The Random Thoughts Thread

Rock sliders are one of the most versatile of vehicular mods serving many purpose...

1B21586F-1556-4282-B514-9121A9335E2C.jpeg

I love this time of year. All the veggies and fruits fresh from the gardens. And that means zucchini bread, peach cobblers, berry pies, homemade spaghetti sauce, pickles...my tastebuds are pleased.

Right now I’m enjoying a blueberry zucchini bread ala Michelle.
9C283A99-533C-4B42-ABDA-D8A92EC4E9CA.jpeg

It’s awesome. Get yer own.

Tape thimbles. Sticky side out. Why didn't I think of these sooner? I don't want to contemplate how much time I wasted, and how many profanities I've shouted, trying to get a nut on a nearly impossible to reach bolt.

PXL_20200926_171650736.jpg

This rust pile is my brothers GX 470. He's letting me borrow it so I'm installing Rigid backup lights. The upper bolts I could barely get the finger to.
PXL_20200926_170456434.jpg

Last edited:
Tape thimbles. Sticky side out. Why didn't I think of these sooner? I don't want to contemplate how much time I wasted, and how many profanities I've shouted, trying to get a nut on a nearly impossible to reach bolt.

View attachment 53324

This rust pile is my brothers GX 470. He's letting me borrow it so I'm installing Rigid backup lights. The upper bolts I could barely get the finger to.
View attachment 53325

I've used that method many times over the years.

One other method I've used is to put tape over the opening of a box end wrench. Drop the nut it, slide the wrench under the mount/frame, line up with the hole, and turn the nut in.

It also works with open end wrenches, but is a little trickier.

I've used that method many times over the years.

One other method I've used is to put tape over the opening of a box end wrench. Drop the nut it, slide the wrench under the mount/frame, line up with the hole, and turn the nut in.

It also works with open end wrenches, but is a little trickier.
I've done tape on box ends. Also washer, lock washer, nut stacks taped in/on a socket. This was PITA. The bottom of the Metal Tech bumper angles back with it's bottom edge in line with the back face of the crossbar.
IMG_20200927_012816_36~2.jpg

I couldn't get my hand in far enough to hold a nut flush to the surface with the nut taped into either a boxed end or a socket. I think I heard angels sing when the tip of my finger touched the bolt and it was able to thread the nut.

renaissance-mechanics-photo-portraits-freddy-fabris-4.jpg

Last edited:
Did it break under load or was that done with just simple friction between the tire, the ground or concrete, and the tow rope in between?

We were going slow, through a turn on pavement. As I was working the steering (non-powered power steering), I was just thinking "where is the rope?" when I drove over it. I assume the towing truck pulled when my tire was on the rope. It was in 2 pieces in only a couple of seconds.

It really sucks - I won that rope as a door prize at the first Appalachian Rendezvous.

I wonder if I can send it back to Master Pull, and have them splice a loop on the long piece. 16 foot tow strap?

We were going slow, through a turn on pavement. As I was working the steering (non-powered power steering), I was just thinking "where is the rope?" when I drove over it. I assume the towing truck pulled when my tire was on the rope. It was in 2 pieces in only a couple of seconds.

It really sucks - I won that rope as a door prize at the first Appalachian Rendezvous.

I wonder if I can send it back to Master Pull, and have them splice a loop on the long piece. 16 foot tow strap?

Splice a loop on it yourself!

Back
Top Bottom