Warn winch??

Maxcustody

Adventurist
Updated: I have talked with Warn and if something happens to the wireless remote, you are not able to use the Platinum winch.............something to consider if anyone else is looking at this model.

Good morning,

I have done several searches and have not come up with much since this is a fairly new product..........I know asking about winches is probably in about the same realm of what oil to use?:dunno However I will keep it specific and hopefully you can help me out, or at least give me your thoughts.

I have a 2014 JK Rubicon X, with this model the front 10A bumper is basically set up to "accept" a winch. I still need to get a winch centering plate and other odds and ends, however I can use the stock bumper. So the short of it, I will use my stock bumper. Now on to winch choice. I want to install one of the 2:

WARN® ZEON® 10-S https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_10-S.shtml

ZEON10-S.jpg

WARN® ZEON 10-S Platinum https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_10-S_Pltnm.shtml

92815_Zeon_10-S_Platinum_001_weba.jpg

From my 2 choices, the platinum is the newer, faster, better gears, blah,blah, blah. But it is all by remote, clutch control, temps, everything. Kinda cool, but.....My thought on this, with more technology you have the potential for more to go wrong? What if your wireless controller does not work, now what? I don't believe with this model there is any way unless you take the thing apart to disengage clutch, etc.

Looking for some thoughts and opinions. Thanks for your time........

Scott

Last edited:
I would go with the wired controller, just because I'm cheap, and with the minimum usage that a winch typically sees, there is a fair chance the batteries in the remote would be dead, and with my luck, leaking all over the important interior parts! I can't stress winch safety enough. Take it out and use it, familiarize yourself with how it works, make a couple of pulls, even if it is just up a paved hill in your neighborhood.

Thanks Bob. I think the biggest deciding factor is that newer one everything is remote only. Something happens to the remote I have an expensive brick sitting in the bumber

I just talked with Warn. The Platinum sounds like a great product, however like the Rep said, worst case scenario....... if something happens to that wireless controller there is NOTHING you can do with the winch!:eek: That makes it a pretty easy choice after hearing that I think. We have a winch and recovery gear for worst case right? :desertsurvival:desertsurvival:desertsurvival

You can get a wireless unit that works with the regular Zeon. It just plugs in where the wired remote goes and then you operate like the last one you show. Only downside is a small parasitic draw that can cause you problems? Ask Dave he went thru this. I now keep my wireless adapter in the glove box and can install in a flash if wanted.

You may want to ask the Warn rep about a 9.5 CTIS they may interest you and have him explain any differences?

I looked at that as well. I like the smaller profile of the Zeon and the centered winch..................CTI is offset.

I wonder who thought that was a good idea? One of my bosses came from Warn I should ask him, though I doubt he would know anything. He keep telling us about the perfect quality control at warn. After the last two I bought, I have news for him. The 8274 is still the best in the lineup, they should have made a heavier version of it.

I wonder who thought that was a good idea? One of my bosses came from Warn I should ask him, though I doubt he would know anything. He keep telling us about the perfect quality control at warn. After the last two I bought, I have news for him. The 8274 is still the best in the lineup, they should have made a heavier version of it.

Reputation and quality are great for Warn, but when I asked the rep about worse case scenario................his answer "well anything can happen, but yes you need the remote to operate the winch, it can not be bypassed".

Last edited:
I bought a Warn before I had much experience with other brands. I also had remote failure and solenoid failure. Carry spares of both if you buy one. Warn customer service is great, product quality doesn't justify the markup IMO.

If price is less of an object, then my list of winches is as follows:
1) Mile Marker hydraulic. They can (and will) run all day long. Rarely fail if hooked up to a decent power steering pump.
2) Super winch competition series. Big advantage is commonality of parts. Easy to carry / find spares.
3) Warn. Pretty solid product, with a couple critical weaknesses that are thankfully easy to replace.

If bang for your buck is the primary object:
1) Smittybilt XRC. They work. People like to pass them off as cheap knock offs, but never seem to be able to offer any evidence to support a higher failure rate, etc.
2) Super winch tiger shark series. Quality and functionality on par with smittybilt. Tend to be a little more expensive, but share common parts.
3) Tabor. Re-badged Warn. Same guts.

I bought a Warm VR 10,000 with a steel cable. I'm about to switch to synthetic line and other rescue gear. I will probably order the extra remote and solenoid. Btw, is the remote a wireless remote or is it the same thing that's attached to the cable and toggle switch. Dumb question probably but I just don't know the difference in terminology. Thanks Mr. Leary.

I've never owned a wireless winch remote, and have only used them a handful of times. Sorry, not much to add.

I have a Warn M8000 - almost 10 years old and works like the day I bought it. If you take care of it, tear it down every year or two, regrease and inspect and they can last a very long time. I also have the Warn wireless remote. Love it, just unplug the receiver at the solenoid box when not in use to avoid parasitic draw.

Just to add to Mr. Leary's list, Ramsey and Come Up. I've never owned a Ramsey, but I have friends who do have them on their tow trucks and they get used A LOT with no failures. Come Up was at the NW Overland Rally, I had never heard of them but they seem to offer a really good product. Just throwing those out there lol.

I have the Power Wagon Warn winch, and I also have a 12.5 from Tuffstuff.

Never had a problem with either one. As far as I am concerned, the TuffStuff is an awesome deal. I bought mine about 6 years ago, and got a 12.5 winch with receiver hitch mount, roller fairlead, power leads with quick disconnect, gloves, snatch block, and shackle and a winch cover for less then $350, and there prices are pretty much the same now. I ran the winch on the rear of the truck so it got hit with everything that came off of the rear tires and drug over all sorts of stuff and never had an issue. I still take it when I venture out solo. http://truckandwinch.com/winches/electric-winches.html?manufacturer=78

Back
Top Bottom