Camp Cookwear Sets

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
So I'm building a new "Chuck box" utilizing the stacking Rigid cargo boxes. Was going to get the Milwaukee set up but they are made in China, where as the Rigid's are made in Israel....lol....bit of a non made in China kick right now.

We have used the GSI Bugaboo set up for about 10 years and it's definitely needs a replacement.

What other options are you guys using? Hoping to get away from anything Teflon coated. Stainless preferable.

I had good luck with my GSI stuff, but switched to a set from Sea-to-Summit because it's like 3/4" shorter and I was trying to fit everything into a specific case that I already owned. They're anodized aluminum, but seem fairly tough. Thin material, but I've not had any problems with scorching food, so it seems to be conducting well enough for the butane/propane burners I'm using.

My only complaint thus far is that they use a swiveling handle with a latching mechanism that's a little finicky. The smaller pot has surprised me a couple of times when I thought it was latched and then it pivoted. This is more of a problem because I'm left-handed and tend to tilt the pot to the right (swinging side of the handle) when dishing food or pouring liquid. Being diligent about checking that the latch is really snapped is all that's required.

Another vote for GSI, I have the nesting set for 4 people...not your grandma's fine china, but it gets the job done.

I use this Stansport stainless stacking set in my Hiker trailer. I like it because it has a variety of sizes, is heavy duty with a thick bottom, stacks, and has a great removable handle. I bought a second handle for ~$25.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HK50IU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71PClrH4fSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I Picked up Snow Peak pots, plates and bowls the last big sale they had. All stainless, and have the coffee mugs as well.

Same. I have a mix of stainless and titanium Snow Peak stuff that is pretty much timeless, and indestructible. My coffee pot is GSI though, it was the perfect size to fit in my AluBox.

For "pots and pans", I've downsized to just carrying the Snow Peak 1500 cookset (aluminum, 2 qt capacity). It nests, and with this simple lightweight set I can do just about any camp meal I care to cook.

If I want to cook big (or if you want to trade teflon for weight), cast iron is legit and I also have my Lodge Dutch Oven.

03EC6481-D676-4632-BBF3-6AF3614CCCA1.jpeg

04FB7282-B2AE-434F-9D93-24BDF2B2BA73.jpeg

B423F3E8-5C4F-48B3-8027-46135924BEFD.jpeg

I had good luck with my GSI stuff, but switched to a set from Sea-to-Summit because it's like 3/4" shorter and I was trying to fit everything into a specific case that I already owned. They're anodized aluminum, but seem fairly tough. Thin material, but I've not had any problems with scorching food, so it seems to be conducting well enough for the butane/propane burners I'm using.

My only complaint thus far is that they use a swiveling handle with a latching mechanism that's a little finicky. The smaller pot has surprised me a couple of times when I thought it was latched and then it pivoted. This is more of a problem because I'm left-handed and tend to tilt the pot to the right (swinging side of the handle) when dishing food or pouring liquid. Being diligent about checking that the latch is really snapped is all that's required.

Hey all, I'm bumping this old thread to call out this issue with the Sea-to-Summit swiveling pot-handle design again, as the company has announced a voluntary recall of some versions of the latch component on their Alpha and Sigma pots: https://seatosummitusa.com/pages/product-safety

They are addressing an issue very similar to what I reported last year, namely that for left-handed users, there's a danger that the pot is not correctly latched and it can swing over during pouring, etc. which creates a risk of burns, etc.

It turns out my versions are NOT included in the recall (it appears I have the "Version 1" latches). In my case the issue is that it is hard to get the latch fully "engaged" unless you know how hard you need to push. Once it is positively locked, it's "safe", but to a lay or incautious user it is possible to operate this design in an unsafe way (especially if left-handed, as I am). For the newer versions, it seems the issue that the latch can be engaged, but can become disengaged due to insufficient rigidity or latching pressure.

If you have purchased one of these pots, check your version to see if it's covered by the recall. If you are considering purchasing one, be sure to factor this into your decision.

FWIW, I will continue to use my pots because they are a convenient size to fit into a very tight space in my kitchen kit. If/when I find another pot system that fits the same space with a better handle mechanism, I will consider replacement and sending my current pots to a right-handed family member.

we use the GSI Bugaboo & loved it. We ordered extra handles so it's easier for the wife to have handles on 2 of the pots or pot & pan instead swapping out handle. We used to use house hold cook wear then finding how much room it took up in our kitchen tote, then researched & went with the GSI Bugaboo set. It works great on our single multi fuel stove or our Camp Chef Everest 2 burner stove.
SAM_1719.JPG

SAM_1517.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom