New guy here. Retired Army and love my Shift pods. I have a Sheterpod (tan/brown version of first-gen) and a regular Mini. It's a house, not a tent. Throw camo netting over the shelter pod for more shade and to conceal anything valuable outside the tent (also has a "don't f with me I'm a crazy-vet vibe" so the netting improves security too. So easy a caveman can do it. I use LPgas in winter and a Zero Breeze 2 for AC in the summer, Dometic fridge, BAJA 700-900 LP inverter/gen, 200 whats solar panels, and 3 Goal zero 500x batteries, all in my 1998 Jeep Cherokee. I want to travel to State/National Parks and set up for a week at a time and explore. The Shiftpod website says folks in disaster zones have been living in pods for 5+ years (Mexico). I want to upgrade the Sheterpod to put a wood stove in. I found a little light titanium one that would be perfect.

That’s awesome! Any photos of your AC setup?

New guy here. Retired Army and love my Shift pods. I have a Sheterpod (tan/brown version of first-gen) and a regular Mini. It's a house, not a tent. Throw camo netting over the shelter pod for more shade and to conceal anything valuable outside the tent (also has a "don't f with me I'm a crazy-vet vibe" so the netting improves security too. So easy a caveman can do it. I use LPgas in winter and a Zero Breeze 2 for AC in the summer, Dometic fridge, BAJA 700-900 LP inverter/gen, 200 whats solar panels, and 3 Goal zero 500x batteries, all in my 1998 Jeep Cherokee. I want to travel to State/National Parks and set up for a week at a time and explore. The Shiftpod website says folks in disaster zones have been living in pods for 5+ years (Mexico). I want to upgrade the Sheterpod to put a wood stove in. I found a little light titanium one that would be perfect.

How would you run the chimney for the wood stove? Cut the mesh out of one of the porthole windows and put in a flashing kit?

I have thought about this many times, and for some reason have a very strong urge to buy a stove, but living in CA it would be pretty rare when I could legally use it.

I'm about to head out with my S2. Didn't use it at all last year for all the obvious reasons. I've used a mesh tarp as a ground cloth and it's worked well. As always, looking for ways to reduce the load and am considering leaving the tarp at home. Anyone feel strongly one way or another about this?

I'm about to head out with my S2. Didn't use it at all last year for all the obvious reasons. I've used a mesh tarp as a ground cloth and it's worked well. As always, looking for ways to reduce the load and am considering leaving the tarp at home. Anyone feel strongly one way or another about this?

If you expect weather, the mesh tarp on the ground is money, especially around the entrance. If it’s a good weather trip I would leave it.

If you expect weather, the mesh tarp on the ground is money, especially around the entrance. If it’s a good weather trip I would leave it.
Excellent points as usual. Headed to Colorado-Utah for much of September so that time frame is traditionally dry.

Back
Top Bottom