The Dark Side of Navigation Apps

That’s one of the things I hate about Waze (I have a love/hate for that app)

Seems like it takes you by the most bizarre route possible, every time. Regardless of traffic.

While I sympathize, there's no way that will hold up in court. It will be overturned the first time a resident's guest is fined for going out to grab breakfast, using the same logic that's used to arrest out-of-control protesters (and rightly so).

It's also completely unnecessary, all you have to do is put up "no thru traffic" signs and enforce the existing law. This is in effect many places, and works perfectly wherever it's actually enforced (mapping apps also respect this status and will not route through those streets).

People need to use common sense also. Just because the GPS tells them to do something doesn't remove their responsibility to not do stupid things. We had a GPS from TomTom that consistently would get us off an interstate, and then right back on in Indianapolis. It did it every time. I ignored it, as I should have.

People need to use common sense also. Just because the GPS tells them to do something doesn't remove their responsibility to not do stupid things. We had a GPS from TomTom that consistently would get us off an interstate, and then right back on in Indianapolis. It did it every time. I ignored it, as I should have.

When traveling, I usually run a GPS app in the background even if I know where I'm going just to see traffic, speed limits etc. Many times, too often actually, I find that the app (pick one, they're all comparable now) is directing me in a non-efficient or unconventional direction. I just ignore it and eventually the routes line back up.

Even with the best GPS system in the world, you can't become too reliant on it. You still need to retain and exercise your own instincts when it comes to navigation - situational awareness and an innate sense of your location related to your surroundings is critical in any environment.

When traveling, I usually run a GPS app in the background even if I know where I'm going just to see traffic, speed limits etc. Many times, too often actually, I find that the app (pick one, they're all comparable now) is directing me in a non-efficient or unconventional direction. I just ignore it and eventually the routes line back up.

Even with the best GPS system in the world, you can't become too reliant on it. You still need to retain and exercise your own instincts when it comes to navigation - situational awareness and an innate sense of your location related to your surroundings is critical in any environment.

If only people would follow this simple idea... :(

Am I the only one that still memorizes the first segment of the route on a paper map before setting out, then stops roughly every hour to stretch, grab (and CONSUME) refreshments, and to memorize the next segment of the route? People have become way too hands (and minds) off about travel.

I only use the GPS when I'm searching for a ruin or road I saw on Google Earth that's so obscure/overgrown I need the moving dot to find the spot. :rolleyes:

maybe that is why Sally & I use map quest. I'm the driver she navigates. I got tired of the Garmin telling me to turn right when I didn't have to or their aint NO exit...then hearing recalculating, recalculating.

Speaking of GPS, who makes a good handheld unit so we can enter disperse camping area coordinates?

Am I the only one that still memorizes the first segment of the route on a paper map before setting out, then stops roughly every hour to stretch, grab (and CONSUME) refreshments, and to memorize the next segment of the route? People have become way too hands (and minds) off about travel.

I only use the GPS when I'm searching for a ruin or road I saw on Google Earth that's so obscure/overgrown I need the moving dot to find the spot. :rolleyes:

I use paper maps, also.

But, when I am forced to navigate around a city, I tend to rely on the GPS. I know - of all places to not know where you are, the city is top of the list...

Nope. Currently reviewing an upcoming route. Will have a GPS too if I need help finding where I am, but paper will be my guide.

image.jpg

I was in the urban jungle of Los Angeles a few months back looking for a car dealership (Audi Downtown) It was in the evening so traffic was at a standstill. I made the transition from the 10 to the 110 per my GPS. My GPS was “routing” me in the most expedient route (Haha). I had a general idea of where the business was according to the address, but my GPS was telling me to travel to an exit several miles to the south and had a 45 min eta due to traffic. I became frustrated and said screw it and exited the congested roadway and made a left at the overpass in the general direction of the dealership. I went two blocks and made a right and finally the GPS said “rerouting” and wouldn’t you know it. The dealership was two blocks away on my right. Took me 3 minutes after exiting the 110. Dumb GPS.

Back
Top Bottom