Touchpad behavior at this forum using windows 8.1

pray4surf

Adventurist
Retiring my Dell Inspiron and picked up an ASUS Transformer T100 64G notebook running Windows 8.1. Neat unit, essentially a tablet with keyboard dock.

When trying to post a reply on this forum, if I'm un-docked and using the touchscreen keypad, the keypad keeps flashing and won't accept any input. When the tablet is docked and I'm using the keyboard on the dock, it will only record a keystroke after 2-4 attempts. Basically, I'm unable to participate (save for browsing/reading posts).

I kind of expected this on all vBulletin forums, but only this AmericanAdventurist forum behaves like this.

FWIW - I'm viewing the web via IE11.0.9600.16438

If any of you computer gurus have any suggestions, I'm eager to hear them...

Rick

PS - The post starts out referencing the behavior I encountered Saturday and Sunday. Not sure what has changed today. If I visit the forum via the 'old school' desktop (launch IE) everything seems to be OK, whether I use the dock or the touch screen. If I open IE via the Start/Tiles screen, then this unusual behavior returns...

Last edited:
We have seen this issue at work, with Windows 8/8.1 versions. The "tiles" version of IE is not the full desktop version, like normal computers would have but is an "optimized" version and we have seen a lot of issues with this one. Same weird issues with the "tiles" version of Skype, it would not allow a Skype account to log in, only a Microsoft account. If you installed the desktop version, then Skype works like every other version.

I am not sure why AAV is having this but not other vBulletin sites. Could be different versions of vBulletin. It sounds like you found the work around, using the full desktop version. I'll see if can do some testing.

Thanks for the report.

I'm a new member, and having some similar problems on my laptop. When trying to post, many keystrokes don't register, and I keep getting the red underlines of my spell correct showing up or flashing even when the spelling is correct. In the couple of posts I've made or tried to, its been very difficult to make a coherent sentence. It hasn't happened on any other forum.

I'm a new member, and having some similar problems on my laptop. When trying to post, many keystrokes don't register, and I keep getting the red underlines of my spell correct showing up or flashing even when the spelling is correct. In the couple of posts I've made or tried to, its been very difficult to make a coherent sentence. It hasn't happened on any other forum.

What browser are you running? IE is garbage in my opinion, I recommend Chrome or Safari :)

When trying to post, many keystrokes don't register, and I keep getting the red underlines of my spell correct showing up or flashing even when the spelling is correct. In the couple of posts I've made or tried to, its been very difficult to make a coherent sentence. It hasn't happened on any other forum.

DITTO, needless to say problematic?

Dave it was exactly as the quoted post that's why I quoted him. Delayed typing and spelling was off as well

What browser are you running? IE is garbage in my opinion, I recommend Chrome or Safari :)

I have IE. It may be garbage compared to other browsers, but I've never had any troubles with it on any forums. Whatever is happening is unique to here for some reason.

Im odnering if should lave a sentence how it first asow before having o fix I. Tha one ws beyterthan ot attemps.

Now that I have a Windows 8.1 convertible tablet/laptop, let me test both versions of IE (the desktop version and the "Metro" touch version) and see what results I get. Keep in mind, if you are using the version of IE from the "tiles", this is the Metro version, which works slightly different than the desktop version. I find I use Firefox most of the time so I haven't noticed this issue.

Hope you can figure it out. I've looked at google chrome and firefox, both function differently, and I haven't had the patience to figure them out, as IE works and is what I know.

BTW, I have windows 7 if that matters.

This is going to be a test. This is a test from the touch screen. The auto fill word function is working. No issues typing from touch screen.

This is from the keyboard. Both of these are using the IE from the tile area, which is the Metro version of IE.

I can't seem to reproduce the problem.

Something just occurred to me. There was some quirky thing at another forum a year or two ago, at some point someone said to change some seemingly insignificant setting in the personal settings or preferences and it fixed it. It wasnt this problem, it was not being able to get paragraph breaks in posts. Any idea if that may help in this case, or what we'd need to change in our settings?

Another interesting quirk, I seem to be able to type about one sentence if I do it immediately after logging in, then it starts getting weird.

Testing, testing, can you hear me now? Hmm, that's interesting. It seems to be working better.

In settings, general settings, then miscellaneous options, I changed from "enhanced interface" to "standard editor" and now it seems to work normally.

Testing, testing, can you hear me now? Hmm, that's interesting. It seems to be working better.

In settings, general settings, then miscellaneous options, I changed from "enhanced interface" to "standard editor" and now it seems to work normally.

Ah, that might be the key. Looking at my settings, mine are set to standard editor, which might be why I can't reproduce the problem. Good call on that one!!! Thanks for the help!

:like

Back
Top Bottom