Soft Shackle - Knot placement vs Strength

java230

Adventurist
Well this showed up in my email a bit ago. Reminded me of the "how NOT to rig things thread" discussion on soft shackles and knot placement.

Knot placement showed 2.2% variance across 10 breaks of each placement. Failure was the loop in all tests.

46372804171_aacaf26f21_b.jpg

I would like to see that same test done with Other soft shackles that are out there. I am a Factor 55 fan, and though I have not used their Extreme Duty Soft Shackles I would assume that it is well constructed product. I have seen many other soft shackle brands, some that I liked, but many that fell short. I would hypothesize that the higher quality the less difference it makes in your rigging, the lower quality the greater. Nothing in this testing makes me change my opinion that you need to rig the knot against the rigging, rather than the middle.

I would like to see that same test done with Other soft shackles that are out there. I am a Factor 55 fan, and though I have not used their Extreme Duty Soft Shackles I would assume that it is well constructed product. I have seen many other soft shackle brands, some that I liked, but many that fell short. I would hypothesize that the higher quality the less difference it makes in your rigging, the lower quality the greater. Nothing in this testing makes me change my opinion that you need to rig the knot against the rigging, rather than the middle.

Agreed.

But, on that note, sloppy rigging leads to sloppy outcomes.

0B46387C-05E7-4D90-92DF-C22827194D95.jpeg

This is correct in my eyes (and many bigger brains than mine) because it causes the noose to tighten. Knot up, against the recovery point is how I like it. NOT in the middle or “however”. No chance of the noose slipping off of the knot.

What’s wrong here is the noose is twisted which weakens synthetic line considerably.

I know that soft shackles are typically built to be 3 or 4 times stronger than winch capacity. So I’m not really too concerned about strength (I don’t use cheap knock off gear) but rather about how secure the connection is.

In the words of a very wise friend of mine, “if the soft shackle is not connected properly and then comes loose, well then you're proper fucked”.

For me, proper, careful rigging is paramount. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast ;)

Interesting thoughts, so more the placement is about careful rigging. I can totally understand that.

II too would love to see more testing.

Safe Xtrac were tested and broke @ 44888, rated @ 42,000. I would like to compare the two side by side to check out construction, Safe Xtrac and Factor 55 extreme duty are the high end brands. The Factor 55 extreme duty are a spendy item.

Is this photo just for demo? Wouldn't you just connect the strap to the steel shackle? Why do you need this extra piece?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    933.1 KB · Views: 59
IIRC Bubba Rope makes the soft shackles and other gear Factor55 sells. They at least make one of the items they sell... Here's the label on my Factor55 Shorty strap:

PSX_20181220_091000.jpg

Is this photo just for demo? Wouldn't you just connect the strap to the steel shackle? Why do you need this extra piece?
I would, and if the radius on that recovery point wasn't too sharp, I'd lose the steel shackle and use the soft one only.
The clevis mount does not have a chamfered radius. Most engineered clevis mounts on after-market bumpers do not provide a smooth radius thus requiring a steel screw-pin bow shackle to be used to allow for that radius and the use of a soft-shackle, if so desired. In that image the soft-shackle is not required, thus allowing me to make the assumption that the picture is for demonstration sake and exhibiting the operator knows that the radius is too sharp on the clevis for synthetic fiber/soft-shackle use.

And there's my biggest problem with soft shackles. All of the clevis mounts I have encountered are too sharp, and the tow hooks that are rounded enough to safely use a soft shackle have been open hooks that will take the loop on the strap so no shackle is necessary.

They do make a really Overlandery way to hang a lantern from your awning though. With most lanterns you'll still be within the 6:1 safety factor for overhead lifts.

I'm still having a hard time buying into the soft shackle craze.
I've always used a properly rated steel screw shackle and never had any issues. If the Army uses them to pull their heavy equipment (M1Abrams for example) out of the mud then the concept is good for me ...

I sometimes travel with vehicles that don't have proper factory or aftermarket recovery points. The soft shackle (which I consider relatively disposable) allows one more option for attachment when it eventually happens.

I sometimes travel with vehicles that don't have proper factory or aftermarket recovery points. The soft shackle (which I consider relatively disposable) allows one more option for attachment when it eventually happens.

They seem rather costly to be "disposable".

I prefer using a short piece of chain to create a makeshift recovery point.

I'm still having a hard time buying into the soft shackle craze.
I've always used a properly rated steel screw shackle and never had any issues. If the Army uses them to pull their heavy equipment (M1Abrams for example) out of the mud then the concept is good for me ...
Good news! The Army is testing (Aberdeen Proving Grounds) synthetic recovery gear for their heavy equipment. It's hefty but not as heavy as an equivalent steel device and requires far less manpower to maneuver and attach synthetic devices, and from a ORM perspective, reduces the potential for injury. So far their performance meets or exceeds steel equivalents.

Back
Top Bottom