Thinking of changing up my ground tent..... Looking for opinions.

hidesertwheelin

Adventurist
My current ground tent is a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent, 8 person model. I use this mostly during hunting season. It's a great tent, but takes at least 2 people a good amount of time to set up and break down. Now that my 2 young daughters want to go out with me, I am looking for something that I can put up and take down fast, and by myself. So my 2 thoughts are to either buy a tent to replace this one, and sale it, or buy a cheaper tent, and keep this one.

Option 1 -

I have a lot of $ on a Walmart gift card I won at a work Christmas raffle, and I can buy a RV-5 oz tent. If I get this, I can sale the Cabela's tent, and use that $ towards something else. I have a full length roof rack on my 100 series, so I can store it up there with ease. All the reviews I have read have stated that these tents do good in inclement weather. My only concern, is that we can fit 3 guys on cots in the Cabela's tent, and still have a space in the middle. I'm not sure I can fit 3 guys in the Oz Tent, even without having room in the middle. That said, I have never seen on in person, so I could be wrong.

Option 2 -

I can look at a mid-price quick set up tent like the Gazelle 4 person tent. They are on Amazon for around $250. This will allow me to take my kids, put the tent up and take it down easily, and still keep the Cabela's tent. I know Coleman makes insta-tents, but the last Coleman tent I had was trash. Apparently Black Pine Sports doesn't sale the Turbo Tent anymore, and I never see them used, or I would probably pick one of those up.

Thoughts, opinions??? I can't afford one of the shiny silver geo tents that everyone loves here, and Walmart doesn't sale them, so I can't use my gift card on it either.

MY opinion is to keep what you have. Some of my fondest memories of camping as a kid involves helping dad set up the old massive pain in the tail canvas tent. After awhile the family was a well oiled tent setting up machine! Of course I'm cheap, that may factor into it...

We’re only a couple of weeks away from Desert Rendezvous. I’m sure it’s tempting to buy a new tent before you go but it’d probably be better to use what you’ve got for that trip and walk through camp looking at options. I’m sure someone will have an OzTent you can check out in person. Plus there will be all sorts of other options to consider.

Love my Black Pine - I've got the 4-person freestander turbo. It's unfortunate that they stopped selling them, but they do still sell replacement parts. Nothing fancy about it, just a good, solid tent that I can stand up inside and that goes up and down quickly with no help needed.

Back
Top Bottom