Snowbike Project – Part 2

Chad

Adventurist
Editor
THE SOBERING REMINDER
The winter of 2017-2018 has been a rough one.  Snowfall has been well below average in the Southwest, and that’s made for scary conditions both in terms of snowpack stability (lots of avalanches) and hazard coverage (stumps and rocks).  The sad truth is that since the New Year, two individuals I’ve known personally who were both experienced winter backcountry travelers have died while backcountry skiing and snowboarding.  I’m not sharing this with you to try and scare you away, but to point out the fact that winter backcountry recreation can be very dangerous.  Yet the backcountry is also one of the most enjoyable places on earth, which explains why folks seek out the peace of the wilderness in every season.  If you want to snowbike in the backcountry and make it home at the end of your ride, then you need to have the gear, knowledge, and training to safely ride in backcountry avalanche terrain.
DSC8612.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like soooo much fun! I've been an avid desert rider all my life but this is so foreign and interesting to me. I'd love to try this someday, but sadly I don't get nearly enough snow to warrant purchasing a kit. Are you aware of anywhere you can rent a timber sled? I know the kits are too specific to rent just the by themselves, but I'd totally be willing to rent the whole package for a day.

Back
Top Bottom