2017 Tacoma Build

Any self-respecting Toyota Tacoma owner should be familiar with the "deck-plate mod"! Har-umpg, har-umpf! :tango

I mean, this guy said, i saw on YouTube, that he heard they put it on a dyno and that it makes even more HP than a K&N CAI! For reals! :lol

(accent for authenticity)

Wow, who would have thunk it. Looks like this will be my next mod......

Easy mod, A couple of my patches......

20180804_103315.jpg
20180804_103251.jpg
20180804_103246.jpg
20180804_103237.jpg
20180804_103231.jpg
20180804_103220.jpg

I've got the Wheeler's front and rear, been happy with them so far, especially for the price (and I'm carrying more weight on the front with an ARB and winch). I'm jealous of your suspension and shell but you might want to get some help for that patch addiction. :jump:

Ordered new 14 700 Lb. King Springs, getting them installed next Monday. Looking forward to getting some more height back in the front.

skids and bumper in the my future..............

20180208_155658.jpg
F198244962.jpg

20190511_083655.jpg

Last edited:
.Love my lift but have not been happy with all the rake.
:keyboard

Interesting logic there....

I have a transplanted V8, dual batteries, compressor, aftermarket bumper, winch and a bunch of other non-OEM farkle on top of my front axle, sprung by 600 pound Eibach's and it still keeps the rubber on the ground and can be described as harsh at times.

But you got "rake" (you make it sound like genital warts) that you need to get rid of. So your solution is to put on 700 pound springs?

What happens to the rake after you load up the truck? It goes away. What happens to the truck when you load it up and you have 700 pound front springs? It looks it's squatting in the rear.

I can never have quite understood why there is such a need by Americans to "level" their truck. It does nothing for their truck but offer some sort of visual appeal. It has nothing to do with performance by taking the bias off the front axle where the dynamic forces of steering and the majority of braking occurs and decreases the efficiency of front axle suspensions.

My 2 cents...

:keyboard

Interesting logic there....

I have a transplanted V8, dual batteries, compressor, aftermarket bumper, winch and a bunch of other non-OEM farkle on top of my front axle, sprung by 600 pound Eibach's and it still keeps the rubber on the ground and can be described as harsh at times.

But you got "rake" (you make it sound like genital warts) that you need to get rid of. So your solution is to put on 700 pound springs?

What happens to the rake after you load up the truck? It goes away. What happens to the truck when you load it up and you have 700 pound front springs? It looks it's squatting in the rear.

I can never have quite understood why there is such a need by Americans to "level" their truck. It does nothing for their truck but offer some sort of visual appeal. It has nothing to do with performance by taking the bias off the front axle where the dynamic forces of steering and the majority of braking occurs and decreases the efficiency of front axle suspensions.

My 2 cents...

I value your 2 cents...........much appreciated.

I have been reading and reading and it hurts my head with the IFS coilover thing. With my jeep it was easier to understand. From my reading........

-With the Tacomas I should not lift too high or I have other issues.
-If my spring is too light and I lift the truck with the coilover I get too much preload lessening travel so I am told

My thought is I would like to be more level and have some more room up front for articulation. Plus in the future adding armor etc. which at the moment is all stock.

Fixed it a bit...............Looking forward to getting some more height back in the front. :D

Last edited:
I have the ICON 700 spring's on my front end. With the ARB and winch they have made a world of difference. You won't be disappointed with the Kings. Definitely well thought out.

I value your 2 cents...........much appreciated.

I have been reading and reading and it hurts my head with the IFS coilover thing. With my jeep it was easier to understand. From my reading........

-With the Tacomas I should not lift too high or I have other issues.
-If my spring is too light and I lift the truck with the coilover I get too much preload lessening travel so I am told

My thought is I would like to be more level and have some more room up front for articulation. Plus in the future adding armor etc. which at the moment is all stock.

Fixed it a bit...............Looking forward to getting some more height back in the front. :D

You shouldn't go over 2.5 inches - correct.
You will reduce pre-load if you put a spacer in line with your coilover.

You recently replaced the front suspension, right? In the post # 109 images it looks brand new, unsullied by any trail debris. It also look like you have adjustable CO. Why would you replace those springs with a different spring until you've added armor, bumper, winch [whatever} to the front axle without adjusting the height first? Arbitrarily replacing the springs before those changes prevents you from at least testing your current set-up which may prove to be perfect. Hell, you can buy the spring on a Monday and have in your hands the following Saturday morning to install if that's what you decide to do. Why rush to make suspension changes in the absence of altering the constant vehicle weight? It just doesn't make sense to me.

What do you expect for articulation with your stock IFS axle? An IFS axle like yours has physical limitations you just can't exceed - there's only so much you can expect it to do mechanically unless your going to convert it to long travel or perform a SAC. With what you have now you have an exceptional truck but chasing a mythical "perfect" off-road/daily driver will really make your brain hurt. Ask me how I know... :D

You shouldn't go over 2.5 inches - correct.
You will reduce pre-load if you put a spacer in line with your coilover.

You recently replaced the front suspension, right? In the post # 109 images it looks brand new, unsullied by any trail debris. It also look like you have adjustable CO. Why would you replace those springs with a different spring until you've added armor, bumper, winch [whatever} to the front axle without adjusting the height first? Arbitrarily replacing the springs before those changes prevents you from at least testing your current set-up which may prove to be perfect. Hell, you can buy the spring on a Monday and have in your hands the following Saturday morning to install if that's what you decide to do. Why rush to make suspension changes in the absence of altering the constant vehicle weight? It just doesn't make sense to me.

What do you expect for articulation with your stock IFS axle? An IFS axle like yours has physical limitations you just can't exceed - there's only so much you can expect it to do mechanically unless your going to convert it to long travel or perform a SAC. With what you have now you have an exceptional truck but chasing a mythical "perfect" off-road/daily driver will really make your brain hurt. Ask me how I know... :D

Thanks Tim. I will take your advice and have them adjust the coils first for some additional height. You are right, I do not fully understand the limits of my current setup with IFS..................very confusing.

I take the truck off-road often, I am 25 minutes from Johnson Valley and Big Bear so I am out there testing it out so this is where I "think" I need some more height up front. When I wash my truck I also wash my shocks and keep everything very clean (OCD), they cost too damn much not to keep them looking new. :D

Scott - How do you like the snomaster so far?

I love it John. The only issue is the size. As you know I am not very patient so, when they were out of stock with the 65 I believe, they upgraded at no additional cost to this one. It is huge, plenty of space and it is nice having the dual zone...........

Added at least 10 HP...............TRD oil cap, TRD Rad cap, New air filter and Cabin filter. Cabin filter pretty dirty at 20,000 miles.

20190126_114046.jpg
20190126_114041.jpg
20190126_114025.jpg
20190126_114827.jpg
20190126_115235.jpg
20190126_115020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom