Show Us Where You've Been..

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Show us where you've been...

...and a little more about yourself by sharing your journeys through the scenery and secluded byways of your particular neck of the woods! From Maine to Cali, Florida to Washington and all parts in between in these here United States there are splendid places to explore, camp and tramp around. Hell there’s some damn fine places outside these borders that I yet to see and would like to learn about also. I’m sure most of you have a tale to tell so let’s hear it

This is American Adventurist after all and here we expect a little more of our members than just opining. Share a romp down a rock strewn road, a float down cascading waters, a hike in shadowed woods, a hunting trip with the boy, casting in deep waters in search of some fish or even putzing around some historic site. They don’t have to be epic expeditions but just fun adventures even if there just for a day. It’s all good here. Share your tales with us if for no other reason than to entertain your fellow members on a slow day. New tales or old, we’re interested in it all.

We have over a hundred members here now but the trip report section is looking a little sparse. So here’s a challenge to all the AAV members…post up a trip from the past and make plans for a new adventure in the next two weeks. With the membership numbers we have now I expect to see trip reports in number at least 1/3 of the membership within the next couple of weeks.

This challenge is especially important as it applies to the administrators and mods here as setting the tone for the direction of the site is our responsibility. We lead by example here on AAV. American Adventurist implies Adventure...let’s get some!

Leaving for 4 days in Death Valley Thursday morning, bound to have some fodder for you when we get back! This trip will be more about the camping/relaxing so there should be plenty of time for pictures!

Show us where you've been... post up a trip from the past...

Sounds good. Here are some past trips of mine.

Carrizo Badlands Run, Anza Borrego - March 2008

Well it was a beautiful, fun filled day in the desert of Anza Borrego. A little windy and dusty at times, but great day to be out wheelin'. We arrived at the trailhead of Oriflamme Canyon in Banner a little before 9AM. After airing down and making sure everything was good to go, we were off! Coming down the rocky switchbacks towards the desert valley below we spotted 1Leg, 1 Leg Lance, Gear, and R2FJ break camp and head out. Wait for us guys! They soon raised me on the CB and in a moment we were all gathered and ready to travel down Hwy S2 towards the Carrizo Badlands.

She might have been a little nervous coming down the Oriflamme Canyon switchbacks.
CarizzoBadlands001.jpg

Be prepared to get muddy and wet in Carrizo Creek.
CarizzoBadlands007.jpg

CarizzoBadlands002.jpg

CarizzoBadlands006.jpg

CarizzoBadlands030.jpg

CarizzoBadlands024.jpg

An isolated frontier outpost:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/22491...d_archaeological_investigations_june_2007.pdf

CarizzoBadlands011.jpg

Lunch near the old Stage Station site.
CarizzoBadlands009.jpg

You'll come out of here with lost of new pin-stripping.
CarizzoBadlands026.jpg

Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Canyon
CarizzoBadlands041.jpg

From Arroyo Seco Del Diablo you take Diablo Dropoff down to Fish Creek.
CarizzoBadlands059.jpg

CarizzoBadlands073.jpg

CarizzoBadlands064.jpg

CarizzoBadlands069.jpg

CarizzoBadlands050.jpg

CarizzoBadlands085.jpg

CarizzoBadlands075.jpg

CarizzoBadlands020.jpg

CarizzoBadlands068.jpg

Finishing up in Fish Creek/Split Mountain.
CarizzoBadlands084.jpg

Correl Canyon OHV Area - March 2008

Well I was hoping to get out to ABDSP this weekend but had to keep any trips somewhat close to home. Eric had suggested a run out to Corral Canyon OHV Area and that sounded pretty good. It was a beautiful day and we had a great time. Bobcat Meadows campground was nearby and would make a good place to stay for the weekend and explore the entire area. We ran Sidewinder first, then make our way to the top of Bronco Peak. After coming down the same way we called it a day.

The Corral Canyon OHV Area is located near the town of Pine Valley. Within this area, the Corral Canyon and Bobcat Meadows campgrounds jointly give OHV enthusiasts access to over 51 miles of system OHV trails. These trails which run across the Cleveland National Forest Lands, offer you a heady mix of scenic beauty and test of skills.

CorralCanyon3-22-08002.jpg

Oh, and within the first 30 seconds of starting the trail we both got stuck. That's gotta be a new record!
CorralCanyon3-22-08006.jpg

CorralCanyon3-22-08008.jpg

CorralCanyon3-22-08035.jpg

CorralCanyon3-22-08043.jpg

CorralCanyon3-22-08030.jpg

Corralcanyon.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

Lake Morena in the background as we make our way up Bronco Peak.
CorralCanyon3-22-08049.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

CorralCanyon3-22-08051.jpg

We spotted this guy on our way out.
DSC_0122.jpg

That explains the wired sounds we heard earlier.
DSC_0124.jpg

Colorado River & Glamis Dunes Getaway - March 2008

Well, we decided to get out and do some camping and fishing this past weekend at Lake Ferguson on the lower Colorado River, just south of the Picacho State Recreation Area. We also spent some time on the sand dunes of Glamis, meeting up with some family who were camped out there over the weekend.

Our cabin/fishing club.
IMG_2950.jpg

Boat docks and launch ramp.
IMG_2964.jpg

Lots of fish have been caught here over the years.
IMG_2953.jpg

Testing the waters...
IMG_2977.jpg

On the side of the road that's not Designated Wilderness, there's a number of sandy washes and canyons to explore.
IMG_2981.jpg

One of many points along the lake shore that makes for good primitive camping.
IMG_2978.jpg

Enjoying the fireplace.
IMG_2989.jpg

Marsh mellows on the stove...
IMG_2992.jpg

The bass were biting!
River-Glamis017.jpg

River-Glamis021.jpg

River-Glamis019.jpg

Swim away to fight another day.
River-Glamis022.jpg

Hiking with the girls.
River-Glamis030.jpg

River-Glamis014.jpg

River-Glamis003.jpg

River-Glamis007.jpg

River-Glamis028.jpg

On the way home we stopped by Glamis to visit family and play around for a bit.
River-Glamis051.jpg

Weeee!
River-Glamis054.jpg

Dunejump.jpg

In the Fall of 2011, I was able to meet up with some friends from Panamint Valley.com. I initially met up with an online 4x4 friend with a fun old Willys! We went in a day early and camped west of Lone Pine in the Alabama Hills. My fun Willy's friend who had a massive amount of knowledge on this entire area, bought me dinner that night for meeting up with him! We chatted about old west area history as we watched the sun go down over Mt. Whitney! How Fun! It was an epic night! The next morning we headed for our group trip up to the Salt Tram and Cerro Gordo. We met at the actual location of the former home of a fine man named Mike Patterson, who was the caretaker of Cerro Gordo for years. I took pics of his home.

http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/cerro_main.html

I later explored Hunter Mountain and it's cabin. And other areas around Panamint Valley. Later on the way home I went for another night in the Alabama Hills for more good scenic views and pics. Then I took the short cut to the Kern River, over the mountain. Gathered some wood for a fire along the river. Then took the shortcut home, south over the mountain above Lake Isabella. What an epic fun trip!

Here is a link to the pics. Click slideshow......then Full Screen for best viewing.

http://scenicwonderrunner.shutterfly.com/5043

.....carry on!

DSCF0137-1_zps2ec06b15.jpg

DSCF0430.jpg

Last edited:
Death Valley Trip 2013

A few pics from our recent trip.

Top of Mengel Pass
IMG_0968.jpg

Near Barker Ranch
IMG_0974.jpg

Goler Wash
IMG_0984-1.jpg

Ballarat
IMG_0993-1.jpg

Bat Rock Road
IMG_1226.jpg

Saline Valley Hot Springs
IMG_1242.jpg

Lippincott road
IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

I'm so glad you posted this, Dave...

To others: Look! I've been there, as seen in Dave's pictures!

That's a bit of history there, that's the trip where we spoke of this site in hushed tones around a campfire. I came home after that trip and bought this domain name and the rest is history ;)

Let's keep this thread going with past trip reports!

San Diego River/Cedar Creek Falls - February 2008

My wife and I were able to get out and explore some areas much closer to home over the weekend. It had been a while since I had been to cedar creek falls and I've been wanting to show her the area. Its a 2 hour hike or so for most folks, however I knew of an old jeep trail in the area that could take us right to it. You can only access this trail when accompanied by a tribal member since its part of the Barona Indian Reservation.

View of the route just southeast of Ramona, and north of El Capitan Reservoir.
SanDiegoRivertoCedarCreek.jpg

Overlook of the route ahead and San Diego River drainage into El Capitan.
CederCreekFalls072.jpg

View of Mildred Falls in the distance. This can be seen closer at the Eagle Peak Road trail head.
CederCreekFalls002.jpg

One of several crossings of the San Diego river.
CederCreekFalls004.jpg

An old dam just upstream.
CederCreekFalls049.jpg

CederCreekFalls070.jpg

CederCreekFalls041.jpg

CederCreekFalls044.jpg

CederCreekFalls048.jpg

Cedar Creek Falls.
CederCreekFalls065.jpg

CederCreekFalls021.jpg

CederCreekFalls027.jpg

Crossing back over the San Diego River.
CederCreekFalls010.jpg

CederCreekFalls012.jpg

CederCreekFalls014.jpg

Anza-Borrego Rainy Day Run (Black Canyon & Lower Coyote Canyon) - January 2008

Well, we got up around 11AM after getting home from LA a little after 4AM the night before and decided it would make for a fun adventure to head out into the desert in the rain. I called my sister to let her know where'd we be if anything happened since they have a 4X4 Chevy Silverado. They were up for joining us. On the way out just passed Ramona, we turned up Magnolia Ave and up Black Mountain Road, along Santa Ysabel Creek.

Looking across from Black Mountain Road to Santa Ysabel Truck Trail.
CoyoteCanyon008.jpg

In Black Canyon, water amply illustrates its mindless yet artistic ability to sculpt stone. Every once in a great while, a gush of sediment-laden storm runoff tears through the canyon bottom, carving and polishing the bedrock slabs, drilling potholes ever deeper, toppling trees, and pushing rounded boulders downstream.
IMG_6058.jpg

Near the junction of Black Canyon Road and Santa Ysabel Truck Trail is an old campground that closed over 30 years ago. I remember seeing an old overgrown road heading out somewhere in this area. One of these days I'll have to check it out.
IMG_6063.jpg

In a normal spring season the stream of water in Black Canyon is often fairly placid: it happily splashes over small waterfalls, pauses in pools, slides along inclined slabs, and finds hidden passages beneath immense boulders.
IMG_6069.jpg

Black Mountain Road.
BlackCanyonRoad.jpg

Not finding any snow towards the top, we headed on down to Anza Borrego. Coming down the grade I noticed another jeep in front of me that was swerving a bit and moving just a little too fast. Next thing I see, it crashes into a sign, nearly plummets down the cliff side, spins out across the road and smashes into the hillside!
IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6082.jpg

CoyoteCanyon004-1.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

It didn't seem like the gal was even wearing her seatbelt. If she had gone off the edge, that would've been it. The two dogs inside were ok but she was bloodied up a bit. Some other folks drove up in a car who turned out to be her neighbors. They called the tow truck and helped the girl and her dogs. We continued down to Coyote Canyon.
IMG_6083.jpg

Its a rare sight to see so much water flowing through Coyote Canyon Creek.
IMG_6138.jpg

CoyoteCanyon007.jpg

CoyoteCanyon002.jpg

Yes, I know I had a headlight out...
IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6130.jpg

We ended up turning around just before the third water crossing. With all the rain I didn't want to risk getting their truck stuck. On the way home we stopped in Julian for dinner. It was a great day spent with family out in the back country.

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park Mud & Wind Caves - January 2008

I recently took some friends on out to Anza Borrego who have never been there before to explore the mud and wind caves. The Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves are one of the most fascinating points of interest in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Arroyo Tapiado, translated from Spanish, means “walled wash.” The Mud Caves are found along the walls of this wash canyon. One of the most extensive mud cave systems in the world, they contain approximately 22 known caves and 9 slot canyons.

mud-map.jpg

From Canyon Sin Nombre and Vallecito Wash Trail we make our way to Arroyo Tapiado Canyon.
IMG_2377.jpg

Now where are those caves again?
IMG_2357.jpg

The caves are not always obvious. You may need to do a little searching and exploring to find hidden entrances and caves that are off the beaten track. Entrance into the dark underworld...
IMG_2358.jpg

The Mud Caves are formed by fluvial erosion caused during periods of heavy rainfall. When this infrequent rainfall occurs, it cuts channels into the mud hills that are commonly found in the Pseudokarst topography of this arid region. The channels cause erosion and form canyons with unstable and undercut walls. As the channels deepen, the walls cave in. Because of the cohesive consistency of the mud in this particular area and its ability to swell to several times its original dry volume, it adheres to itself and to the canyon walls, creating natural bridges and, sometimes caves, as it dries.
IMG_2369.jpg

Safety Tips:
Always use caution when exploring caves. You will need to carry several light sources, and water, and it is recommended that you wear a hardhat or helmet. Never enter the caves if it is raining, has rained recently or if rain is expected. Take a caving partner with you when you explore the caves or let someone know exactly where you are going to be and when you will return. Use the buddy system! Do not walk on top of the caves, along the ridges or in areas where the ground may cave in. These hills are made of mud and can be very unstable.
IMG_2362.jpg

After exploring a few caves we descended Diablo Dropoff to Fish Creek.
IMG_2385.jpg

This was a 2WD truck...
IMG_2406.jpg

...that needed a tug to get through these rocks.
IMG_2407.jpg

Lunch in Fish Creek, then a hike up to the wind caves.
IMG_2415.jpg

The sandstone wind caves and arches are created from erosion caused by wind. You can explore the caves by hiking approximately 1 mile from the Wind Cave Trailhead (2 miles round trip). Trail head is located in Fish Creek Wash just past Split Mountain.
IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

All to soon the day came to a close and we eventually made our way home. Another good day spend in the back country.
IMG_2437.jpg

Jacumba/In-Ko-Pah Mountains - December 2007

Well, I cruised on out to Jacumba today with a group to run several trails in the area but only ended up finishing one since trail repairs took up so much time. All the rigs had issues on this one:

Wrangler: cracked windshield
Liberty: snapped a-arm
Land Cruiser: crunched exhaust
4Runner: flat tire

North of Interstate 8, Table Mountain offers views of the In-Ko-Pah Mountains and Jacumba Mountain. Table Mountain provides numerous opportunities for recreation. The Table Mountain area has been designated an Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC). Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and private lands border public lands on Table Mountain, please respect all posted signs.

I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking...

JacumbaMountains.jpg

desert01.jpg

train00.jpg

plant00.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

manroute.jpg

maanoute05.jpg

manroute06.jpg

manroute08.jpg

liberty00.jpg

manroute02.jpg

wheel00.jpg

steve00.jpg

carnage02.jpg

carnage04.jpg

carnage05.jpg

turn01.jpg

BorregoFest Event - October 2007

http://www.oausa.net/

We spent the weekend in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park at Palm Canyon campground and explored various trails in the area, including Coyote Canyon, the Borrego Bandlands, historic Truckhaven Trail, Calicite Mine, Fish Creek/Split Mountain, Sandstone Canyon, and Canyon Sin Nombre. Can't wait to head beak!

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

Fonts Point Overlook
IMG_3726.jpg

Coyote Canyon Trail
IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

Third Crossing - Coyote Canyon Trail
IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

Fish Creek/Split Mountain
IMG_2115.jpg

Sandstone Canyon
IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

Sidewinder & Bronco Peak Trails @ Corral Canyon OHV Area, Cleveland National Forest - September 2007

I suddenly awoke up to my ringing phone at 6AM this morning. Some of my friends were heading out early to ride around the Corral Canyon OHV Area and hopefully beat the heat. Got up there around 7AM and found the weather much cooler. It did start heating up around 11AM, though. Along with my Jeep, there was a Datsun pickup, a Dodge pickup, a few bikes, and a... baja bug? Since it had recently rained out there, dust was kept to a minimum. Yet another fun day spent in the back country!

Sidewinder0011.jpg

Sidewinder0013.jpg

Sidewinder00122.jpg

Sidewinder00133.jpg

Sidewinder0016.jpg

Sidewinder004.jpg

Sidewinder00161.jpg

Sidewinder002.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture042.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Upper Coyote Canyon, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park - May 2007

Coyote Canyon is a wide, deep canyon along the San Jacinto Fault, one the major branches of the San Andreas Fault. It seperates the Santa Rosa Mountains to the north from the San Ysidro Mountains to the south. Juan Bautista de Anza opened up the first European route through this area in 1774. Coyote Canyon trail decends Anza Ridge along a shelf road known as the Turkey Grade, a rough road cut by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933. This used to be the major difficulty encountered along the trail. Towards the bottom, the ruts were large enough to easily leave a Jeep on it's side if care was not taken. Unfortunately the trail has been graded enough to allow passenger cars through. At least the difficulty of Horse Canyon made for some fun rocky terrain.

100_0449.jpg

100_0451.jpg

100_0443.jpg

100_0418.jpg

100_0452.jpg

Lunch in Adler Canyon. Also a good spot to camp.
IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Lined up and ready to take on Horse Canyon!
IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Bailey's Cabin
IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park - March 2007

This one one of my first trips in my 1989 Jeep Wrangler. My brother-in-law and I just decided to get lost in the desert...

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0811-1.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

And now we move forward in time...

Mountain Springs Stagecoach Trail, Anza Borrego - August 2008

Steve and I met up in Santee at 7:30 then headed out on Interstate 8 towards the high desert town of Jacumba. It turned out to be a beautiful day and the weather was cool. After hitting the dirt and turning under the freeway towards Table Mountain, I made a few wrong turns until we figured out were we wanted to go. The trail heading down the grade turned out to be a bit rockier than I hand anticipated but wasn't anything we couldn't handle. After descending the loose, off-camber trail, we found a spring that I'm sure was used as the local watering hole. It was full as crayfish as well! Then just before we began to start up the grade, Steve spotted a large bighorn sheep walking down the trail toward us! Looks like he was heading to the spring. After taking a few pics we were on our way. We also ran into a few Jeeps making their way down. Soon we were back at the trail head and airing up. It was a great way to spend the morning. There are a number of other trails in the area that I'll have to check out.

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg