Tesla Cyber Truck

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
The mechanical specs that have been revealed are nice. And, um, the mechanical specs are nice.

Straight panels. I get it. Easy to repair. I'm not against ugly cars. My first car was a 1st gen Toyota MR2 and Motor Trend described it's look as "origami gone wrong". But, man, it was a fun car to drive. It comes down to that. If the specs make up for it's looks then I'd consider it.

What was presented.

* The exterior is made from cold-rolled stainless steel. The glass is suppose to a polymer layer similar to bulletproof glass but the portion of the show displaying how tough the glass was went along the lines of Bill Gates displaying Windows for the first time (Windows crashed with the blue screen of death).
* The suspension can be raised or lowered 4" and is self leveling.
* There looks to be a built in ramp in the tailgate with the suspension being able to tilt the vehicle for loading an off-loading.
* 2WD base model with AWD for higher grades
* Up to 3500 lbs payload and 14,000 lbs towing capacity.
* 500+ mile range.

The last two are w/o a doubt the $70k version of the truck. What isn't known is how it performs fully loaded. What happens to the range?
04_Desktop.jpg
08_Desktop.jpg
06_Desktop.jpg
09_Desktop.jpg
10_Desktop.jpg

From the Tesla press release.

Dimensions & Weight
  • Range: 500+ miles
  • 0-60 mph acceleration: <2.9 seconds
  • Towing capacity: More than 14,000 lbs
  • Payload: Up to 3,500 lbs
  • Vault length: 6.5 feet
  • Storage capacity: 100 cubic feet of exterior, lockable storage including the vault, frunk, and sail pillars.
  • Suspension: 4” in either direction
  • Touchscreen size: 17”
  • Body: Ultra-Hard 30X Cold-Rolled stainless steel. If there was something better, we’d use it.
  • Seating capacity: Up to six adults
  • Charging: Can be charged at home, at Destination Charging locations, and with our network of more than 14,000 Superchargers, including on our newest V3 technology, which is helpful for long hauls and towing.

Specs look good, just dont actually look at the stupid thing.

The specs do look good...the design...I'm torn. It's far enough away from anything else to be intriguing, but I don't think I could drive that everyday. Also, this can't be what a production model will look like, where are the side view mirrors...isn't a drivers side mirror still a federal requirement?

I've seen a lot of questions floating around the internet about what happens to it's range when towing it's full capacity. I think, at least for the high end model, that it doesn't matter. No one can reasonably expect to hook a 5th wheel to this thing and drive across the country. A contractor that needs to pull a Bobcat from a storage yard or rental center to a job site 40 miles away will probably be able to do so with no problem even if the range is cut in 1/2 or more.

As for me, I'll keep on burning dead dinosaurs.

The specs do look good...the design...I'm torn. It's far enough away from anything else to be intriguing, but I don't think I could drive that everyday. Also, this can't be what a production model will look like, where are the side view mirrors...isn't a drivers side mirror still a federal requirement?

I've seen a lot of questions floating around the internet about what happens to it's range when towing it's full capacity. I think, at least for the high end model, that it doesn't matter. No one can reasonably expect to hook a 5th wheel to this thing and drive across the country. A contractor that needs to pull a Bobcat from a storage yard or rental center to a job site 40 miles away will probably be able to do so with no problem even if the range is cut in 1/2 or more.

As for me, I'll keep on burning dead dinosaurs.

Definitely, I will be interested to see the production model, but I will venture a guess its not the truck for me. I love the Bollinger trucks, but my wife thinks they are ugly.... Oh well.

The TFL trucks guys towed with a model X, IIRC not too heavy, and it cut the range down to 1/3

In my not so humble opinion... Being an industrial designer, someone's ass and their entire team would've already been fired for putting out something like this. But then again, all trucks are starting to look exactly the same. It doesn't help that the same designers all float around between the different design houses.

Specs or no specs, its butt ass fugly. It belongs back in the 70s and 80s in some sci-fi flick.

In my not so humble opinion... Being an industrial designer, someone's ass and their entire team would've already been fired for putting out something like this. But then again, all trucks are starting to look exactly the same. It doesn't help that the same designers all float around between the different design houses.

Specs or no specs, its butt ass fugly. It belongs back in the 70s and 80s in some sci-fi flick.
Gotta allow for the possibility that it wasn't the designers but Elon Musk.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

call me old or mulish, IMO this isn't a truck. When I think of a truck it's meant to be worked & can do it all & keep going as long as you keep gas in it. The 4x4, offroad, trucks I grew up on the farm & drove were old school straight axle's manual shift w\granny, locking hubs & they rode like an ol' coal wagon on pavement or dirt. For me I'm a creature of habit & change is hard for me whether it's for the better or not. I'm a type of guy that likes less is best in a truck. Took me along time "for me" to buy a 4x4 truck w\"push button on the fly 4x4" that everything was electric, which is my current 2000 GMC z71 & outdated in todays times. My son's truck is confusing as hell to me, 2018 Dodge Ram 4x4 Laramie, leather & all the gagget it has. I'm not tech savvy, plus I like to hear actual exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom