SomedayAdventure's Military Trailer Build

When I first read this reply I thought I saw t"his post is worthless" and my heart sank.

This is a repeat picture but let me explain what's happening. This is my father, who is super super super old, at 50 years. Just to be clear, he hasn't worked out since 1995.

The trailer was angled off to the left and as a joke I told my dad we should just pick it up and move it cuz it would be easier than moving the truck. So he did that. I asked him to do it again so I could take the picture. Both wheels were up off the ground, it's just happen to be the least goofy looking
IMG_20150620_064108.jpg

Also as a side note, while at the DMV (I think I wrote about this....not sure) trying to get a new plate for the A1, one of the DMV guys at the bad DMV in Oceanside ask me how much the trailer weighed. Assuming it was a trick question and he was trying to trap me and some heavier weight category or something, I told him it was "like four or five hundred pounds" walked over and pick one of the tires up off the ground. That seems to satisfy him. You know what I do in my "real life" and I know nothing about trailers and registration stuff...not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
:thumbsup

Well there you have it folks. A picture truly is worth a thousand words. No way that looks like a 1,350 lb trailer.

I had my M101A3 weighed before I started modifying. It was every bit of 1350 lbs.

I'm still using the pintle hitch, surge brakes, stock axle, and 37 run flats, but hoping to go to max coupler / lock n roll, e brakes, 35s, and either a 3500 lb or 5000 lb axle this winter.

I just drove up and down a few mountains in central PA dragging it with a JKU with no problem. Since I bought it, I've added a steel RTT rack and a 200 lb RTT. The M101A3 actually has the same width as my Jeep.

... and 50 is NOT "really, really old" as evidenced by your stud of a Dad slapping that trailer around... we may be slower, we may be older, but mission accomplishment is the key and clearly... he has it :) job done

coming from a fellow "old" man..

... and 50 is NOT "really, really old" as evidenced by your stud of a Dad slapping that trailer around... we may be slower, we may be older, but mission accomplishment is the key and clearly... he has it :) job done

coming from a fellow "old" man..

Yeah, I'm thinking that young man needs to learn a hard lesson about, "age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill." Gratefully for 'somedayilllearn' he has come to the right place where he will get that opportunity. :tango

So I just wanted to share a quick overview with you guys of what we do as far as our camping stuff. I left much better, well prettier, that means so she does showing.

We have a lot more we're going to improve on an upgrade as time goes on and we learn new things.

Let us know what you think

DSC_1089.jpg

A small view of our recent trip to the Sierras this weekend.
DSC_1089.jpg

Dirt roads on the way out of course
DSC_1106.jpg

We found our overland staple waiting to great us...the cow
DSC_1114.jpg

The CVT 55" rear awning's maiden voyage...an excellent addition when using the back of the trailer regularly.
DSC_1178.jpg

The spare diesel Rotopax mounted on the side actually became usefull as my fuel indicator came on miles from a gas station (my truck dont joke about fuel level i learned the hard way once....not so fun fact: did you know, despite my father and I both being huge guys, pushing a 7500lb truck gets exhausting after a while).
DSC_1200.jpg

Plus, since I already have them, why the heck not?
DSC_1159 small.jpg

DSC_1171 small.jpg

Everyone had fun at the hot spring...on to camp
DSC_1269.jpg

This is the most I've deployed the trailers "options" in the outdoors so far. This is about an 85% set up
DSC_1547.jpg

She's a mean package...growing and stretching all the time. More to come.

Feel free to ask questions and comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you installed the Timbren Axle less suspension yet? I'm really interested in seeing how you mapped it out if so. I picked up a 101A3 and am debating Axle-less or just getting a new 3500# axle, although I can't seem to find the timbren's with 6x5.5 hubs.

Have you installed the Timbren Axle less suspension yet? I'm really interested in seeing how you mapped it out if so. I picked up a 101A3 and am debating Axle-less or just getting a new 3500# axle, although I can't seem to find the timbren's with 6x5.5 hubs.

An A3 shouldn't have a solid axel...

I guess...mine didn't come with a straight axle.

Correct, the 101A3 comes with a drop axle that has a high point in the center and lower points near the hubs.

The cost of a replacement drop axle is more than the cost of a replacement straight axle, and as in most cases the diff on the vehicle hangs down lower than axle on the trailer, most people that swap axles use a straight axle. Advantages are access to electronic brakes and weight reduction.

Really like that build. It fits your truck well.

I'm curious if you ever ended up using the Timbrens on either the 101's you're working on.

Back
Top Bottom