SomedayAdventure's Military Trailer Build

How do you like the stabilization jacks? Are they solid or do they wobble at all? Do you wish you out-boarded them more toward the corners, or are you happy withe their present location?

I have a M101A3 with similar placement on my stabilizer jacks. I chose that location as it allows you to install the jacks horizontally for travel.

I have used them in some extremely unlevel sites and with 3 of them in place, and the RTT deployed, there is very little movement.

I have a M101A3 with similar placement on my stabilizer jacks. I chose that location as it allows you to install the jacks horizontally for travel.

I have used them in some extremely unlevel sites and with 3 of them in place, and the RTT deployed, there is very little movement.

G2K.

How do you like the stabilization jacks? Are they solid or do they wobble at all? Do you wish you out-boarded them more toward the corners, or are you happy withe their present location?

They're solid when I have them jacked up.

They're placed there for two reasons.
1-I can turn them horizontal and drive off with them.
2-the trailer box's sTeel supports are there.

They're solid when I have them jacked up.

They're placed there for two reasons.
1-I can turn them horizontal and drive off with them.
2-the trailer box's sTeel supports are there.

Thanks. Hoping to pick up my M101 this month. Already has an axle swap and trailer brakes. Tongue has already been "fixed". Just needs lights really. So my first upgrade will be stabilization jacks.

Thanks. Hoping to pick up my M101 this month. Already has an axle swap and trailer brakes. Tongue has already been "fixed". Just needs lights really. So my first upgrade will be stabilization jacks.

I sourced mine from eTrailer.com, search for Weld-On Jack Pipe Mount, a male and female for each Jack and a couple of pins and you are in business. I bought jacks that could take the full weight of the trailer because I'm somewhere between an idiot and a genius.

Thinking of buying a few more male mounts and installing them on the top of the fenders. Right now the jack handles stick out ~4-6" on each side. I haven't snagged them on anything yet.

Nice wheel and tire upgrade! I would have to make mine match as well I think.

Great build, time to paint the trailer to match the truck!

Yeah, I first saw the matching wheels on Defconbrix's page (instagram). Loved the uniformity so I had to do it.

As far as paint. There's no way to get the trailer to match my truck without some serious $$$$$. Buuuut, I have thought about going with a snow camo to swap out the jungle look (i.e. white/gray/black/light gray etc).

Finally, here are some photos I took today of all three (or 6) wheels in line just like I wanted them. I love the BF Goodrich KO2s look. The MB352s are perfect also.

Same wheels for video.jpg

Wheels in line small.jpg

side shot small.jpg

I have a video going up on how I changed the wheels. Most of it is just the trailer's super glazed over history. The video should be up in a few minutes (its been loading for like 3 hours and it's only ten minutes long).

Here's the link to the video

Nate, really great picture's and video! I have to smile to myself every time I see a guy with a drone w/camera taking amazing shot's that only could be taken a couple years ago with a helicopter. What a game changer those things are! Keep them coming.

Note: Although I seldom do it, the tire shops tell me it's a good idea to recheck the torque on the alloy wheels after a few miles.

How heavy is the trailer empty?

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to guess. When we got it (unmodified) I think around 1000lbs. I only base this on the fact that I could probably flip it over by hand if I got mad enough (I used to squat 650). Now, we easily added another 400lbs.

Thanks I have thought about buying on of these to tow behind my Tacoma. 1000# is pretty heavy though.

Not to worry. Look for an m101A2. That's the one my dad is picking up in the photo. 500 ish lbs. Great cheep trailers. If you have an instagram you can see mine on @somedayadventure or @somedayilllearn or under the #militarytrailer hashtag (I pretty much filled that one lol). The m416 is pretty much gone on the market. That's the Jeep sized one.

Thanks Nate. Now I've fallen down the rabbit hole of military trailers.... :lol

I am looking at M101A3's (wider between the fender wells, ditching the 37 inch tires most likely for 35's) as a future "toy hauler/utility trailer". I may go to a full size truck in the future with a FWC (Shhhhh! :spy ) and a small trailer that could haul bikes/kayaks etc and serve double duty to haul things would be sweet. Add a RTT for my daughter and her friends and it's a perfect addition to my gameplan

Not to worry. Look for an m101A2. That's the one my dad is picking up in the photo. 500 ish lbs.

A quick Google session returned dry weight at around 1,350 lbs for an A2 - I see about the same numbers for dry weight on an A3... :questions

M101A2
Dry Weight: 1,340 LBS
Width: 73.5 inches
Length: 147 inches long

For comparison purposes, her are the AT Horizon and AT Chaser:

AT Horizon:
Dry Weight: 1000 LBS, (Completely outfitted: 1,600 lbs)
Width: 68 inches
Length: 124 inches

AT Chaser: (Comparable to the CND M101 or the M416)
Dry weight: 700 LBS (Completely outfitted: 2,000 LBS)
Width: 66 Inches
Length: 141 inches

A quick Google session returned dry weight at around 1,350 lbs for an A2 - I see about the same numbers for dry weight on an A3... :questions

M101A2
Dry Weight: 1,340 LBS
Width: 73.5 inches
Length: 147 inches long

Not to say your Google search is inaccurate at all...I'm sure at some point in the life of one of the trailers it's spot on however...

The a3 we have IS heavy. Might be the right numbers for it. The wheels I took off were heavy as hell by themselves.

The A2 however, my father and I both picked up and moved for fun (we'really like rock trolls. Pick up and move/throw stuff for fun). His largest squat back in '85ish at SDSU was like 500 something lbs. Mine was 650 at UCLA. His bench was 650 and mine was only 520 or something....so 1300 lbs seems a bit high for the fact that we carry it around...not angry. Angry the thing could weigh a ton and we'd still move it.

Back
Top Bottom