2018 Taco TRD Offroad

Mounted the FrontRunner roof rack directly to the ARE CX HD internal frame.
IMG_20190330_164020.jpg
IMG_20190330_164100.jpg

Checked the measurements for the holes I had to drill into the rack multiple times. Still relieved when they lined up right.

Always though the Quick Fist flexing around that one mounting point was sketchy. So I made a mount that would take advantage of the two 5/16" holes that pass through both ends side-to-side. It'll work on a FrontRunner roof rack but it should fit any T-slot mount. Or drill mounting holes in any surface.

Alternatively I can remove the Quick Fist and use a locking pins as tie down points for light loads.

MVIMG_20190420_185246.jpg

MVIMG_20190420_193445.jpg

MVIMG_20190420_193631.jpg

MVIMG_20190420_194750.jpg

5 pages of impressive build quality.

Looking at a new Taco in the near future...and this thread has given me some serious ideas/wallet lightening considerations. Thank you.

I just looked back thru this thread. I saw that you did new rear springs. Have you done anything to front suspension?

I just looked back thru this thread. I saw that you did new rear springs. Have you done anything to front suspension?

Yep. So it's OME Dakar heavy full leaf pack replacement and OME 886 coils and OME 90000 firm ride struts. Total Chaos UCAs

What's in the queue. Got a Mobtown low profile bumper on order and I picked up a Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500. Then I think I'm done....

:rolleyes::lol

Who am I kidding.

Last edited:
Took one of the prototype rotopax mounts made from the less costly plastic and started beating it with a rubber mallet to see if I could break it. Did more damage to the mallet.

MVIMG_20190501_123714.jpg

A while back I had the chrome bumper end covers replaced with painted covers that matched the body color. Used the base model's w/o the parking sensor hole and a local body shop painted them. PNs for them are below.

R Bumper Cover - Toyota (52155-04010)
L Bumper Cover - Toyota (52156-04010)

MVIMG_20190406_120729 (1).jpg

I love my Front Runner rack! Numerous accessories and if you have the skill set super easy to build your own. I didn't like the options they had for Max Trax mounts so I built my own and a set for a buddy.

Nice. I lack welding skills and a place to set up some place to learn. I can get stuff 3D printed in industrial plastic though.

What I have in mind is offset arms. By varying the distance between them and their angle I should be able to mount most anything as long as it's not too heavy. If 4 arms are placed at different clock positions, i.e. pointing towards or away from a center, then the distance between the ends of the arms would change if rotated. If the distance is fixed because they're bolted to something then they can't rotate.

Point them all in the same direction then you have Maxtrax twirling on the roof rack like the tassels on a stripper's pasties.

Attachments

• cam1.png
    cam1.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 57
  • cam2.png
    cam2.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
5 pages of impressive build quality.

Looking at a new Taco in the near future...and this thread has given me some serious ideas/wallet lightening considerations. Thank you.

Thanks although your wallet will probably hate me posting the links to everything :)

Front Runner's Antenna Mounts have a mounting hole for UHF SO-239 base antennas. Perfect for ham radios. Not so great for CBs. My first attempt to resolve this by stacking plastic sleeve washers and sleeve bearings didn't work so well. Poor antenna ground. Finally fixed it by making an adapter.

IMG_20190609_100418.jpg

Also. By mounting the Front Runner rack directly to the ARE cap internal frame I removed the middle supports that normally come with the rack. Consequentially the middle slats were bowing slightly when weight of cargo was distributed on only one or two. A 25 mm t-slot rail down the center resolved this problem. ( and Front Runner slot centers are 202 mm apart BTW ).
IMG_20190609_095237.jpg

Last edited:
Took one of the prototype rotopax mounts made from the less costly plastic and started beating it with a rubber mallet to see if I could break it. Did more damage to the mallet.

View attachment 45023

Looks like Nylon12, it's at least SLS. Pretty resilient stuff and decent with temperature changes and quite inexpensive. We print a ton of stuff in that material.

Back
Top Bottom