2003 Tundra

Yes. Changing fuel quality (variable octane) is what the computer is sensing and trying to compensate for, thus throwing CEL's. One of the 3 reasons I did not want to go Toyota V8 when doing the engine swap. This may even be showing codes for the O2 sensors as well because of the erratic burn conditions. Stick with high octane and you may very well see the codes eventually clear themselves after a few consistent performance drive cycles.
Thank you brother. I will give it a try and report back. To be honest, I love the 4.7 in this platform... Crazy power to me (coming from the jeep world for the most part) and we have "plans" :) to keep this thing for a long time... so I am going to follow your advice and try it. 93 otane 24/7 here we come and we'll see what happens. Small investment in the big picture.

I disagree with your neighbor. Not sure on your vehicle but if it is a Bank XX, Sensor 1, then it will affect the engine performance. If it is Bank XX sensor 2 it is only monitoring the cat converter efficiency and not that big of a deal.

Your engine ECM has two modes, closed loop and open loop. In open loop the ECM uses pre-set engine parameters to determine fuel/air mixture among other things. Once everything is up to temperature it goes to a closed loop mode where it is using actual sensor parameters to determine fuel/air mixture. With a failed sensor 1, the engine is always using the preset engine parameters rather than adjusting for actual values.

Thank you brother. I will give it a try and report back. To be honest, I love the 4.7 in this platform... Crazy power to me (coming from the jeep world for the most part) and we have "plans" :) to keep this thing for a long time... so I am going to follow your advice and try it. 93 otane 24/7 here we come and we'll see what happens. Small investment in the big picture.
Worth a shot... the 4.7 is a great motor. The marine version (no relation :D) is even better... no ECM!

I disagree with your neighbor. Not sure on your vehicle but if it is a Bank XX, Sensor 1, then it will affect the engine performance. If it is Bank XX sensor 2 it is only monitoring the cat converter efficiency and not that big of a deal.

Your engine ECM has two modes, closed loop and open loop. In open loop the ECM uses pre-set engine parameters to determine fuel/air mixture among other things. Once everything is up to temperature it goes to a closed loop mode where it is using actual sensor parameters to determine fuel/air mixture. With a failed sensor 1, the engine is always using the preset engine parameters rather than adjusting for actual values.
Awesome info. I will check which sensor it is later this morning. Thanks Bob!

Worth a shot... the 4.7 is a great motor. The marine version (no relation :D) is even better... no ECM!

Sweet baby Jebuzz! I had no idea such a thing existed. An ECM free 2UZ, sure would like to drop that in the Tacoma. I'd only need to take it back out every time I did emissions testing and have what... $20K to burn on it?

Sweet baby Jebuzz! I had no idea such a thing existed. An ECM free 2UZ, sure would like to drop that in the Tacoma. I'd only need to take it back out every time I did emissions testing and have what... $20K to burn on it?
Well, it depends on where you live. In VA the replacement motor has to be dated later than the year of the recipient vehicle. In my case, a 2002 Tahoe LM7 motor, the last year for mechanical throttle linkage. "Drive-by" emission testing on that motor, on what they thought was the original 4-cylinder 3RZ-FE engine, was actually within the parameters for that originally configured truck. Go figure.

Also, within some states, certain counties require emission testing and others don't. Here in occupied Northern Virginia it is required, but in the neighboring counties south of where I live it is not. Another example, I understand that to be true of Oregon as well from my research.

Those motors are hard to come by. The guy I know who did it for his FJ40 had 2 new crate marine motors, but he was a Lexus engineer with "connections".

Been doing a little work on the truck lately. Finished a rear bumper with swingaway tire carrier and now working on the front. Thankfully I had some help.
rear bumper 1.JPG
rear bumper 1.JPG
Rear bumper 2.JPG
rear bumper 3.JPG
rear bumper 4.JPG
rear bumper 5.JPG

So... now onto the front... Had some help in the form of the Joe. Really hate the difference between a Toyota bumper assembly and a Jeep but we are gonna make it work. Not done by any stretch but by using some steel I had in the pile and an old winch plate I think we can come up with something strong enough for a winch and that does not look too bad... although that is the least of my worries. That last photo is the gist of what is going to happen... still working on the design though.
front bumper 1.JPG
front bumper 2.JPG
front bumper 3.JPG
front bumper 4.JPG

Well... Lookie here. This little Tundra just towed his little brother, a 1996 base model 4wd, 4 spd, 4 cylinder, home from Richmond, VA. Ole Tundra handled it fine, that is up to about 60mph :). More to come on this little truck. I think he will be stock for a while and then we'll see what happens.
Truck pulling Truck.JPG

Spent some time at Corolla, NC where beach driving is allowed. A great spot with not too much traffic, good surf, wild ponies and some fishing but no catching. Jonah was home and came along for the trip. He and Joe had a blast in the surf, seemingly practicing for some future CRRC mission :). We kept things fairly sinple with a 10x10 shelter down low, using the truck as a windbreak (It's good to be 5'6"). I built a fish/bait cutting station and attached to the front bumper of the truck.
DSC_1018.JPG
DSC_1021.JPG
DSC_0998.JPG
DSC_0972.JPG
DSC_0985.JPG
DSC_1015.JPG
DSC_1039.JPG

I could go for some Duck Doughnuts. A little south of Wright Brothers National Memorial is Slice Pizza. Also a good place.

Missed the octane stuff, factory books states 87 octane for fuel. Been running it from new in 2003 and with 181.000 miles and no CEL has ever came on to date. Just saying?

Missed the octane stuff, factory books states 87 octane for fuel. Been running it from new in 2003 and with 181.000 miles and no CEL has ever came on to date. Just saying?
No argument there. I think it was more about consistency. I backed up to 87 when the business I work in was shut down in March. Still no cel back.

I also run Chemtool in the tank,mostly on longer trips,engine gets to normal temp and the chemtool helps a lot with carbon build up which I have none and keeps injectors and plugs clean. Also boost octane and will take care of any water in the tank. Good stuff a can every couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom