Corona Virus, general conversation

I belong to a facebook group were it's a mix of dispersed camper & RVer's. The post from the RVer's are out of desperation since Arkansas & other state parks are closing do to the CoronaVius. Some of these RVer's in this group I'd say 1\3rd of them of this group of 11,000 are bound & determine haul their rigs out some were & spend a week end or more during these times. They are even asking private land owners if they can park their rigs on their land for periods of time & camp.

I belong to a facebook group were it's a mix of dispersed camper & RVer's. The post from the RVer's are out of desperation since Arkansas & other state parks are closing do to the CoronaVius. Some of these RVer's in this group I'd say 1\3rd of them of this group of 11,000 are bound & determine haul their rigs out some were & spend a week end or more during these times. They are even asking private land owners if they can park their rigs on their land for periods of time & camp.

Some in my rv groups are trying to find places other than Quartzite,

It's interesting to me to see the responses to this thing across all the sections of America I've been in over the past week. In a wealthy neighborhood just outside of Tampa FL the general consensus among people I talked to was that it was going to blow over and things would quickly go back to normal. In Nashville however I was working with people who were taking alternating shifts watching groups of children: family, friends and neighborhood kids alike as daycares and schools were closed and they didn't have the option to work from home. Many had family members or spouses who had already lost their jobs due to virus related business downturns and they weren't sure where they were going to get the money to buy food, much less pay their bills. The hotel I stayed in there had already laid off 1/2 of their employees due to the slow down in business.

At this point with everything that's going on I hope that everyone agrees this is world changing. Life is not simply going to go back to normal overnight. There will be huge ramifications for years to come based on the hit the world economy is taking. My fear is that as this thing continues and people continue to loose their jobs there will be an uptick in desperation. A desperate person is often forced to do desperate things in order to survive. That will bring with it a whole other load of concerns as many of us look to keep our families safe.

It's interesting to me to see the responses to this thing across all the sections of America I've been in over the past week. In a wealthy neighborhood just outside of Tampa FL the general consensus among people I talked to was that it was going to blow over and things would quickly go back to normal.

The New York Post reports that a lot of wealthy New Yorkers have fled to the Hamptons (Long Island) to escape the crowds in NYC. But now that they're there, they are packing the coffee shops and nightclubs as if the Hamptons has some magical power to keep the coronavirus out.

gun sales & ammo sales have gone thru the roof since the Coronavirus. Whats scary is the individual who buys a firearm & ammo that is unfamiliar with the firearm he or she purchased & re-acts on emotion than logic. My wife carries & I installed biometric safe under the left rear passagener seat of her Pathfinder. The hospital doesn't allow firearms carried w\exception of security. She's good about when she parks on campus being aware of her surroundings she removes her revolver from her purse lift the rear seat places her firearm in & removes the pepper spray then she repeats the process in reverse. I believe this virus will cause a lot of stupid re-action from people that will not look at sane logic. GOD help us.

I think it’s time we as a group took a position on this whole issue. We’re working on an article in the background to fill in some of the information gaps as well as provide some advice on how we can all be productive during these times.

I couldn't agree more, Dave. You might be the first adventure forum leader to actively take a stance or make a statement of recommendations/suggestions.

It is needed. Too many out here right now thinking the rules don't apply to them, that they're in a low-risk group so can still go adventuring, potentially harming the communities they go through, etc.

I'm not part of the inner group here, or anywhere really, though if I can be of help in any way with info, stats, spreading the word, etc, let me know.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Solid group of common sense folks here, IMO. We may not all agree on everything, but we are also capable of having intelligent (mostly) conversations about life's trials and tribulations.

Filled my fuel tanks in both vehicles, topped off propane for our trailer (full timers in a travel trailer), water tanks are full, food in the pantry...I figure we're as ready as we're going to be for whatever is coming.

I couldn't agree more, Dave. You might be the first adventure forum leader to actively take a stance or make a statement of recommendations/suggestions.

It is needed. Too many out here right now thinking the rules don't apply to them, that they're in a low-risk group so can still go adventuring, potentially harming the communities they go through, etc.

I'm not part of the inner group here, or anywhere really, though if I can be of help in any way with info, stats, spreading the word, etc, let me know.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Thanks, we're working on it. Please continue to share real news, valid info and stats etc here so we all stay informed.

Some more info coming down:

As the Pandemic has spread to nearly all states in some capacity, nearly all travel within the US will course through an area of moderate risk or under the declaration of a Public Health Emergency. Contact with a known case remains grounds for Quarantine. Current illness remains grounds for isolation. And travel to an area of a known cluster is worth avoiding.

The current recommendation from the Public Health community is to place travelers within the US on “self-observation”.

Self-observation means remain alert for subjective fever, cough, or difficulty breathing. If they feel feverish or develop cough or difficulty breathing during the self-observation period, they should take their temperature, self-isolate, limit contact with others, and seek advice by telephone from a healthcare provider or their local health department to determine whether medical evaluation is needed.

For the sake of clarity:

Self-observation, personal risk strategy, based on an individual’s travel, exposure or risk factors: inform of risk, close monitoring and readiness to self-isolate if symptoms arise. This includes healthcare workers, those with chronic illnesses, and travelers in the US.

Restriction of movement, risk mitigation strategy, based on travel history: 14 days of stay in your home, if not sick at 14 days release without limitations. Currently applies to international travelers as well, beginning on last day in foreign country.

Quarantine, medical term, risk mitigation strategy, based on known exposure: 14 days stay at home, if not sick at 14 days release without limitations.

Isolation, medical term, Infection control measure, based on presence of illness: stay home until clinically deemed safe to return to society (tested). Applies to COVID19 cases. CDC guidance provides terms of release.

Self-quarantine is a well person with a known contact who willingly stays home for deemed time.

Self-isolation is a sick person who willingly isolates while sick as advised.

After quarantine OR isolation, a "terminal disinfection" of spaces and bedding occupied by the infected is indicated.

The shutdown begins...our entire dealership sales staff was "furloughed", they kept the sales managers and a finance guy...service dept hours reduced, closed Saturday's and I only work every other day, moving forward. Glad to still have the semblance of a job at this point.

The shutdown begins...our entire dealership sales staff was "furloughed", they kept the sales managers and a finance guy...service dept hours reduced, closed Saturday's and I only work every other day, moving forward. Glad to still have the semblance of a job at this point.

Yep, in CA, now NY, IL, much of FL...

Many have no job to go to at all for the foreseeable future, and to be honest, some workers are glad their employer closed instead of going on drastically reduced or rotating schedules, so they can file for unemployment instead of suffering half or a third of what they had been bringing in.

Coming soon to a state near you. . .

The feds have delayed tax day til July 15 and a lot of mortgage cos are allowing to defer payments for up to a year? I heard in some places.

My plant is shut down following the Pennsylvania Governor’s order for non essential business to close. We have been running 60 hours a week for the last three months so everybody should be fine for awhile as long as they stuck back that fat overtime we have been getting.

Full freezer, pantry, and root cellar with 6000 acres of wild fodder out the back door. We’re fine. Michelle is swamped at the hospital not from patients (Census is purposefully Being held low) but from coordinating care for discharges while navigating what’s open or closed.

First time I’ve ever signed up for unemployment in my life but dangnabbit I’ve paid it in all these years might as well get some back.

Most of our facility shut down last Friday and I was one of the lucky few that worked Monday. Other than when Hunter was born I think this is the most time I have ever spent at home, and as much as I hate to say it, I am ready to go back to work. I always thought retirement was going to be great, but retirement without fishing and camping kind of blows.

First time I’ve ever signed up for unemployment in my life but dangnabbit I’ve paid it in all these years might as well get some back.

And the best part is, unlike normal circumstances, where they expect you to be actively looking for a new job and hassling you to prove that you are, since you will be going back when this is done, they'll just mail you your checks and leave you alone.

And the nonsense is starting . . .

One South Carolina man’s alleged effort to get out of work during the coronavirus pandemic landed him behind bars.

Jeffrey Long, 31, was arrested Thursday after he provided his work with a fake doctor’s note, Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright said at a
news conference.

Long worked at a call center in the county and allegedly showed his employer the note that was attributed to a VA hospital in Asheville, North Carolina, according to the Associated Press. The note caused havoc at the call center, which was shut down for days to be sanitized. Long had also visited a school and created panic of a possible outbreak there, according to officials.

“I don’t know the dollar number it cost to disinfect their whole entire building, but it was a large number,” Wright said. “It wasn’t a hundred bucks. It was more than that.”

Officials at the hospital Long claimed to visit said he had not been there in the past two weeks and, according to Inman Police chief Keith Tucker, the hospital wasn’t even conducting tests for the coronavirus at the time.

Long was charged with breach of peace and forgery.

“It seems to me like the fella just wanted a two-week paid vacation,” Wright said. “You can’t do this to people.”

And . . .

An intoxicated 28-year-old New Jersey woman intentionally hacked on a cop after crashing her car — telling the officer he now has the
potentially deadly coronavirus, police said Tuesday.

Lea Piazza, of Wayne, NJ, was arrested Thursday and charged with driving while intoxicated after a single-car accident a few towns over in
Hanover, police said.

When officers were processing the woman at headquarters, cops asked Piazza to cover her mouth while coughing.

“Oh, by the way, I have the coronavirus and so do you now,” snapped Piazza, before telling cops her New York boyfriend had the bug.

Three of the officers who came into contact with Piazza self-quarantined until Piazza’s boyfriend told authorities her comments were “100%
false,” police said.

Piazza was also slapped with a charge of causing a false public alarm over her comments.

Back
Top Bottom