The new 2022 KLR650

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Kawasaki discontinued the KLR650 awhile back but now they're bringing it back after a 2 year hiatus.

The new and much improved 2022 KLR650 is back with standard fuel injection, stiffer suspension, optional ABS, and a better doohickey! My 2008 was a beast (see it HERE) and this upgrade of an old favorite has me SERIOUSLY thinking about getting another KLR!

There will be two standard 2022 KLR650 models, one with ABS and one without, as well as two travel-ready models, the KLR650 Traveler and the fully loaded KLR650 Adventure.

The 2022 KLR650 Adventure (shown here in Kawasaki Cypher Camo Gray) comes fully equipped with a set of 21-liter hard plastic top-loading side cases by Shad; LED auxiliary lights; factory engine guards; and two power sockets, one standard cigarette lighter adaptor and one USB. MSRP on the Adventure is $7,999 - SUCH a great value!

Thankfully, the KLR is still basic adventure bike with a tried and true, reliable 652cc thumper engine - and that's a GOOD thing.

CWIJ535LMRDUXLESHVJY6WBTNQ.jpg

Tensile steel frame now includes an integrated rear subframe, while a 30mm longer swingarm adds on-road stability.

ZT2434LSI5FGRCQ2IX4RWFNR3U.jpg

Brakes on the previous KLR650 were a weak point; a larger 300mm front disc with optional ABS should help.

XG42GYSBS5EMJMROM4FD4LY65U.jpg

The 2022 KLR’s cockpit: a new LCD instrument includes a gas gauge (finally!) in addition to two tripmeters and a clock, but no tachometer.

You also get a wider, rubber-isolated handlebar, wider mirrors, a taller, two-position adjustable windscreen, an integrated accessory mounting bar, and two optional power sockets (standard on the Adventure and Traveler models).

The massive, reshaped 6.1-gallon fuel tank will carry you well off the grid.

SMSUCKJG3BEQRD5PX2VLVBDF44.jpg

The new 2022 KLR650 Traveler model - MSRP $7,399. The Traveler comes with two power sockets and a 42-liter plastic Shad top case large enough to fit an off-road-style helmet. And a sexy paint job!

21792ab7-19a7-4761-b006-6894a59b508e.jpg

The new 2022 KLR650 base model MSRP is an attainable $6,699 (ABS model MSRP is $6,999). This new color is called Pearl Sand Khaki and I love it.

SPACZK3TPBEKHE4XC3KKAD7ZBU.jpg

Adventure top view showing the larger, improved rear deck on the new bike - so much room for gear!

5261ef60-4a87-4245-a8c5-47106f4f7d67.jpg

e6f7924c-3bcc-4517-89a5-0023f3db5cab.preview.jpg

I'm withholding all my opinions until I can throw a leg over one, but my gut reaction still has me looking at 850 and 1250 BMWs.

I'm withholding all my opinions until I can throw a leg over one, but my gut reaction still has me looking at 850 and 1250 BMWs.

I did a research deep dive on the BMW F850 GS vs the new KLR. They're really apples to oranges as far as ADV bikes go but what stood out to me was fuel capacity, weight, and price. While only marginally lighter than the BMW, the fuel capacity is a BIG plus for me as is the price. The KLR in top trim is literally half the price of the BMW F850 GS. And, the KLR benefits from legendary reliability.

YMMV, but I am hard pressed to choose!

I did a research deep dive on the BMW F850 GS vs the new KLR. They're really apples to oranges as far as ADV bikes go but what stood out to me was fuel capacity, weight, and price. While only marginally lighter than the BMW, the fuel capacity is a BIG plus for me as is the price. The KLR in top trim is literally half the price of the BMW F850 GS. And, the KLR benefits from legendary reliability.

YMMV, but I am hard pressed to choose!

I loved all my KLRs, but as I age the comfort the BMWs provide can't be discounted. 20 year old me could do 350 miles in a day on a KLR...40 year old me wouldn't want to. A lightly used BMW 850 can be had already modded for the price of a new KLR.

I'm curious to see if the reliability takes a hit with the addition of fuel injection. The KLX250 i had was fuel injected and i much preferred the carburetored version. The FI on the 250 was finicky and introduced things that wouldn't be easily fixed trail side.

Could always split the difference and by a Vstrom...

Good to see it back with some good looking updates. I am a little surprised they didn't go to an aluminum frame to shave a bit of the weight off. But I do get the steel is a bit stronger in some cases.

Good to see it back with some good looking updates. I am a little surprised they didn't go to an aluminum frame to shave a bit of the weight off. But I do get the steel is a bit stronger in some cases.

And easier to repair in South America etc...

Back
Top Bottom