Xpedition Outfitters Meet-and-Greet / Wrenching Day - October 18th, Simi Valley

ventura911

Adventurist
Raul and Danny, of Xpedition Outfitters, are hosting a Meet-and-greet/Wrenching Day. Bring your projects, bring your tools, or just bring yourself and hang out.

WHEN: Saturday, October 18th, 8 AM - ?
WHERE: Simi Valley, Ventura County (Address will be PM'd to you when you RSVP :spy)

Potluck lunch - Cam will be cooking up his world-famous "Tacos de carnitas del Mojoe," but we will need some sides and beverages.

RSVP - To get a head-count, post up with your project needs, what you can help with, and what you can bring for lunch.

So far:

1. ventura911 - solar panel install / appropriate sides for "Tacos de carnitas del Mojoe"
2. fugitive - unable to attend
3. mitch - water pump, radiator, transmission cooler, and alternator
4. stuart - solar power, sliders, front receiver, add rack components / water and sodas
5. porigitty - unable to attend
6. geo.greg - ? / ?
7. BAJA95 - unable to attend
8. ToyAnvil - ? offroad trailer-related / ?
9. quetzal - unable to attend
10. barlowrs (tentative) - ? / ?
11. steve c. - ham radio / ?

See you there!

Kevin

Last edited:
Put me down as tentative.

I'd love if someone were willing to help/do my water pump and steering rack! :)

Put me down as tentative.

I'd love if someone were willing to help/do my water pump and steering rack! :)
I'm Def down to help. If you also wanted to come down Friday evening that would be cool as well.

also i dont have anything to do on my truck so im open to just help wherever im needed....

Last edited:
Nothing on the calendar for the 18th. No single project in the front of the line. Solar pawer, sliders, front receiver, add rack components.

I can bring some water and sodas.

Count me as tentative as well. I have some electrical work I'd like to do if I can gather the needed electrical parts. If not, I may be able to just drive the hyundai up and help others with projects.

Interesting...

Raul and Danny, of Xpedition Outfitters, are hosting a Meet-and-greet/Wrenching Day. Bring your projects, bring your tools, or just bring yourself and hang out.

WHEN: Saturday, October 18th, 8 AM - ?
WHERE: Simi Valley, Ventura County (Address will be PM'd to you when you RSVP :spy)

Very interesting...

This is the official 2014 ARV RSVP list. There is a limit of 100 vehicles.

DATE: This event is scheduled for October 24-26 2014
5. Dragon X / Xpedition Outfitters
6. Raul B / Xpedition Outfitters

Simi Valley on the 18th and Uwharrie, NC on the 24th... Am I to assume that we have sponsors who are now not coming or??? First I've heard of it.

Interesting...

Very interesting...

Simi Valley on the 18th and Uwharrie, NC on the 24th... Am I to assume that we have sponsors who are now not coming or??? First I've heard of it.

For some reason I thought they were flying out??

Okay, reading up on the GS100 vs Solar Cynergy 100, I see that the GS100 is twice the price ($249 vs $125). Its specs sound better, but is it overkill?
SolarBlvd is going to have the best prices, but their panels tend to be larger, heavier, and less efficient due to the solar cells used. SolarBlvd panels will be good enough for what you are doing if the weight and size are a non-issue.

SolarBlvd is going to have the best prices, but their panels tend to be larger, heavier, and less efficient due to the solar cells used. SolarBlvd panels will be good enough for what you are doing if the weight and size are a non-issue.

Here's what I'm hoping to get with a solar set-up:
Looking at 100W panel that mounts to roof rack, preferably with QD's of some sort, that will maintain starting and auxiliary batteries at all times. Would be nice if I could (not that I would, necessarily) run the ARB 24/7 (ARB shows average draw of .87/hour, so ~21/day?). The ability to leave an iPad plugged in full time while on trips would be nice. Removable when using the Tentcot, can also then use it with our travel trailer (two 6-volts in series). Use a sliding mechanism (Accuride, etc) on the rack that would allow the panel to be stored in the middle of the rack the 99% of the time I don't have the Tentcot on it and, when the Tentcot is mounted, allow the panel to slide rearward and over the rear window/awning.

Solary Cynergy 100W - $125
From Solar Blvd.'s website:
Manufacturer: Solar Cynergy
Model Name: PV-SC100J12
Number of Cells: 36 cells in a series (4 x 9)
Max Power: 100W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.0V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 6.30A
Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.0V
Maximum Power Current (Imp): 5.80A
Weight: 17.6 pounds
Dimensions (inches): 44.93 x 25.97 x 1.33
Includes Junction Box And MC4 Connector

Amsolar GS100 - $249
From Amsolar's website:
Pmax = 100 watts @ maximum power
Vmpp = 17.7 volts @ maximum power point
Impp = 5.7 amps @ maximum power point
Voc = 21.2 volts @ open circuit
Isc = 6.10 amps @ short circuit
Length = 40.8" (1037mm)
Width = 20.7" (527mm)
Depth = 1.38" (35mm)
Weight = 14.5 lbs. (6.6kg)

Unless I'm missing something (not unheard of), the numbers are fairly close (specs are close, 3 lb. difference isn't a problem, and the dimensions of either should work with what I have in mind, I believe) and the savings would allow me to stay closer to $200 overall. Speaking of efficiency ratings, however, the Solar Cynergy's module efficiency is 13.03% and Amsolar's is 18.3%. What does this ~5% difference mean in real life?

Rack dimensions 1 (with solar panel).JPG

(specs above in yellow are for the Solar Cynergy 80W dimensions)
Rack dimensions 2 (with solar panel).JPG

After choosing the panel, need to choose a controller, find the slides, and get the correct wiring and connectors. What else?

Last edited:
Just recently installed a Solar Blvd system on m JK. I used 1.5x1.5 aluminum angle iron tek screwed to the panel frame then tek screwed that to runners on rack after painting black. 5K miles all is still tight and can be removed in 10 min if needed. Pm me if you want more pics or details

Attachments

• JEEP SOLAR.jpg
    JEEP SOLAR.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 67
Interesting...

Very interesting...

We are no longer driving to ARV so we're looking into Danny flying out there for the event.

Back
Top Bottom