Tires for 2013 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
here's the scoop, wife vehicle is a 2013 Nassan Pathfinder, currently she a all season tire on her rig. The last snow we got she complained her vehicle had one heck of a problem getting out of our driveway which is about 100 yards long if you straighten it out. She has about 4000 more miles left on the tires from her last vehicle servicing. Her tire size is 235x65Rx18. She wants something alittle more agressive but not noisy traveling the highways to & from her job. This is what she has currently https://www.amazon.com/Nexen-Roadian-HTX-Radial-Tire/dp/B00RH1LUNQ

Any suggestions? I was thinking what I run on ol' heavy my GMC 4x4 Cooper Discoverer AT's

Conversely the Falkens were the worst winter tire I ever used and I’ve seen a lot more winters.

Theres lots of good choices out there. A lot depends on the vehicle and the climate your in and of course how much you want to spend. Toyo, Nitto, Yokahama, BFG, Mastercraft all make a good AT tire. I tend towards Coopers but we have a set of boring old Hanook Dynapros on the FJ that have well over 45,000 miles on them and have been pretty decent in our long winters. I look for good siping, decent void, a center tread that is broken in blocks and not a solid rib. Don’t discount some of the discount brands made by Cooper, General and such. Some of those are built on the same carcasses as their major sellers and can be great tires. Checking in on who makes what before buying will work out sometimes.

You’ll get tons of recommendation or reactions on tire threads. Many people don’t want to admit when they’ve made a poor choice. Some of it is brand loyalty, you know like “Brand B is the best tire I’ve ever run of course it’s the only tire I’ve run so I have no real comparison.”. Or the famous “It’s the cool thing on the internet so I choose those”. And of course the “I’ve got a sweet deal from the manufacturer to promote these tires I get at discount” so common on the social medias. In the end sometimes it takes a little experimenting to find a tire that works best for your situation. Too bad the damn things are so expensive these days.

the wifes vehicle gets her to work & back 45 minutes to & 45 minute back home, to the store once every other week, & we do run a few trails in her car only staying on the main forest dirt roads. During this last winter storm she mention how horrible her tires perform, in other snow situtations in the past seasons they done pretty good. Her car has no real ground clearance being a stock 2013 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. A few days during this last snow storm she had to take my truck ol heavy & she mention she can feel how much more traction she had compared to her tires on the road. I'm running the Cooper Discoverer AT 3's. The question is how often we get that much snow or ice? not often, in normal winter situations with snow the car does good. This last snow storm was bad enough to be list in the state record in the last 50 years. I got over 14 inches on my place. One morning the snow plows piled up the snow so bad infront of the driveway & froze to single digit that night into the morning hours my tractor wouldn't start, couldn't hand shovel it do to it be frozen. I couldn't clear a path for her, but 2 sets of recovery boards got her over the frozen mount. But again what tire does good on ice or frozen snow especially living in the hills if the Ozarks when ice is in the forcast. I was asking suggestions so I can have a few options to look at & give to her besides my own suggestion.
27332276_1576545815727620_5933597018259423153_n.jpg

Coopers.

Someone here with some inside knowledge as an investigator on fatalities, litigation and NHTSA stuff regarding tire failures (big business that tire manufacturers throw lots of money at to control the messaging) once referred to Cooper’s as “Death Terrains”.

YMMV, but I don’t trust them.

You’ll get tons of recommendation or reactions on tire threads. Many people don’t want to admit when they’ve made a poor choice. Some of it is brand loyalty, you know like “Brand B is the best tire I’ve ever run of course it’s the only tire I’ve run so I have no real comparison.”. Or the famous “It’s the cool thing on the internet so I choose those”. And of course the “I’ve got a sweet deal from the manufacturer to promote these tires I get at discount” so common on the social medias. In the end sometimes it takes a little experimenting to find a tire that works best for your situation. Too bad the damn things are so expensive these days.

Fact. I was a die hard BFG guy most of my life to the point of being a blind fan boy to be honest.

That said, I've been sponsored by BFG and Falken, and know both brands well. BUT, my experience actually running their tires is night and day.

The BFG KO2's sucked in the wet and ice compared to the Falken AT3/W's... I mean they were terrible in comparison. The BFG did not stay round or balanced as long, and were prone to chunking.

YMMV, but if I'm spending money on an AT tire, it''s not a Cooper or a BFG :)

Back
Top Bottom