2018 James River Rooftop Tent Rally October 19-21

I'll be there teaching a my "Visual Storytelling" class. Went last year to the first one to teach a few classes and it was a great event. Small group, good people, amazing location. The staff at James River State Park has really embraced the overland/rooftop-tent/van-life culture. Last I heard there were around 200 pre-registered vehicles. Last year we had 75.

I'm going, as first of three stops in an extended Rally>Rendezvous>Expo adventure.

Just like county fairs that celebrate harvest time and a hopefully bountiful summer, autumn has become a great time for adventurists, overlanders, and outdoorsman to gather, catch up on what everyone's been up to, and swap stories and skills.

@Dean - glad to see you're doing a class. I didn't see a listing in their marketing or emails that there would be classes/workshops.

The Rally, Rendezvous, and Expo are my only definite stops this trip. I'll probably head to Chattahoochee, Nantahala and the Smokies after the gatherings, though I might head down to the borderlands. All depends on weather and which way the wind blows.

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of old friends and making new ones.

edit: added the poster below

JRRTR18_social_7-27-18.jpg

Last edited:
@Dean - glad to see you're doing a class. I didn't see a listing in their marketing or emails that there would be classes/workshops.

Last year I was the sole instructor and did two classes. They were well received and this year we decided to up the ante a little. The list I saw last was a tentative full slate of classes and instructors. I assume once everything is finalized they will post the schedule. I know there will be a recovery class, a radio class, a cooking class, and a few others making things worthwhile. By no means an expo level slate of classes, but just something to help cultivate the culture with some quality programing beyond just entertainment.

Last year I was the sole instructor and did two classes. They were well received and this year we decided to up the ante a little. The list I saw last was a tentative full slate of classes and instructors. I assume once everything is finalized they will post the schedule. I know there will be a recovery class, a radio class, a cooking class, and a few others making things worthwhile. By no means an expo level slate of classes, but just something to help cultivate the culture with some quality programing beyond just entertainment.

All sounds great to me, @Dean. Thanks for the info. As an educator myself, having taught everything from computers to off-camera lighting, I'm always interested in how others present classes and workshops. Sounds like a good, and diverse, list of offerings, too, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Unless something changes (possible but not likely) me and the mutt will be there. Not sure if we will get there Friday or Saturday. Is camping first come or can we establish an AAV camp? Hoping to meet some of the East coasters!

Unless something changes (possible but not likely) me and the mutt will be there. Not sure if we will get there Friday or Saturday. Is camping first come or can we establish an AAV camp? Hoping to meet some of the East coasters!

Far as I know, @Andy, camping is first-come/first-served. I'm not sure holding an area for those yet not arrived is encouraged at any of these gatherings. I'm planning on being there Fri when it opens for RTT participants, though, and can see what they say. No promises. Making friends with new neighbors is half the fun, sometimes.

Feel free to seek out my spot and camp near if you'd like. Pic below of my typical setup so you know what you're looking for.

They recently released a schedule, too, of activities/workshops/presentations. Seems like a good healthy dose and laid back in style.

basecamp-9428-900.jpg

Due to my continued unemployment it looks like I will be there early Friday now. My sister will be driving out from VB on Saturday as well. Should be a fun weekend.

Yeah, cool, my plans took a turn towards a little more up-in-the-air for the RTT.

Though I'm still aiming for Fri arrival, it may not be right at the 1p opening of the gate. Can't check in before that.

Back
Top Bottom