TENNESSEE

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Crowd Sourced! Share information and ask specific questions about this state here.

This section is focused on documenting the following:
  • Adventure Opportunities & Destinations
  • Trails
  • Campsites
  • Watercraft Put-Ins/Take-Outs
  • Local Info, Highlights & Lore
  • Local Regulations & Local Insight

IMG_0240.JPG

Here in Memphis (Shelby County)Tn, there is Shelby Forest lots of good hiking trails, great fishing, if you want to ride off road there is a spot by John's Boat Dock north east of Shelby Forest.
Then there is The Bottoms right off of I240 and Covington Pike but it's all about the ride out there, just watch out for the jackholes that are there just to "mudding" and leave trash all over.

I really like Nathan Bedford State park $11-22 a night. My boys love it out there, lots of white tail deer and beautiful sights. Bring kayak or you can't rent a paddle boat. The Rangers are cool very helpful, the on sight museum is pretty good.

Natchez Trace State park is also great lots of trails and sights.I do a lot of solo camping out there. On site museum is ok, rangers are helpful. But my spot is off exit 137 Cuba Landing to painted rock, just to sit out there in awe of mother nature.

But my favorite is The Great Smokey Mountains, around Gatlinburg buy stay out of the tourism traps. I went there for my honeymoon 14 years ago and go back at least once a year.
I would post pictures and what not,but as I don't have a computer I do everything on my phone. I don't have everything stored on here, I might need to rethink getting a computer for this type of thing.

Last edited:
There is a great Forest Service Road (which is much rougher than the regular FS roads, which leads to a wonderful overlook 4600ft overlook of Hot Springs NC. The trail is approx 5 miles in, 5 miles out. It's called Horse Creek. Trail head is found at: 36.103439,-82.653344 ... You'll need a high clearance 4wheel drive vehicle, and a few beers reserved once you get to the top.

Going to Tellico Plains March 15 to 18 with my family. Taking my low clearance 4wd Explorer. Any suggestions for family drives? Planning on Cherohala Skyway at a minimum. No Dragon. No Hellbender. Been there. Done them. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom