The Random Thoughts Thread

Audiobooks entertained me/us for a bit until we decided that we were not talking to each other since we were listening.
They still work for me when I'm by myself. I recommend Overdrive, a free app that works with your local libraries.

Funk and Wagnall's was part of a running gag on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in.

UPS fairy came by today.
IMG_20200728_155101.jpg

Does the bottom have any reinforcement running across it or is it just a sheet of aluminum rolled into the bottom edge?

Just a heavy rim and a sheet of aluminum. I guess I could reinforce it myself if I need to with a sheet of ABS or something on the inside. If it comes to me packing these things so full that I need to reinforce the bottom I should have just stuck with the pelicans.

I'm not sure you could pack it full enough to need to reinforce the bottom. I've been using mine for years and never had a problem. I'm not saying its impervious to anything, don't jump in it, but with normal camping gear you shouldn't ever have a problem. Like @Dave says, put a Goose Gear top on the lid and you can use them as steps/seats.

I highly recommend the Goose Gear top plates. Makes them much tougher, and more versatile.
They have one for the Alu-Box 60L but the dimension between it and the Zarges 60L are slightly different. Trying to buy a marred, damaged one just in case I have to hack it.

I'm not sure you could pack it full enough to need to reinforce the bottom. I've been using mine for years and never had a problem. I'm not saying its impervious to anything, don't jump in it, but with normal camping gear you shouldn't ever have a problem. Like @Dave says, put a Goose Gear top on the lid and you can use them as steps/seats.
Do you have an Alu-Box or do you have a Zarges and put the Goose Gear top on it?

Sorry, I assumed it was an Alu-Box. Zooming in, I see Zarges and can't speak to their quality. I suspect they're similar enough as I've heard good things about them, too, just not sure if anyone makes a top plate.

Sorry, I assumed it was an Alu-Box. Zooming in, I see Zarges and can't speak to their quality. I suspect they're similar enough as I've heard good things about them, too, just not sure if anyone makes a top plate.

+1

Just a heavy rim and a sheet of aluminum. I guess I could reinforce it myself if I need to with a sheet of ABS or something on the inside. If it comes to me packing these things so full that I need to reinforce the bottom I should have just stuck with the pelicans.

I was eye balling one as a motorcycle top case. A thin bottom would cause mounting problems though...

I was eye balling one as a motorcycle top case. A thin bottom would cause mounting problems though...
I'd go with a pelican case mainly because there's plenty of mounting options available already. I also think the plastic would take a fall better and the weight difference at that size is probably not that much.

What it doesn't have over the Alu-Box is the middle bead. That most likely adds protection against side impacts for the Alu-Box but not having that feature decreases the cost of the Zarges. The one that I have are $199 and free shipping. They have another version with the same side wall features as the Alu-Box but it's more expensive.

Fits a Zarges 40701, 40702, & 40703. The visible face is the contact side. The round indents are for the 2 rivets in the lid.
Zarges Plate.png

One of my neighbors has decided to leave dog food out for our local bears, and may have been petting the cubs. CPW has fined them multiple times, but that is it. I cannot properly type how pissed I am. These bears will end up dead.

One of my neighbors has decided to leave dog food out for our local bears, and may have been petting the cubs. CPW has fined them multiple times, but that is it. I cannot properly type how pissed I am. These bears will end up dead.

Yep. Wow that sucks.

Do you have dogs? I'd keep their food sealed up as tight as I could. One day your neighbors are going to forget to feed them. Or go on a vacation. Hopefully your neighbors will also have a bag in their car.

Do you have dogs? I'd keep their food sealed up as tight as I could. One day your neighbors are going to forget to feed them. Or go on a vacation. Hopefully your neighbors will also have a bag in their car.

...or if they don’t maybe you could leave some in there for the poor bears...and of course leave the window open a tad....;-)

Back
Top Bottom