The how NOT to rig things thread!

:dunno

From the level of neglect that I see up in the rust belt, I wouldn't be surprised by a failure of any combination of those.

I realized that my ball mounts were getting rusty so I bought 2 of these from tractor supply. 2" and 2 5/16". They are probably overkill for the weights I pull. They are also a little longer than normal so If I tow something with a upright jack, I can still drop the tailgate. I think they were $125 each.
Capture.PNG

Looks. Fine to me :).... joking..

Yesterday I had a guy who we rigged on a short pull, backing down on his winch (telling him to stop loudly...) contrary to directions... short story was the winch didn’t last the single pull.. motor died. Novice, wasn’t listening or could hear (not sure it was a NA diesel d90) but nice guy, didn’t like what happened but there you go.... everybody was safe on the pull but man the newer superwinch’s (1 year old, this was its first real pull).... my ep9 has done thousands...

Looks. Fine to me :).... joking..

Yesterday I had a guy who we rigged on a short pull, backing down on his winch (telling him to stop loudly...) contrary to directions... short story was the winch didn’t last the single pull.. motor died. Novice, wasn’t listening or could hear (not sure it was a NA diesel d90) but nice guy, didn’t like what happened but there you go.... everybody was safe on the pull but man the newer superwinch’s (1 year old, this was its first real pull).... my ep9 has done thousands...

What do you mean by "backing down on his winch"?

The classic duct tape fixes everything.

TJsG9pJ.jpg
So safety & the Pintle hitch..... I work on a bridge. When the bridge is 10 minutes from opening, the operator sounds a horn so i know to get to a safe spot for the bridge opening. One day, I notice I'm not hearing traffic. I think "Hmmm,, did I not hear the horn? Did they forget to blow it?" I climb up from under the bridge, thru a hatch in the sidewalk & see traffic in gridlock. I walk towards the operator's tower & see the following carnage. The maintenance worker stated he was hooking up the compressor to the truck's pintle. Someone distracted him with a question. He never closed the pintle or (obviously) set the safety pin.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

I was a witness to a recovery that involved a winch from a very well built/equipped Jeep trying to help a novice Jeeper out with a winch pull...the bumper that flew off of the Jeep being recovered damn near killed a couple of people, scary as hell, fortunate learning lesson for all of us. Don't just assume your equipment is correct, and up to the task, without taking a good look at what you are hooking up to.

I was a witness to a recovery that involved a winch from a very well built/equipped Jeep trying to help a novice Jeeper out with a winch pull...the bumper that flew off of the Jeep being recovered damn near killed a couple of people, scary as hell, fortunate learning lesson for all of us. Don't just assume your equipment is correct, and up to the task, without taking a good look at what you are hooking up to.

Truth

The local (volunteer) offroad recovery team was called in to recover a (square body) Cherokee. They had to bring a bumper with them as there was not one, nor were there recovery points.

Back
Top Bottom