to provide the optional & amazing DeepSleep mattress:
EgamLod.jpg

More to come very, very soon. Thank you for being a part of our journey. We're glad you're here.

Adventure Simple.

What are the chances of storing bedding inside the tent?

For example, I use Teton Sports Double 0 degree bag and a couple of down pillows. The bag itself is pretty thick, but the pillows pack down pretty well. I think current RTT solutions have been pretty good in this regard, but recent solutions from GFC and AT, for example, aren't very spacious inside.

Also, do you think you might add some provisions for plumbing for a diesel/propane heater? Maybe a pre-drilled hole?

I was thinking of running a rectangular rain gutter across the foot of the bed (where the hinge is). It could be used to blow warm/hot air into the space and also reduce the sound signature of the heater. If you had a mattress spring setup similar to how the Mercedes Marco Polo, that would be pretty amazing since hot air could just be piped through the bottom and it could be evenly distributed to the rest of the RTT.

1592859696356.png

Keep in mind...this tent has been designed for optimum aero, and weight efficiency. It is not the end-all be-all space for maximum storage. That said - there is plenty of space for reasonable bedding. There is plenty of space for blankets, the Exped mattress and sleeping bags. We keep all of that in there.

Low profile designs have trade-offs. Some of the features you are aiming for are targeted for larger, more permanent setups such as vans.

Back
Top Bottom