TEXAS

Lake Tyler state park in Texas

Between Dallas and Shreveport on I-20. Not far from I-20 (10 minutes) with a Pilot truck stop at the interchange. Super convenient if you’re passing through East or West. Hot showers here for the road warriors.

Easy reservations online, I recommend this loop. Red Oak.

View attachment 57392
Thanks for the tip.

There are actually two Big Bend parks--the National one and the State one. Most people visit the National Park but the state park is less crowded and arguably better for 4WD trails.

How is it for dispersed camping?

I don't believe there is any dispersed camping in the state or national parks. The state park advertises over 70 miles of 4WD trails and there are lots of primitive campsites but they must be reserved. More info: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch

Yeah, that’s a bummer. The upside is the online reservation processes have improved IMO, and my recent stay at Tyler SP was easy. I’m sure that depends on season though.

I recently finished this video. This is a comprehensive introduction to Big Bend Ranch State Park, for campers and overlanders. It aims to answer nearly every question a new visitor will have about the park. What to see, what to do, where to go. If I didn't answer a question, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom