Using the ARB wiring harness with a switch Pro or SPOD

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
When I bought my ARB compressor my intention was to only fill tires and or run an air tank. I never intended to run lockers because my truck has really good OEM lockers. The plan was to hook it up to my switch pros and mounted under the hood, sounded pretty simple. The problem I found was with the ARB wiring harness.

The wiring harness itself is quite complicated by design and out of necessity. It was designed to hook up the compressor with a pressure switch and run multiple solenoids for front and rear air lockers. The instruction manual was put together quite well and explained different scenarios for set up for your compressor and how to use the supplied harness however ARB obviously never intended you to only use the compressor to fill tires. I explored my options on the Internet and found that both switch pros and S pod offered a wiring harness for the compressor both were about 20 bucks. I decided I did not want to do this and thankfully ARB supplies a wiring diagram to their harness.

You can find the write up on how I prepped the wiring harness so you can do the same on my blog here http://expandingourlatitude.com/?p=242

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just installed the SwitchPros and will be adding an ARB compressor. This is great info but, the link no longer appears to be working. Do you have an updated link?

If you get the wiring harness adapter from SPOD it's plug and play to the supplied ARB harness and believe me it's well worth it.

Switch Pros make a harness for the ARB compressor as well works like a charm.

Do you know if this works with the HP Twin Compressor? Trying to figure out if the 30amp switch on the SwithPros will be big enough. I'm seeing power draw numbers from 28-56.

Do you know if this works with the HP Twin Compressor? Trying to figure out if the 30amp switch on the SwithPros will be big enough. I'm seeing power draw numbers from 28-56.
The Adapter that connects the ARB Harness to the Switch Pros or SPOD only connects to the internal relays for the compressors themselves, and the lockers.

There are two larger wires that have MAXI fuses inline that are supposed to go directly to the battery. These do NOT connect to your switching device. They are the constant power wires for the compressors.

And since the relays within the ARB Compressor itself are low-current, you may hook them to ANY of the 8 outputs on the Switch Pros. (This is never a concern on an SPOD because all of their outputs are 30 Amp, whereas a Switch Pros is only 18 amps per circuit except for 8, which has two output wires to double the current capability, which is why on a switch pros if you have more than one high current device, you still have to use relays).

So I finally was able to look at the diagram and recover the info i used to NOT have to buy the harness from SPOD or Switch Pros. This is for the single ARB compressor.

After lots of googlefu with little to no help on the internet, lots of wiring diagram deciphering and a few texts with @BlkWgn I found the info I needed. For those of you who need this, this is how I'm hooking the OEM ARB CKMA12 compressor loom up to my switch-pros.

-Thick red with inline fuse direct to battery positive, thick black/white stripe and small black (that are taped to battery positive wire) direct to battery negative.
-Three plug setups: use the one with the thick red/white stripe and black/white stripe to plug directly into the compressor (tape off the other two plugs these are for locker solenoids and not used)
-small single red and small single blue wires with small plastic plugs go to your pressure switch which you are still using in the compressor (doesn't matter which way they are plugged in)
-lastly the small red wire (in the bundle (of 4 small wires; red green yellow blue) goes to the switch pros while the other wires are taped off and not used.

So I finally was able to look at the diagram and recover the info i used to NOT have to buy the harness from SPOD or Switch Pros. This is for the single ARB compressor.

After lots of googlefu with little to no help on the internet, lots of wiring diagram deciphering and a few texts with @BlkWgn I found the info I needed. For those of you who need this, this is how I'm hooking the OEM ARB CKMA12 compressor loom up to my switch-pros.

-Thick red with inline fuse direct to battery positive, thick black/white stripe and small black (that are taped to battery positive wire) direct to battery negative.
-Three plug setups: use the one with the thick red/white stripe and black/white stripe to plug directly into the compressor (tape off the other two plugs these are for locker solenoids and not used)
-small single red and small single blue wires with small plastic plugs go to your pressure switch which you are still using in the compressor (doesn't matter which way they are plugged in)
-lastly the small red wire (in the bundle (of 4 small wires; red green yellow blue) goes to the switch pros while the other wires are taped off and not used.

I registered just to say thanks for this info. I am holding my ARB harness in my lap and I finally found my answer.

@Brett C - this is great thank you. Question - did you use the relay in this setup? Or is it not required? I can't figure out what would trigger power on and off w/o the relay involved.

I just did this. Sort out the spaghetti mess of the ARB harness after removing the electrical tape. I just used a simple on/off switch on the Tacoma instead of the ARB switch though.

Red 10/12 gauge wire from compressor connector runs to the relay. Red 10/12 gauge wire from the relay went to a 40amp blue sea maxi fuse block. Then from maxi fuse block to positive battery terminal
Black 10/12 gauge wire from compressor connector to battery negative terminal.

Blue 20/22 gauge wire from the pressure switch goes to the relay
Red 20/22 gauge wire from the pressure switch goes to the on/off throw switch. Then from the switch to a positive terminal on a st blade fuse block with a 5amp fuse.

Black 20/22 gauge wire from the relay goes to ground/negative bus on the st blade fuse block.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5006100/MAXI_Fuse_Block

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5025/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_6_Circuits_with_Negative_Bus_and_Cover

Back
Top Bottom