Alternatively, if your bed is deep enough, you could just cut up several pieces of wood, notch'em, and can be like old school stocks but for your shitpod.

Exactly, I think those dimensions are the box it comes in. Furthermore, if you forgo the floor and use a tarp, or go w/ and go w/ a cabelas ice shelter (like i did), then you you save even more space.

I think my packed dimensions were 5'9" and 7" dia for the cabelas setup.
I saw your posts about the Ice Shelter. I'm in the southeast so being rain proof is high on my list of priorities. Have you found a way to waterproof the Ice Shelter?

OK Dave and Greg, (plus anyone else who has a Shiftpod)

Mine arrived today and I have a few questions. I called CS but I guess they are on holiday hours.
  • First, do you guys leave the floor zipped in when packing up?
  • Next is about the blast-shield or rain fly, do you attach it to the main body in any way or just drape it over and stake it out on its own?
  • Mine came with an extendable pole which appears to be designed to support the center of the tent. Is this for heavy weather or what?
I found a deal on a Yakima Skybox at a REI scratch and dent sale and plan to use it for hauling the Shiftpod plus other light items. That's all assuming I can get it on the roof :).

Yes, leave the floor in.

I’ve never used the blast shield but know @BlkWgn has for rain protection. For that use, think of it more as a series of small awnings over the windows which allow them to be open while it’s raining.

I have a mini with no center pole but have seen @BlkWgn use theirs in heavy winds to help reinforce the structure. When the wind subsided, they took it down. No word if Cris danced around it with ribbons like a maypole though. I do recall some pole dancing being reported, however.

Yes I leave the floor zipped in. Do not machine wash it... power wash it when needed.

The blast shield can just be secured to the tent/stakes itself. To get ventilation you’ll want to guy out the ones over the windows.

The center pole is for use in snow or really crazy weather. Keeps the weight of any snow pack from collapsing it. I’ve never had to use the center pole.

Well that's some good info, mostly.......
I'm not sure the pole dancing is something that can be "un-visualized".
Thanks!

OK Dave and Greg, (plus anyone else who has a Shiftpod)

Mine arrived today and I have a few questions. I called CS but I guess they are on holiday hours.
  • First, do you guys leave the floor zipped in when packing up?
  • Next is about the blast-shield or rain fly, do you attach it to the main body in any way or just drape it over and stake it out on its own?
  • Mine came with an extendable pole which appears to be designed to support the center of the tent. Is this for heavy weather or what?
I found a deal on a Yakima Skybox at a REI scratch and dent sale and plan to use it for hauling the Shiftpod plus other light items. That's all assuming I can get it on the roof :).

I also keep the floor zipped in. If you set your ShiftPod up then on the back of one of the tags near the floor you'll find your serial number. Warranty registration is here.

Center pole is for heavy weather. Especially snow. When putting in the floor there's a small fabric bucket in the floor for the center pole to sit in to keep it in place. If the pole does wear a hole in the floor the bucket wall still keeps the water out.

The blast shield you stake them. For wet weather I used the stakes that hold down the storm flap at the base of the tent. When it's dry I stake them out away from the base to get better airflow.

I also got 2 6' fiberglass poles that also go in the storage bag and a discount/demo rainfly from Hennessy Hammock to shied an entrance from rain.

I also keep the floor zipped in. If you set your ShiftPod up then on the back of one of the tags near the floor you'll find your serial number. Warranty registration is here.

Center pole is for heavy weather. Especially snow. When putting in the floor there's a small fabric bucket in the floor for the center pole to sit in to keep it in place. If the pole does wear a hole in the floor the bucket wall still keeps the water out.

The blast shield you stake them. For wet weather I used the stakes that hold down the storm flap at the base of the tent. When it's dry I stake them out away from the base to get better airflow.

I also got 2 6' fiberglass poles that also go in the storage bag and a discount/demo rainfly from Hennessy Hammock to shied an entrance from rain.
Thank you sir! One more question, I noticed the tarp you purchased for a ground cover was mesh. Why mesh as opposed to something vinyl or waterproof?

Thank you sir! One more question, I noticed the tarp you purchased for a ground cover was mesh. Why mesh as opposed to something vinyl or waterproof?
Thank you!

The floor of the shiftpod is waterproof. The tarp is there to protect the floor from abrasion. It also extends out past the base of the Shiftpod. If it rains then water will pool on top of a waterproof tarp and under the tent. Mesh let's it flow into the ground.

The first time I laid down the mesh tarp I just worked the Shiftpod tent spikes through the mesh. When I got home I found the holes and added grommets.

Thank you!

The floor of the shiftpod is waterproof. The tarp is there to protect the floor from abrasion. It also extends out past the base of the Shiftpod. If it rains then water will pool on top of a waterproof tarp and under the tent. Mesh let's it flow into the ground.

The first time I laid down the mesh tarp I just worked the Shiftpod tent spikes through the mesh. When I got home I found the holes and added grommets.
I figured you had it all thought out, I wasn't smart enough to figure it out on my own.......

I can say that I have used the Shiftpod in some pretty rough weather at high altitude. I have the first gen setup. That being said it has never failed me. I will get some leakage on a downpour at the bottom of the window portals which I can mitigate with some silicone or other treatment if I want to. These tents might be a little on the heavy side but when you are in a no shite have to get a shelter up they really shine. Especially when you are with friends and the weather turns nasty. Would you rather retreat to tour two person shelter or have a space for fold out chairs, heaters and a lot of other In the end you can suffer through a mountaineering shelter that will withstand about anything and still be miserable. Or you can look at a Shiftpod for ease of setup, and live in relative comfort. If I had to survive for a few seasons my choice would be do I want to live in a mountaineering shelter or do I want to live in an environment where people have room for movement and can improve on their shelters. In the end they are not something the backpacking group might be after but those with a large family can go out and withstand in a lot of element in comfort .I'm not normally so sold on any particular product given the variances of what people use them for but I do say this Shiftpod is an amazing piece of equipment for what it's intended for. Even someone who just wants to get their family out there without having to worry about making sure their family is properly taken care of this is something you may want to look at.

Last edited:
Oversized stainless washers https://www.mcmaster.com/90313a333

Protects the ground awning from the tent stake hooks should someone step on them or you get a bit too enthusiastic driving them in.
MVIMG_20190510_180750.jpg

Back
Top Bottom