The Random Thoughts Thread

Working on my brother's GX470 this afternoon. Decided to hack the front bumper up to close the gap under the headlights

IMG_20191111_140722.jpg
IMG_20191111_161707.jpg

My brother loaned me a Grand Cherokee while my Tacoma is getting repaired (different story). The driver's side headlight is out and since he's being kind enough to loan it to me in lieu of me having to pay for a rental I decided to change the bulb out.

Holy [redacted] [redacted] [redacted]! Sorry bro. Not happening. In all truth replacing a front bumper is easier on the Tacoma and GX470 than changing the bulbs on a Grand Cherokee.

Why Jeep! Why!

^^^^Having worked for GM/Cadillac and Ford, I'm dazzled and amazed at how difficult changing a simple light bulb is on most of these new cars. Further proof that engineers don't have to work on what they design!

Just looked the Jeep up, it pays 1/2 hour to replace the bulb!

^^^^Having worked for GM/Cadillac and Ford, I'm dazzled and amazed at how difficult changing a simple light bulb is on most of these new cars. Further proof that engineers don't have to work on what they design!

Just looked the Jeep up, it pays 1/2 hour to replace the bulb!

A soon as a design change rolls off the line the engineers should be forced to preform every regular maintenance task on the vehicle 5 times and be paid service tech wages during those tasks.

A soon as a design change rolls off the line the engineers should be forced to preform every regular maintenance task on the vehicle 5 times and be paid service tech wages during those tasks.

Can you imagine the intuitive, user friendly designs that this would inspire? :lol

You need to include the bean counters - too many times, they override good engineering designs with cheaper, cheaper cheaper! :(

At some point in the past, the manufacturers decided that we should all stop doing our own work and bring the vehicles back to the dealer for ALL service and repairs. So they began designing them to encourage this.

At some point in the past, the manufacturers decided that we should all stop doing our own work and bring the vehicles back to the dealer for ALL service and repairs. So they began designing them to encourage this.

Apparently, they weren't worried about pissing off a fair percentage of their customers.

Mid 2000's Passats require removal of the front bumper to change the drivers side headlight bulb....not the headlight itself...just the bulb. 3 hour labor charge at a dealer.

There's a 5 Series BMW from about the same time that requires the entire front clip be removed when changing a turn signal bulb...BMW techs will recommend changing every light when you do this to prevent future labor charges.

My wife had an 07 BMW 3 series and you had to remove the front wheels to replace blown headlight bulbs.

a346d6fc1d7de64b0dee52de794ba0748f276da5147638b8b2fd200eae67948a_1.jpg

Apparently, they weren't worried about pissing off a fair percentage of their customers.

Ah, but if they ALL did it, it didn't really matter if the customers were pissed about it. We'd still have to buy our vehicles from them.

I do wonder if they did it to appease their dealer network. I worked, for about 9 months, as the parts guy at a Chrysler dealership. The factory rep, who stopped by once a month or so, told me that 99% of dealers, who were all former car salesmen, only had service and parts departments because the factories REQUIRED them to have them as a condition of having the franchise. If it was up to them, they'ed just SELL the cars and let someone else fix them.

Back
Top Bottom