The Fire Extinguisher Thread

I agree completely, and this, oddly, is my roundabout argument for choosing a solid but inexpensive "regular" shovel versus a fancy "overlanding" shovel.

There are a lot of high-performance fancy shovels out there. I'm certain they're all superior tools - either because they're stronger, lighter, or double as cutting tools, or double as pry-bars for casting your rig off a boulder, or whatever. That said, if it's going to be useful as a firefighting tool, my shovel needs to be readily accessible by anyone who might need it. For many folks (me included), this means stored outside the vehicle, and not secured. (No good messing with a padlock or cable if you need a scoop of dirt RIGHT NOW.) (If you can safely mount a shovel inside your vehicle, more power to you, though hopefully this arrangement doesn't preclude quick access either.)

I carry a <$20 big box pointed digging shovel because it gets the job done, but I won't cry if someone boosts it off the back of the rig while I'm having lunch on my way through town.

Back to the topic at hand: Has anyone else found the economics of refilling fire extinguishers to be kind of crazy? I used a few puffs from the 5lb unit in my shop to deal with a tiny rag fire on a bench and found that the "non-service-contract"/one-off pricing from my local shops to be as much or more than just ordering a new unit from Amazon. :mad:

100% I am required to have extinguishers in the shop by the fire dept. Its literally cheaper to buy a new 2 pack every year than to have them serviced.

I have a LOT of "expired" extinguishers that I am sure still work fine under the welding bench, and one "new" one by each door. Its silly.

On the shovel front, I like the Fiskars all metal one, still inexpensive (~$25) and the handle being metal does not beak down in the UV like wood or fiberglass. It does have a funky bend which makes mounting harder however.

This just in. Saw a video where the performance was shockingly ineffective on a fuel fire. Recommendation revoked!

CC60B6DE-.jpeg

Personally was never a fan of this device. Not suprised and honestly glad the truth is finally out.

Well that was some good info. I was actually looking to buy one during their black Friday sale but looks like I am going to pass on it.

Jemony Christmus, this is some really good info. What makes me scratch my head is the videos the company shows on their website and other independent reviews along with the Euro CE and TUV endorsements. I can't help but think something must be off here.

Jemony Christmus, this is some really good info. What makes me scratch my head is the videos the company shows on their website along with the Euro CE and TUV endorsements. I can't help but think something must be off here.

Agreed. That said, independent reviews and real world examples speak volumes. So does the lack of certification in the US.

This is a topic worthy of discussion because I also see things like this:

I wonder if we have any resident nozzle heads on this forum that can chime in on their opinions?

I have dealt with two vehicle fires:
1: Car in parking lot. We used 3 large ABC extinguishers from a business for an enginebay fire. I considered it small when detected but a fuel line had been compromised and could not extinguish it. Fully engulfed in under 10 minutes

2: Neighbor's Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical fire inside dash. 2 home extinguishers couldn't get it but a garden hose was available and we got it under control after flooding inside. Total loss.

Most any fire extinguisher sized for a vehicle is practically a false sense of security. There can be an incredible about of fuel and heat in a short time and killing off one of those to stop combustion is difficult. Time is of the essence and a group with multiple extinguishers ups the chance of control.

Based on the information they provided.

It uses a Potassium salt jet (a unique method among fire extinguishers) that employs the vaporization of the salt in the environment followed by the condensation of its extinguishing substance.

So... The Element fire extinguisher is a chemical reaction that releases potassium chloride. The same chemical that was used in older B & C dry chemical fire extinguishes. This would support the campfire dying out in the video that @Herbie posted.

But, it doesn't produce a lot of it. Limited by the small volume of the Element extinguisher that's makes it so attractive as an alternative to a standard fire extinguisher in the first place.

If it was me, and if it wasn't some classic, I'd remove what I could from the vehicle and let it burn. Use the extinguisher to keep the fire from spreading.

The chemicals in B & C fire extinguishes can be very corrosive when mixed with water and it's going to get everywhere. In wiring harnesses, deep in the body and frame,....

Nope. I don't want to be chasing those gremlins and looking at the pavement roll by through the hole in the floorboard.

Back
Top Bottom