What to set for garmin inreach predefined messages?

dlichterman

Adventurist
Hello all -

I picked up a garmin inreach mini after my spot died, and I'm wondering what those of you that also have the garmin devices are using for the preset messages that are free. I feel like one should be "Hey here's where I am, I'm having a great time" or something like that, but for the others I'm not sure. One I had seen was a "hey I'm about to hit the SOS button" to warn people ahead of time when you hit it.

Any thoughts or input of what you guys are doing?

Thanks,
-Daniel

Mine are set to
1 this is where I am camping
2 I am delayed but ok, no help needed
3 I did something stupid and need assistance but it is not an emergency

The problem with #3 is who does it go to? I guess depending on what kind of help I need, I would ask different people, so I'd need to pick who it goes to. In a real situation where I need assistance I'd be directly messaging I think.

you can set different recipients for each message. for me each level goes to a broader group of people. The camping location goes to pretty much Paige and my Mom, same with the delayed. The I need assistance message goes to them along with friends from the community here who I would trust to come out to give me a hand if for no better reason than to be able to mock me.

you can set different recipients for each message. for me each level goes to a broader group of people. The camping location goes to pretty much Paige and my Mom, same with the delayed. The I need assistance message goes to them along with friends from the community here who I would trust to come out to give me a hand if for no better reason than to be able to mock me.

Yeah, the camping and delayed ones I'd probably send to my parents, but the assistance one is tricky since I may be in the truck or on a dirt bike so people will need more info on what help I need. I guess it would save the first message - but then the replies and responses needed would still use some up.

If I need assistance , I'm going to send a real message with details of what is the situation and what help I need if any.

Mine are set up as

Message 1 wx now

Message 2 Stopping here for the night

Message 3 Wish you were here . This goes to my wife

I always get the subscription with more text messages. That way I can chit chat if needed and have the messaging available n case of an emergency.

Last edited:
A situation may happen were that is not easily possible, but I am on the same page with this.

Perhaps, but sending a vague message like "I did something stupid and need assistance but it is not an emergency" is most likely going to cause a possible overreaction like a SAR response. If one needs assistance, it probably be better to text exactly what assistance is needed.

Back
Top Bottom