ZJ Project Log

codyhaddad

Adventurist
Im gonna use this thread to post my ZJ and show yalls whats going on with it. if anyone has questions or tips for me, please tell me. i do have a plan on what i want to add to it, tires, storage, etc etc etc. so lets start it off:

this is my 96 zj. it has a 4.0l inline 6. needs some more work done to it. crank no spark. we suspect its the coil. but yeah... that's basically it. overtime this thread will grow more and more with updates on the project. i like this platform so far and what i can do to it. and yes i know it looks broken
U-66E-C7Ak4vLl8aZuDd4psIB_vNoLO_y9EYDzPpEAeS0bbEzKznEN9_VoQvL4YiFBGORKKLb_OlS1HJUvTUMIcD-d19uV...png

Last edited:
Im gonna use this thread to post my ZJ and show yalls whats going on with it. if anyone has questions or tips for me, please tell me. i do have a plan on what i want to add to it, tires storage, etc etc etc. so lets start it off:

this is my 96 zj. it was a 4.0l inline 6. needs some more work done to it. crank no spark. we suspect its the coil. but yeah... that's basically it. over time this thread will grow more and more with updates on the project. i like this platform so far and what i can do to it. and yes i know it looks broken
View attachment 54033

Inexpensive and plenty in the salvage yards.

I have owned two jeep that had the 4.0, what a great motor. Make sure that you use the correct oil specification for this motor. It uses flat tappet cams which need a lot of zinc additives to protect them from wear (I think that was the issue but make sure you run the right specification oil or you will have a lot of cam wear). Modern oils don't usually have the additives so you need to read the fine print in the specifications. Also, these were a unibody design instead of body-on-frame and could develop a bit of a bend with hard use. Several companies made reinforcement bars that linked the front and rear subframe to provide additional strength. They only made a few billion of these so parts shouldn't be hard to find!

I have owned two jeep that had the 4.0, what a great motor. Make sure that you use the correct oil specification for this motor. It uses flat tappet cams which need a lot of zinc additives to protect them from wear (I think that was the issue but make sure you run the right specification oil or you will have a lot of cam wear). Modern oils don't usually have the additives so you need to read the fine print in the specifications. Also, these were a unibody design instead of body-on-frame and could develop a bit of a bend with hard use. Several companies made reinforcement bars that linked the front and rear subframe to provide additional strength. They only made a few billion of these so parts shouldn't be hard to find!
good to know. and yeah I've found some front rear and center frame stiffiners for cheap

i designed some bumpers. went for a low profile design to maximize room for tires ill most likely make some tube fenders and then weld them to the front bumper and the rock slider. Im still deciding the rear fenders, but the tube fenders makes for a nice easy super strong low profile low weight fenders.
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 14.15.48.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 14.15.40.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 14.15.25.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 14.15.16.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 00.37.32.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 00.37.28.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 00.37.22.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 00.37.07.png

Looks good! What are you going to make them out of? I miss industrial metal supply, nothing like that anywhere near my house here in Virginia.
good question... i have no idea! lol

i think were gonna go with some spare DOM tubes and some steel plates we have from when we did my friend's roll cage and then buy what else we need

took the driver side door panel off since its all busted, gonna get a new one and then take off these doors and put on some half doors I'm making. i posted a video going a bit more into it

feel free to subscribe to my channel for video updates on the jeep because i post there too

Door Panel Video:

jeep works now. wouldnt go into neutral for so long... turns out were all retarded and didnt realize you had to turn the key for it to go into nuetral. anyways, now that its at my house and it runs, ill be able to work on it more. im getting a fuel pump this week and maybe a fuse box

JEEP PROJECT IS BACK. been focused on other builds and personal stuff, but im directing funds towards the zj to at least get it running and new tires. we shall see we shall see. parts should be in soon

Back
Top Bottom