The Random Thoughts Thread

So... according to the data they show, these filters DO work. Interesting.

I have used K&N filters for years. It was the first thing I swapped out on my FJ cruiser. I like that they are cleanable. You pay once but,
you clean them, reapply filter oil and reinstall. If you keep a vehicle for a while the cost averages out. I bought one for a 2002 Ram I had and when I traded for a 2006, I swapped it out at the dealership. You should be careful not too over oil the filter. I'm sure it could foul the mass air sensor.
I also bought the cabin air filter.

Finally got 98% of my tools unpacked and the new shop more or less setup. I'd been avoiding one container that had a hodgepodge of bits, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, Allen wrenches and who knows what else. Finally emptied it tonight and put everything away except for the odds and ends here:

IMG_20190109_010354.jpg

The best part of emptying this container was what I found lurking at the very bottom:

IMG_20190109_010413.jpg

Finally got 98% of my tools unpacked and the new shop more or less setup. I'd been avoiding one container that had a hodgepodge of bits, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, Allen wrenches and who knows what else. Finally emptied it tonight and put everything away except for the odds and ends here:

View attachment 43066

The best part of emptying this container was what I found lurking at the very bottom:

View attachment 43067

Let's see some pictures of the shop.

View attachment 43066

View attachment 43067
Awesome...but HOW MANY of them did you find? :D

Let's see some pictures of the shop.
Ok....and a brief summary?

Unfinished portion of the basement in the new house is about 726 square feet, roughly 22' x 33'. When we moved in I sealed some cracks in the floor using Sashco Concrete Sealant, and then sealed the entire floor with Foundation Armor AR350 acrylic sealant. Underestimated what I was going to need for the foundation armor and spread it a little thin but it's holding up well. Word of caution, don't believe their low VOC hype...get a really good mask...hell, get a old diving helmet and have oxygen pumped in from outside. Pretty sure I took 5 years off my life breathing that stuff in and the entire house smelled for a week afterward.

Bought some of those bulk rack style shelves from Home Depot when they had them on sale before Christmas. Cut the uprights roughly in 1/2 and mated some 3/4 sanded plywood to the top. Several coats of polyeurthane later I've got a work bench that is ergonomically comfortable for me but not for anyone under 6' 3". Used smooth pine sheathing to cover the unfinished walls after moving some electrical around. The electrician that wired this area was not very good and pulled from whatever circuit was closest when he added outlets. I undid a lot of that and ran new circuits to a sub-panel off my main breaker panel.

Put together a drill storage / charging station and shelves for storing fasteners and mounted them to the wall using french cleats. Pegboard organizes most of the tools with motorcycle/automotive specific tools housed in the red tool box. Amazon provided a great solution to buying pegboard hooks: LINK

IMG_20190109_130038.jpg

IMG_20190109_130017.jpg

Need to finish the table top on the giant rolling table I built. Works well as a large work space for assembling projects (or repairing new Sequoia grills that arrive broken). Also has built in channels for clamps and can be used as an out feed table for my table saw (as soon as I build a frame with castors to get it to a matching height). Also going to build a miter saw station between the work bench and the window. Pinching pennies at the moment for a dust collection system before I do that though.

Pulled the motorcycle in yesterday in preparation for some winter maintenance. Just waiting on a $20 single use bolt to arrive. o_O

Awesome...but HOW MANY of them did you find? :D

In my experience 10mm sockets always travel alone. It doesn't matter how many I start a project with, there will only be 1 left when I'm done and I'll only find the missing sockets one at a time years later. This also applies to pencils, chalklines, tape measures and speed squares.

You might want to replace the fluorescent lights with incandescent or LED if you plan on using power tools down there.

While the fluorescent give a good volume of light, their strobing can cause a moving bit or blade to appear stationary. Which could be detrimental to fingers...

I have can lights in my shop. The basic housings are not expensive, and I don't have any trim pieces in the cans, keeping the cost down. Around the shop I use regular incandescent bulbs, and over the table saw and miter saw, I use halogen bulbs as work lights.

It's actually a mixture of LED's retrofitted into fluorescent housings and fluorescent bulbs. Came across a 36 pack of fluorescent bulbs for $8 on clearance a while back and had the fixtures to match them. I've got enough of those bulbs to last the rest of my life now. Knock on wood, I haven't lost a finger yet.

Unfinished portion of the basement in the new house is about 726 square feet, roughly 22' x 33'. When we moved in I sealed some cracks in the floor using Sashco Concrete Sealant, and then sealed the entire floor with Foundation Armor AR350 acrylic sealant. Underestimated what I was going to need for the foundation armor and spread it a little thin but it's holding up well. Word of caution, don't believe their low VOC hype...get a really good mask...hell, get a old diving helmet and have oxygen pumped in from outside. Pretty sure I took 5 years off my life breathing that stuff in and the entire house smelled for a week afterward.

Bought some of those bulk rack style shelves from Home Depot when they had them on sale before Christmas. Cut the uprights roughly in 1/2 and mated some 3/4 sanded plywood to the top. Several coats of polyeurthane later I've got a work bench that is ergonomically comfortable for me but not for anyone under 6' 3". Used smooth pine sheathing to cover the unfinished walls after moving some electrical around. The electrician that wired this area was not very good and pulled from whatever circuit was closest when he added outlets. I undid a lot of that and ran new circuits to a sub-panel off my main breaker panel.

Put together a drill storage / charging station and shelves for storing fasteners and mounted them to the wall using french cleats. Pegboard organizes most of the tools with motorcycle/automotive specific tools housed in the red tool box. Amazon provided a great solution to buying pegboard hooks: LINK

View attachment 43068

View attachment 43069

Need to finish the table top on the giant rolling table I built. Works well as a large work space for assembling projects (or repairing new Sequoia grills that arrive broken). Also has built in channels for clamps and can be used as an out feed table for my table saw (as soon as I build a frame with castors to get it to a matching height). Also going to build a miter saw station between the work bench and the window. Pinching pennies at the moment for a dust collection system before I do that though.

Pulled the motorcycle in yesterday in preparation for some winter maintenance. Just waiting on a $20 single use bolt to arrive. o_O

In my experience 10mm sockets always travel alone. It doesn't matter how many I start a project with, there will only be 1 left when I'm done and I'll only find the missing sockets one at a time years later. This also applies to pencils, chalklines, tape measures and speed squares.
You are so hot... :jawdrop:clap

View attachment 43068

View attachment 43069

Wished I was at this point! Still working on drywall mud and tape. I would have been fired weeks ago in the drywall industry! Thanks for the links on the concrete products. Debating concrete sealer or going whole hog with epoxy floor.

The rolling tables are great. We use them here in the hanger. They double up the tops with 3/4" ply. The mechanics beat the crap out of them but that's what there for.

I think it’s sad when big companies use their media reach to push a political agenda. Especially if that agenda is extreme. They literally alienate half their customers when they bring corporate politics into the picture.

The latest dumbass award goes to North Face. Their crap on social media today has them joining the ranks of Patagonia and a few other companies who, despite making good gear, just can’t stay out of politics.

Seriously, I won’t let politics rule my decisions as a consumer. I’ll shop wherever I want and I recommend others do the same. But big companies that use their influence as a bully pulpit to influence the minds and votes of the ignorant masses is just blatant, political look at me bullshit.

“Look how enlightened we are!”

Meanwhile, their gear is made in sweatshops overseas by underpaid teen laborers... pretty cheeky of them to be all holier than though on any subject.

I think it’s sad when big companies use their media reach to push a political agenda. Especially if that agenda is extreme. They literally alienate half their customers when they bring corporate politics into the picture.

The latest dumbass award goes to North Face. Their crap on social media today has them joining the ranks of Patagonia and a few other companies who, despite making good gear, just can’t stay out of politics.

Seriously, I won’t let politics rule my decisions as a consumer. I’ll shop wherever I want and I recommend others do the same. But big companies that use their influence as a bully pulpit to influence the minds and votes of the ignorant masses is just blatant, political look at me bullshit.

“Look how enlightened we are!”

Meanwhile, their gear is made in sweatshops overseas by underpaid teen laborers... pretty cheeky of them to be all holier than though on any subject.
Yet when a company like BFG supports an Outstanding Trails Program, it helps build goodwill and give the consumer one more reason to buy a quality product. Like you, I won't let that rule my decisions but I will count it in a pro/con comparison for a product that's a worthy choice anyway.

But that probably doesn't meet your definition of extreme political agenda, but it might fit someone else's definition.

But what do I know? I drive a Chevy truck because it meets my needs (no matter what happened in 2008/9); I donate blood at the ARC (no matter how much their CEO makes); and have been known to buy gas at BP after the Gulf or at Exxon after the Valdez.

Yep. So I guess now wearing North Face, Patagonia or driving a Chevy is some form of virtue signaling depending who is looking.

It’s a crazy world.

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom