Shift Pod

IMG_5810.JPG

True statement. Looking at both now in their cases, only difference is length of the case and weight.

Mini is 4.5 feet in its case, full size is 6.5 feet.

That’s also where you get your interior standing height.

Roof rack? From the Shiftpod website the stored dimension is 76" x 13" x 13" for the full size. That's too long for the bed of the Tacoma (73.2") and the interior of the JL Unlimited with the rear seats folded (72.4") unless placed at an angle.

How's the JL's legroom on the passenger side? You at least have the option of moving the passenger seat forward.

I'll chime in about them as I've had one for a couple years now. Mine has been to numerous desert trips where they really shine. Several Desert Rendezvous events. The last one the winds were unpleasant at best but I slept really well as I didn't care what the wind was doing. I have taken it on a couple winter Mojave Road trips we do each year without incident (You guys know about the weather in the high desert in winter). With a Mr. Buddy heater in the morning it makes it really nice getting up and moving around. It's gone on some high altitude trips above Cerro Gordo mine and performed very well. The last one we had lots of rain that turned into sleet which turned into snow. Had a little leaking going on but that was from the window where the drain holes were higher than the lower seams as I have an earlier version but I've also heard this issue was addressed.

I have taken the tent on the Rubicon Trail twice now and it's performed flawlessly. It fits perfectly inside the top of my Garvin rack and I use a couple of ratchet straps to tie it down. I can stand straight up in them and I'm 6'3" What I don't care so much for is the carrying bag is getting old fast and isn't great quality. Lots of rips over time patched up with Duct Tape. The newer versions seem to be a bit more rugged. The floor seems a tad thin for my liking at least in the earlier versions. It's difficult to put a cot or camp chair in them on rough ground without worry of rubbing the floor through.

What I really like about them is if the weather gets bad, really bad I don't care. I go inside and am completely comfortable. I can invite lots of friends inside if it's still early and everyone can sit leaning up against the walls of the tent comfortably and the tent will support the weight. It's a super fast setup and take down. If the winds are ripping it's fairly quiet inside with only a low rumbling heard vs the loud flapping of a nylon style tent. For what they are they are lightweight and easily setup by one person and taken down by same. Super simple with two. I'm not sold on the companies customer service as it seems to be a little lacking but they are targeting another group (Think burning man types &*^% hippies). They are expensive but they do give a very substantial amount of comfort not worrying about that the weather outside is doing (Big plus with mamma and kids). You have to scope out a larger footprint for them than a traditional tent if you have the floor zipped in but it's not difficult. All in all I'm very happy with this tent and thus far when it reaches it's wear out time I would buy another one.

I'll chime in about them as I've had one for a couple years now. Mine has been to numerous desert trips where they really shine. Several Desert Rendezvous events. The last one the winds were unpleasant at best but I slept really well as I didn't care what the wind was doing. I have taken it on a couple winter Mojave Road trips we do each year without incident (You guys know about the weather in the high desert in winter). With a Mr. Buddy heater in the morning it makes it really nice getting up and moving around. It's gone on some high altitude trips above Cerro Gordo mine and performed very well. The last one we had lots of rain that turned into sleet which turned into snow. Had a little leaking going on but that was from the window where the drain holes were higher than the lower seams as I have an earlier version but I've also heard this issue was addressed.

I have taken the tent on the Rubicon Trail twice now and it's performed flawlessly. It fits perfectly inside the top of my Garvin rack and I use a couple of ratchet straps to tie it down. I can stand straight up in them and I'm 6'3" What I don't care so much for is the carrying bag is getting old fast and isn't great quality. Lots of rips over time patched up with Duct Tape. The newer versions seem to be a bit more rugged. The floor seems a tad thin for my liking at least in the earlier versions. It's difficult to put a cot or camp chair in them on rough ground without worry of rubbing the floor through.

What I really like about them is if the weather gets bad, really bad I don't care. I go inside and am completely comfortable. I can invite lots of friends inside if it's still early and everyone can sit leaning up against the walls of the tent comfortably and the tent will support the weight. It's a super fast setup and take down. If the winds are ripping it's fairly quiet inside with only a low rumbling heard vs the loud flapping of a nylon style tent. For what they are they are lightweight and easily setup by one person and taken down by same. Super simple with two. I'm not sold on the companies customer service as it seems to be a little lacking but they are targeting another group (Think burning man types &*^% hippies). They are expensive but they do give a very substantial amount of comfort not worrying about that the weather outside is doing (Big plus with mamma and kids). You have to scope out a larger footprint for them than a traditional tent if you have the floor zipped in but it's not difficult. All in all I'm very happy with this tent and thus far when it reaches it's wear out time I would buy another one.

Excellent feedback thank you.

I The floor seems a tad thin for my liking at least in the earlier versions. It's difficult to put a cot or camp chair in them on rough ground without worry of rubbing the floor through.

Thanks for your input! We have been looking for a good family tent for a while now and the Shift pod is a contender the other that we like is the Jet tent F-25DX. But one of the things I feel its lacking is a PVC tub style floor especially when you cross over the 1k price point. When browsing there webpage the tan shelter pod survivor family kit family tent with its extra included gear seems like it would be a good deal. Has any one laid hands on it or its included gear?

But one of the things I feel its lacking is a PVC tub style floor especially when you cross over the 1k price point. When browsing there webpage the tan shelter pod survivor family kit family tent with its extra included gear seems like it would be a good deal. Has any one laid hands on it or its included gear?

The floor tub on the Shiftpod 2.0 has a PVC coating, I have all of the extra gear as well if you want to check it out. IMHO, the Shiftpod 2 is the best option vice the Shelterpod (Shelterpod is basically a 1.0)

Back
Top Bottom