Prototype Battery Box

Is there a reasonable option to build one that has two 12v batteries that can be wired in series?

I currently have two motorcycle batteries in a marine battery box that I use to wire in series to get 24v for my RediWelder. The box is HEAVY but it's a lot more portable and generally easier to lug around than it is to take a battery out of a vehicle and then set up with another battery to get the 24v.

I'll have to look to see what size batteries I'm currently using. I've used the current set up once, it turned into a booger weld patch job trying to weld an axle tube back on to an axle housing using wrenches and whatever else could be found to use as gusset material. I'll see if I can dig up some specs for the RediWelder as well. My needs are more likely to be an exception and cost prohibitive. Just brainstorming the idea.

I would love to see a 24v version of something this compact. A little insurance for getting the cruiser started if need be... plus I could run the Engel off 24v power as well.

What size battery do you usually use for this
Is there a reasonable option to build one that has two 12v batteries that can be wired in series?

I currently have two motorcycle batteries in a marine battery box that I use to wire in series to get 24v for my RediWelder. The box is HEAVY but it's a lot more portable and generally easier to lug around than it is to take a battery out of a vehicle and then set up with another battery to get the 24v.

I'll have to look to see what size batteries I'm currently using. I've used the current set up once, it turned into a booger weld patch job trying to weld an axle tube back on to an axle housing using wrenches and whatever else could be found to use as gusset material. I'll see if I can dig up some specs for the RediWelder as well. My needs are more likely to be an exception and cost prohibitive. Just brainstorming the idea.

What size battery do you usually use for this?

The panel frame for the 1200 case is the same for the 1300 case so my panel will work for both. Both cases have a interior length and width of 9-3/8" x 7-1/4" (238mm x 184mm). The 1200 case has a interior depth of 4-1/16" (103 mm). The 1300 case has a interior depth of 6-1/8" (155 mm).

2 Shorai LFX21A6-BS12 (21 A/HR, 315 CCA, 3.03 lbs) will stand up side by side in a 1300 case and only take a a little modification to the panels. Loss of a socket when the battery opening is expanded 32mm and the fuse/resets for the remaining 2 sockets are placed there instead.

Pelican 1200PF/1300PF Panel Frame
Pelican 1300 Protector Case

2 Shorai LFX21A6-BS12 in a Pelican 1300.

The sockets had to overlap the case frame so it's a thicker panel with recesses for the nut rings. Only enough space in the panel for 2 AGC-MDL fuse sockets or use them for the battery leads to the back of the panel. Space under the sockets could be used for something though.

Max dimensions for batteries:
  • Pelican 1300, 150 x 164 x 155mm
  • Pelican 1200, 150 x 164 x 103mm

1300 panel base 24 volt.png

710x528_26112349_14207805_1546913840.jpg
https://www.shapeways.com/product/DEBR52DJD/pelican-1300-battery-panel-agc-mdl-fuse

Not enough room for 3 fuses or resets.

This is a panel for a Pelican 1300 case & panel mount designed for 3 Blue Sea plug sockets and meters that fit a 1-1/8" (29 mm) hole. There are 2 mounting holes for Blue Sea 5021 Fuse Holder. To allow for the extra batery size the plug socket ring nuts overlap the panel mount and are countersunk to allow the panel to sit flush with the mount.

It is sized to fit 2 Shorai LFX21A6-BS12 (21 A/HR, 315 CCA, 3.03 lbs each) to either run in series or parallel.

Other batteries can be used. Max battery dimensions are 150 x 164 x 155mm

Depending on the battery you purchase holes may have to be drilled for the battery leads to access the backside of the panel.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the outlets accesable from the outside of the case or are you worried about venting the battery?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the outlets accesable from the outside of the case or are you worried about venting the battery?

There's nothing preventing someone from drilling holes in the case except maybe having enough depth for the sockets. 1200 case would probably be on the side while a 1300 case would be on the front and back to one side. The batteries I have in mind and linked to are lithium though so I'm not worried about venting. The one below weighs 6.7 lbs and has about 16Ah. The Shorais are also lithium. 2 of them in a 1300 case will be about 9 lbs. with about 40Ah.
img_20181031_211027-jpg.41995

Last edited:
Although looking at the 1300 case you'd have a heck of a time fitting a socket on the case front. The duel battery panel has recesses in the back for the socket nut rings because they had to overlap the panel frame. Perhaps the back has more open space. Still. The curved corners would be a pain to make the nut ring seat correctly.

de0bb338-968d-4c8e-85e4-35d52ff4f805.jpg

Yeah I checked out the batteries you had linked and that's why I was wondering about choice of outlet location. It just seemed to me that it would add versatility, including saving space, if you didn't have to open the case to use it. You'd lose the waterproof aspect, but you're losing that anyways when it's open and from what I've heard, the Blue Sea outlets seal pretty well (water resistant vs water-proof obviously).

There's a few reasons.

If I can come up with a cover for the battery that attaches to the panel that's water resistant then it will be water proof closed and water resistant open. There's a gasket that comes with the panel frame that seats against the panel that's water proof.

For the 1200 case you don't really need the panel then if you are mounting sockets externally. You can just find some way to secure the battery inside the case and drill a few holes in the side for the sockets and you're done. You're basically rolling your own. If you want to use my panel to secure the battery and the fuses / resets and then put holes in the side of the case for the sockets then do it but I don't think you should. ( I'll cover the reason why later and I should make socket blanks to fill unused sockets ).

For the 1300 case there's really no other place for them then in the panel. The curved corners of the case will not allow for sockets on the front, back, bottom. There isn't enough space to come in from the side before you hit battery. The 1300 case was chosen because it uses the same panel frame as the 1200 so all the panels will work in either case.

Case abuse. Close it and everything is protected. Not only from water but some piece of gear won't catch and rip off or puncture the plastic socket covers or smash the face of a meter. Exposing the sockets bypasses some of the protection the pelican case offers.

The biggest reason is frugality. Buy once and cry once? Yes. Buy once and cry twice? No. I paid for a waterproof case and if I put the sockets facing outside then I've downgraded it to water resistance at best. Having them on the outside is a good idea just don't pay for a capability and then discard it. Start with a water resistant case.

Back
Top Bottom