Road Rage

Kevin LaCroix

Adventurist
The Colorado State Police have received slightly under 39K road rage calls as of July 1 of this year. I do not know if this is a lot, but really seems like too many.

I see it all the time in Illinois. It's one thing I will not miss when I leave here. Had a guy last night on Highway 41... I'm in the slow lane, he's in the fast lane WAY behind me. I signal and come over into the fast lane to pass a truck. I'm nowhere near him as he's 100 meters behind me still... I see him with his hands in the air losing his mind because I had the audacity to use my turn signal and pass a truck.

I just laugh, and when things like this happen on the road I make sure they see me pointing and laughing at them as I give the hand signal for "you're a nutjob".

:D

I used to be a habitual speeder. I'm talking minimum 5-10 over the speed limit and sometimes as high as 20 over. The perils of a fast car with a supercharger. I had terrible road rage. When I got rid of the car and switched to daily-driving Jeeps it got worse. Now I wasn't able to pass, dodge, and weave as easily as I used to.

When I finally slowed down to a more reasonable (and safer) speed I noticed a lot of my road rage went away. I then shifted my habits to be more defensive and proactive rather than aggressive and reactive. Now my road rage is all but gone. Granted, I still get pissed when people do stupid shit in front of me, but it's fewer and far between compared how it was when I as more aggressive.

This change made me realize that the vast majority of road rage incidents are self-inflicted. People are speeding and getting mad that people in front of them aren't moving over. As if they are somehow more entitled to the road. (Don't get me started on people with mirrored "move over" arrows on their windshields). Doesn't matter what traffic is doing. They are just short-sighted and wanting to go faster than the car in front of them. In contrast I try to be proactive and look a mile or two up the road and adjust my driving style before I encounter traffic.

Anyway, long story short, I came to realize I was the source of my own road rage. I've since changed my habits and now I'm back to enjoying driving. Well, except for all the stupid idiots on the road. :mad:

I used to be a habitual speeder. I'm talking minimum 5-10 over the speed limit and sometimes as high as 20 over. The perils of a fast car with a supercharger. I had terrible road rage. When I got rid of the car and switched to daily-driving Jeeps it got worse. Now I wasn't able to pass, dodge, and weave as easily as I used to.

When I finally slowed down to a more reasonable (and safer) speed I noticed a lot of my road rage went away. I then shifted my habits to be more defensive and proactive rather than aggressive and reactive. Now my road rage is all but gone. Granted, I still get pissed when people do stupid shit in front of me, but it's fewer and far between compared how it was when I as more aggressive.

This change made me realize that the vast majority of road rage incidents are self-inflicted. People are speeding and getting mad that people in front of them aren't moving over. As if they are somehow more entitled to the road. (Don't get me started on people with mirrored "move over" arrows on their windshields). Doesn't matter what traffic is doing. They are just short-sighted and wanting to go faster than the car in front of them. In contrast I try to be proactive and look a mile or two up the road and adjust my driving style before I encounter traffic.

Anyway, long story short, I came to realize I was the source of my own road rage. I've since changed my habits and now I'm back to enjoying driving. Well, except for all the stupid idiots on the road. :mad:

Great post!

I'm a road cyclist... what is road rage? :rolleyes: I bet if every instance toward a cyclist was actually called in, that number would be easily five times that figure. At least it's been a whole two weeks since I was last buzzed by a diesel truck rolling coal. The potential manslaughter charges seem like a fair risk for the five seconds we caused him.

I'm a road cyclist... what is road rage? :rolleyes: I bet if every instance toward a cyclist was actually called in, that number would be easily five times that figure. At least it's been a whole two weeks since I was last buzzed by a diesel truck rolling coal. The potential manslaughter charges seem like a fair risk for the five seconds we caused him.

Move to California.

We're required BY LAW to maintain a 3ft clearance from all cyclists! Next we're going require production of all vehicles with a yard stick attached to our side view mirrors so we know we're in compliance! :rolleyes: Same goes for ticketing loud vehicles and motorcycles..we'll have decibel meter displays out the back window so LEO's can pull us over with appropriate proof! :eek:

Move to California.

We're required BY LAW to maintain a 3ft clearance from all cyclists!

Same law in many states. But I'm confused... you don't agree with being required to give adequate distance?

Same law in many states. But I'm confused... you don't agree with being required to give adequate distance?
I absolutely agree with maintaining adequate clearance and I do. What's silly is to legislate 3'! How is that going to be determined if a ticket is written for it? I'd also like to see cyclist obey the rules of the road too! I see groups blow through lights all the time. My neighborhood road happens to 'T' into a major road so the opposite side of the road from our neighborhood doesn't have cross traffic, but is regulated by the same stop light cars are governed by and cyclists are too. They never stop.

Pool-Noodle-bicycle-Photo-by-Annalisa-van-den-Bergh-8-e1558012951961.jpg

But I’ve discovered a life-saving device that allows cyclists to protect themselves and take back the road: the pool noodle.

Find one for about $2 anywhere: dollar stores, shopping malls, even the supermarket. Choose from the array of fun colors and use a bungee cord to strap this light, flexible toy to your bike rack so that it sticks out to the left side (or the right side, if you’re in a country where cars drive on the left). Start pedaling and watch as car after car moves over to the other lane.
https://qz.com/1620913/the-best-cyc...3FJxNDEkT2JPxELwWsnO8yF84-L5pcz0hZIozcSg90FGA

Move to California.

We're required BY LAW to maintain a 3ft clearance from all cyclists! Next we're going require production of all vehicles with a yard stick attached to our side view mirrors so we know we're in compliance! :rolleyes: Same goes for ticketing loud vehicles and motorcycles..we'll have decibel meter displays out the back window so LEO's can pull us over with appropriate proof! :eek:

Same rules for cyclists in Illinois

I absolutely agree with maintaining adequate clearance and I do. What's silly is to legislate 3'! How is that going to be determined if a ticket is written for it?

Guess I'm missing what the silly part is. Dash cams and action cameras come to mind.

I'd also like to see cyclist obey the rules of the road too!

:rolleyes: You must always stick exactly to the speed limit, always use your turn signal, and never do the California roll. The only safe driver in CA. I'm proud.

I see it all the time in Illinois. It's one thing I will not miss when I leave here. Had a guy last night on Highway 41... I'm in the slow lane, he's in the fast lane WAY behind me. I signal and come over into the fast lane to pass a truck. I'm nowhere near him as he's 100 meters behind me still... I see him with his hands in the air losing his mind because I had the audacity to use my turn signal and pass a truck.

I just laugh, and when things like this happen on the road I make sure they see me pointing and laughing at them as I give the hand signal for "you're a nutjob".

:D

I used to do that but there are far too many people around here who react emotionally instead of actually thinking, the same type who like to shoot people whom they feel "disrespected them" in some manor. They typically drive irresponsibly and aren't very good drivers to begin with so best to just let them be.

Hate to say it but here in TX some drivers would use that pool noodle as a challenge to see how close they could come :(

Back
Top Bottom