Trail Welder

Celt II

Adventurist
I have thought long and hard over the years about how to effectively get a welding setup out in the field. I've had several occasions where a welder would have really been optimal to have instead of spending a lot of time rigging something up that needs a watchful eye to make sure it doesn't come undone. I was going through the internet today and came across this: https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/bunweld.html I was wondering if any of you have ever used this or opinions on it? Since my TJ is already setup with dual batteries I'm that much farther ahead. I think this could solve some issues for a budget that won't break the bank.

First off, I’ve never used THIS setup. But I have used a very basic, Jerry rigged version. The very basic version can be made with a set of jumper cables, a piece of “Farmer’s rod”, and the all important correct gauge and length of wire to connect the two batteries. Less than $50.

This version looks pretty refined and appears to solve any guess work but above all it might instill some confidence. Well worth the price point IMO.

First off, I’ve never used THIS setup. But I have used a very basic, Jerry rigged version. The very basic version can be made with a set of jumper cables, a piece of “Farmer’s rod”, and the all important correct jumper cable to connect the two batteries. Less than $50.

This version looks pretty refined and appears to solve any guess work but above all it might instill some confidence. Well worth the price point IMO.

I agree with you. I think when I get a little extra money after the holidays I'm going to get it. From everything I'm seeing it's going to be a big piece of mind on some of these trips I take.

I agree with you. I think when I get a little extra money after the holidays I'm going to get it. From everything I'm seeing it's going to be a big piece of mind on some of these trips I take.
Please give it a couple of trial welds and post the results.

Based on my experience with ruff stuff back in my jeep days, you can count on them both as a company and for whatever products they sell. Everything I bought or saw from them was overbuilt.

I’ve seen the Premier Power Welder used but spendy.

https://premierpowerwelder.com/
I know some folks that run those. While they are nice they are hard wired in taking up space. You have to get a new alternator (supplied with the kit). It's a great semi-portable option. My thoughts with the Bun welder is it's highly portable, will run using 24v which is more than enough for any steel I have on my vehicles. I can pass it into any of my other vehicles easily or it can be ran back and forth along the trail to help someone. Add in the price of $300 vs. about $1,400-$1,800. For me the Bun Welder is just going to be a much better option. Then there is until I get one all I'm doing is talking........

:mike

Last edited:
I know some folks that run those. While they are nice they are hard wired in taking up space. You have to get a new alternator (supplied with the kit). It's a great semi-portable option. My thoughts with the Bun welder is it's highly portable, will run using 24v which is more than enough for any steel I have on my vehicles. I can pass it into any of my other vehicles easily or it can be ran back and forth along the trail to help someone. Add in the price of $300 vs. about $1,400-$1,800. For me the Bun Welder is just going to be a much better option. Then there is until I get one all I'm doing is talking........

:mike

I wasn't stating to buy it. I've seen it used and it works well. Buy what your budget provides. A trail welder is not a high priority for me.

I bought the welder and it has arrived. I have not used it yet but so far I'm very impressed with it after unboxing it and looking it over. I'm going to get some bar stock and weld a few things together to see how it performs from my dual battery in the TJ. At the very least this is like having the AAA Premier service. Nothing like breaking something out in a very bad place and you have a choice of being towed out by your buddy putting him at great risk or trail fixing something.

I appreciate your advice and did buy the other model for the reasons stated. I know folks who have those dedicated units. They are nice but not versatile for my needs and reasons I stated. This model certainly suits my needs and is a high priority to repair breaks. :clap

So its just a spool gun with cable leads, neat! No amperage control? Seems like you may blow thru thinner stuff? I am interested to hear how you think it works.

So its just a spool gun with cable leads, neat! No amperage control? Seems like you may blow thru thinner stuff? I am interested to hear how you think it works.
I think that may be a downside of not amperage control. From what I have read it tends to not do that with the thinner stuff but I have not had the time to set it up and use it yet. I don't know if there is some internal amperage limiter. I have read that you can also use a single battery but I think that would be a huge drain and I'm not sure I want to test that even here at home. I do know a professional commercial welder so I'm interested to see his opinion. As soon as I get some spare bar stock I'm going to run it and see how everything does and hopefully post some pictures.

But until then I do agree that: :pics

I just got off the Rubicon Trail and used the welder out there. My friend snapped his front leaf spring shackle from the upper perch in two pieces. It only took a few minutes to set the welder up using the dual battery I run in the TJ after pulling the leads. The welder worked flawlessly and burned hot. Once going you need to move along at a decent pace because there is no heat control or wire feed control and with two batteries it's a 24v system. The welds had really nice penetration with a very consistent bead. Sorry, I did not take any pictures as this was done when the sun was starting to set at Buck Island and we were all pretty tired. I did hear several comments from the peanut gallery I was with about several of them going to purchase one ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom