The how NOT to rig things thread!

Your pic? If so did you get name of the towing company to avoid like the plague?

Horse without a saddle spotted at a stoplight. Steel cable "tied" to hook on a flatbed wrecker.

3210415605502301670%253Faccount_id%253D1

As long at the knot is a bowline, it should be ok...

Friends don’t let friends rig like this...

1. Soft shackle is rigged incorrectly.

2. You tell me what else is compromising strength here...

8490D24D-5B61-40E5-8BC6-8B0BA900E50D.jpeg

I think the knot on the soft shackle should be on top of the strap, i.e. so that the strap runs through the thick part of the shackle instead of the thinner part.

I am not crazy about the bend in the strap. It certainly compromises strength somewhat. And I can't tell if the thimble the soft shackle is going to has a chamfer for one, or whether its one of the older ones with sharp edges.

But the really glaring problem is that he has far too many lights on the front to be using synthetic lines. He'll melt them all to a puddle of goo as soon as he turns them on.

How is the soft shackle wrong? Asking, I have not learned them yet.

Is it just an optical illusion that their spool is not centered on the fairlead?

Rigged properly, the knot on the SS would be on TOP and at the Factor 55 looking thimble, NOT upside down and at the strap.

Also, that pinch in the strap is troubling. I think that could compromise strength so I would never rig it that way.

That and the Jeep looks like it’s having an oh shit moment... :lol

Rigged properly, the knot on the SS would be on TOP and at the Factor 55 looking thimble, NOT upside down and at the strap.

Also, that pinch in the strap is troubling. I think that could compromise strength so I would never rig it that way.

What is the purpose for rigging the SS knot at the thimble, instead of at the strap?

I can see at the thimble, there is much less chance of the SS opening up due to repeated load / unload cycles (movement, pull on SS, etc.), but why else?

No wonder why people are confused. This is the banner image on the Bubba Rope home page.
1512143214_0_BubbaRopeRecoverRopeHompeageBanner.jpg

What is the purpose for rigging the SS knot at the thimble, instead of at the strap?

I can see at the thimble, there is much less chance of the SS opening up due to repeated load / unload cycles (movement, pull on SS, etc.), but why else?

The knot facing up and at the thimble is most secure. Its also easier to SEE the knot if it’s facing up.

For those of you who were at Appalachian Rendezvous, I4WDTA President Chris Cole covered this during his class there.

And it looks like the winch line is rubbing on the strap.

As a total novice to winching and whats good and bad this is a great thread, I'm learning a lot from others mistakes. Keep up the horrible photos please!

This past weekend I pulled a 4 runner out of a snowy ditch. I was, today, looking to see if there was a universal recovery eye, but alas there is only one I found, and the reviews were not good. One more thing that needs to be standardized. The 4 runner had a cheap bull bar that I was able to use. I pulled very gently hooked up near the frame bolts. Not a great place to pull from and no damage done.

This past weekend I pulled a 4 runner out of a snowy ditch. I was, today, looking to see if there was a universal recovery eye, but alas there is only one I found, and the reviews were not good. One more thing that needs to be standardized. The 4 runner had a cheap bull bar that I was able to use. I pulled very gently hooked up near the frame bolts. Not a great place to pull from and no damage done.
For "universal", I've seen the receiver hitch shackle when the vehicle has the proper hitch but its limitations usually include pulling from the rear, not always an option for the snowy ditch stuck.
Samples: https://www.4wheelparts.com/b/winches/receiver-shackle/_/N-cm7n5

I watched amazons "Grand Tour" season 3 last night and on episode 2 and 3 they have to keep pulling each other out of holes, ruts, and the ocean. After reading through the posts I kept thinking to my self "That's not safe, that's not safe, who let them do this, that line is gona snap *boin* yep, it snapped." I will admit though, using hammonds lifted 1998 chevy truck as a bridge for a fiat and a jeep to drive over was amusing.

For "universal", I've seen the receiver hitch shackle when the vehicle has the proper hitch but its limitations usually include pulling from the rear, not always an option for the snowy ditch stuck.
Samples: https://www.4wheelparts.com/b/winches/receiver-shackle/_/N-cm7n5

There's frame cluster & grab hooks used by the towing industry for unibody vehicles. Beyond that I couldn't tell you what brand to get.
e.g. https://www.truckntow.com/tow-chains-straps/tow-hooks-tiedown-hooks/frame-hook-clusters.html

I thought about getting some but, to be honest, I'm not buying someone else's recovery gear specific for their vehicle. Happy to help with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom