The First Aid Kit Thread

Fun fact on expiration dates on consumables (non medication): Those are there for the lawyers. “Sterility” means nothing to you in a Wilderness Medicine setting - an expired dressing, roll of gauze or 2x2 is still cleaner than a t-shirt. Clean is important.

Meds on the other hand, they still work when expired they just lose more and more efficacy over time. 6 months past expiration is my rule of thumb for use or don’t use.

Of course, only you can decide what you will or won’t use when the time comes. I’ve seen Vietnam era dressings that were far beyond expiration date, and still quite serviceable.

Expiration dates don't mean much to us as individuals, but don't get caught with them in a professional setting. This applies to visual inspections of product/packaging as well- anything that appears to be damaged or potentially unservicable needs to be replaced. I have no problem personally using expired stuff, and have a bunch of expired stuff at the house, but anything with an expiration date needs to changed out anywhere you have any legal liability. This may be applicable to those who lead trips or to clubs that carry insurance- check with your insurance carriers for more information.

I think you may confuse some folks with your comment regarding sterility also. We should strive for sterility where possible but acknowledge that it's not always possible or as important when dealing with minor injures such as scrapes and scratches where soap and clean (potable) water is usually sufficiant. Anything deep or penetrating we should try for sterility as much as possible, especially if the decision is made to close a wound by any method (trying not to open a whole different can of worms).

Last edited:
This thread is about first aid kits for the average Joe, I’m not trying to write a ditch Medicine novella here and I could care less about lawyers, insurance, or professional standards.

Again, there is no such thing as sterility in a Wilderness setting. I never said anything about not striving for cleanliness in wound care.

I suppose I read too far into the thread.

I understand and appreciate that it was started for the average person, but I also know that some of the people on this forum, yourself included based on the I4WDTA logo, do lead trips/training and have a professional responsibility to clients which may exclude coverage under good Samaritan laws. While I know that an oily red rag held on a cut is probably not going to cause an issue (I've used them on myself before but they really don't absorb well) I'd hate to read about someone getting jacked up over something that is easily preventable. As I'm sure you are all too aware, our litigious society is unfortunately out of control and that extends into our hobbies as well. One of the downsides of my work has been that these sorts of topics have been introduced and I have to touch on them when teaching i.e risk mitigation. :(

I also agree with your comment re. sterility and cleanliness but, as you say, this thread is for the average Joe who may confuse them. I think we are on the same page (sometimes hard to convey on a typed forum even after looking through the smiley things) as you and I both know that clean/potable water, soap and a clean dressing are sufficient for most wounds yet how many people include any sort of soap in their first aid kit or even think of it as a first aid item? The main reason I even mentioned it is that the subject of wound closure came up, as it always seems to in 1st aid discussions. Again, based on our training (both of us are in the medical field at a higher level than basic 1st aid), we are probably going to forego wound closure in the field in most situations, yet we see from these threads that lots of folks carry suture kits without any training on their use. I certainly wouldn’t tell someone not to use an available resource in an emergency simply because it’s not in a sterile package, we can deal with infection later if required.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....
<insert thumbs up smiley here since I couldn't find one> :beer

I think we are on the same page (sometimes hard to convey on a typed forum even after looking through the smiley things) as you and I both know that clean/potable water, soap and a clean dressing are sufficient for most wounds yet how many people include any sort of soap in their first aid kit or even think of it as a first aid item?

Excellent point. A bar, or even half a bar, of good old yellow Dial soap is a wonderful addition to any first aid kit.

One thing I always carry is activated charcoal capsules. These work great for food poisoning and “sour stomach”. They are also recommended for many oral poisoning’s. There are no side effects (other than black poop). It works by adsorbing toxins and then allowing them to pass thru the normal channels. . They are over the counter and cheap.
https://www.poison.org/articles/2015-mar/activated-charcoal

I also carry some steristrips, but fortunately have only needed to use them once on a deep finger cut.

Last edited:
One thing I always carry is activated charcoal capsules. These work great for food poisoning and “sour stomach”. They are also recommended for many oral poisoning’s. There are no side effects (other than black poop). It works by adsorbing toxins and then allowing them to pass thru the normal channels. . They are over the counter and cheap.
https://www.poison.org/articles/2015-mar/activated-charcoal

I also carry some steristrips, but fortunately have only needed to use them once on a deep finger cut.

Pfft... Activated Charcoal capsules are for amateurs. I much prefer 500 grams of Activated Charcoal mixed to a slurry in a liter of Normal Saline, administered via a 14 French Naso-gastric tube and Asepto syringe. That procedure encourages even the most lethargic recipient to immediate attention, thus encouraging them to not repeat that event again. :D

I miss water-boarding, too... <sigh> the good 'ol days... :tango

Surely you could find some piece of Snow Peak kit that could be repurposed for that application. You’ve got a reputation to think about.

Surely you could find some piece of Snow Peak kit that could be repurposed for that application. You’ve got a reputation to think about.
I'm sure it's possible... but other than a Snow Peak 'spork', 450 ml double walled mug, and nesting cup set, that is the extent of my Snow Peak collection.

The folks to talk to are @Dave, @Trump , and @Yuman Desert Rat - they are known as the, "Tripartite League of Distinguished Gentlemen Collectors of all that is Snow Peak". For short, you can just call them the SP Dorks. :D

So thanks to the good feedback from @Dave here, and being that I wanted something before we leave for Moab on Thursday, I ordered the MYFAK from MyMedic last week. :clang

18161165_413594055669495_811980532429619200_n.jpg

I'm still on the hunt for an (empty) FAK bag so I can build up my own kit. Most empty bags sold online are cheap and flimsy. This looks like a good choice, but MyMedic has only the one photo on their site. Any chance you could rip yours open and snap a few more photos for the class?

Thanks!

Hey at least we haven't started wearing their clothing line...

I have a couple of articles from their original clothing line (on clearance)... A pair of plain green shorts.. nothing fancy... They're actually comfortable with nifty pockets. That Paris fashion show crap going on now?? No thanks!!

I'm still on the hunt for an (empty) FAK bag so I can build up my own kit. Most empty bags sold online are cheap and flimsy. This looks like a good choice, but MyMedic has only the one photo on their site. Any chance you could rip yours open and snap a few more photos for the class?

Thanks!

I've got a couple photos of it in post #4 in this thread

Pfft... Activated Charcoal capsules are for amateurs. I much prefer 500 grams of Activated Charcoal mixed to a slurry in a liter of Normal Saline, administered via a 14 French Naso-gastric tube and Asepto syringe. That procedure encourages even the most lethargic recipient to immediate attention, thus encouraging them to not repeat that event again. :D

I miss water-boarding, too... <sigh> the good 'ol days... :tango

Funny story about charcoal; back when I was doing clinicals we had a very pretty, shapely blond co-ed come in who'd had a fight with her boyfriend. As is too common, she'd taken some pills and claimed she was going to kill herself. I want to say she'd taken Tylenol which is also common and very much will kill you if you take enough; I don't think she took many though. Anyways, they got her to puke (only a couple of pills in it and her bloodwork came back showing basically none) then they were going to put a NG tube in her but she said no, she'd drink the charcoal (we used to have cherry flavored but I have no idea what it actually tasted like). So here's this really good looking girl sitting there in a hospital gown and she slugs the stuff down like a champ then smiles. Yikes! I was liking looking at Danny DeVito's Penguin's smile in the Batman movies.

Back
Top Bottom