The Random Thoughts Thread

They already make one, the Rally Fighter

1576526624239.png

If this concerns anyone, you should look at apple pay as an option. I switched to apply pay last year and would be lost without it. I just wave my phone at the pump. As I understand it, the station/pump/skimmer never see my card info

Yep. Each time a user initiates a transaction a random one-time use code is generated in lieu of transmitting the user's debit or credit card number.

Yep. Each time a user initiates a transaction a random one-time use code is generated in lieu of transmitting the user's debit or credit card number.
Isn't this the same theory behind a chip card?
What makes chip cards more secure?
When you insert your card at a chip-enabled terminal, the embedded microchip generates unique, dynamic data for each transaction. This makes it difficult for fraudsters to duplicate your account information, which in turn, can reduce the risk of fraudulent charges on your account.

^^^^I think the point was not all "card readers" at gas pumps read the chip, a number of them still use the mag stripe.

Isn't this the same theory behind a chip card?

Yep. But if you're paying at the pump you still have to slide the card into the reader and if someone has tampered with it they can still read the CC number off the magnetic strip (even though the pump itself may use the chip)

Back
Top Bottom