Travel to Mexico... Copper Canyon

F250inTX

Adventurist
Mods move or delete if should not ask / post here.

Possible meetup with friends for a Copper Canyon trip. I am wanting to register my vehicle online? The links I've found seem to be 3rd party sites. Anybody have a link to where I can register with the appropriate Govt source? Any do's or do nots?

Standard Mexico preparations.

1. Mexican auto insurance (required)
2. Mexican tourist visa. These are usually obtained as soon as you cross the border.
3. Registration for vehicles, if taking an unlicensed motorcycle, quad, etc, pink slip or something official that shows you are the owner.
4. Passport.

General rules for Mexico travel...

1. Mexican truck drivers don't think they own the road, there is no doubt in their minds that they own the road...sometimes both lanes.
2. Avoid traveling at night if possible.
3. See rule 1.
4. Don't drink and drive.
5. See rule 1.

My wife and I both love Baja. If you use common sense and respect their laws/customs you'll do just fine and have a great time. Once you are past the border cities you'll find that the Mexican people are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

A few more pointers...

Keep your eyes peeled for "stop/alto" signs. They love to paint the gutters white in Mexico, but for some reason they aren't much on painting lines in the road for stops, lane markers, etc.

If there is a car in front of you, and you're looking to make a pass, they will usually turn their left turn signal on when it looks clear in front of them for you to make the pass. It's not a guarantee that the road is clear, so still use caution.

The taco shop with the longest line has the best food.

The bagged ice that you buy is usually made from purified water. I have a screwed up gastro system, never had an issue with the ice. Drink bottled water. Some people get excited about eating fresh vegetables because they are cleaned with tap water. I've never had an issue with it, YMMV.

American ATM cards work in Mexico these days. I'm not sure how good the exchange rate is from them. You want to pay in pesos rather than US frogskins to get the better exchange rate.

Carry a believable amount of cash in your wallet, stash the rest of it in a couple of different locations. Keep in mind that you may be out of your vehicle while the soldiers look it over at the check points, so stashing it in your vehicle may or may not be a good idea. I've never had an issue at the check points. Generally speaking, they are just young soldiers doing their jobs.

Cash is king, especially in the smaller villages.

Remember that the roads you are traveling in your built to the hilt, well equipped off highway adventure vehicle are the same roads that the locals travel in their clapped out Toyota's on bald tires with a rusted out bed. As much fun as it can be to play Baja racer now and again, there may be a family around the next corner. I got hit by a guy in a pre-runner a few years back. He hit me hard enough that it tore the left rear corner completely off of the pre runner and bent my front axle housing. My junk was still driveable but it cost me $1000 for a new housing.

The bagged ice that you buy is usually made from purified water. I have a screwed up gastro system, never had an issue with the ice. Drink bottled water. Some people get excited about eating fresh vegetables because they are cleaned with tap water. I've never had an issue with it, YMMV.

The issue with vegetables can be what they were fertilized with. Manure or... ahem, night soil, is no bueno when ingested. Wash vegetables well and you should be ok but it's never guaranteed.

Travel anywhere in the world, including the USA, can get you the bubbleguts.

The BEST form of defense against viral gastroenteritis (fecal/oral syndrome) is frequent and proper HAND WASHING. I prefer old school yellow Dial soap.

It's also helpful to have some appropriate over the counter meds on hand in case you get the 'itis ;)

I wondered about the water story on the vegetables. I'd been going to Baja for years and eating fruits/vegetables without even thinking about it. At some point there was a conversation about not eating them. I took it with a grain of salt while taking another bite of my fish taco.

Pepto Bismol is your friend, bring some with. If that doesn't cut it, CiPro is available at the local Farmacia.

Pepto Bismol is your friend, bring some with. If that doesn't cut it, CiPro is available at the local Farmacia.

Do your research. Like any drug, Cipro aka ciproflaxacin has side effects and some may have allergies to it. One side effect for the physically active to consider is spontaneous rupture of the Achilles’ tendon.

:study

^^^^Yikes!:eek: Thanks for the info on that one.

Trail medicine is a fine line, that's for sure. We carry a wilderness medic text book that a buddy that is an ER nurse recommended. I flip through it time to time while in camp just to be familiar with it's contents. I may not have the answer in my head, but I know where to find it (within reason). I always prefer to have a someone that has formal medical training in the group over reading out of a text as I try to treat an injury!:cool:

Now that's a side effect!! I'd venture that fact is NOT well known by many. Thank you sir

Back
Top Bottom