Recovery gear location in/on the truck

I feel I carry a pretty well equipt rigging bag along with other items under the rear seat of Ole Heavy: portable air compressor, winch rigging bag, extra 3\8"x 50ft Master Pull Classic Synthetic Rope under the towel, clean towel wipe one self down, NOCO GBX45 Boost Jump Starter, tool kit with fuses & tire repair kit, trauma first aid kit (wifes been in the medical field for over 45 yrs) & she's my navigator, fire extinguisher, recovery boards I have in a carry case I just place in the back of the bed.
50919592_2032174463498084_2454610106432618496_n.jpg

I think I’m going to plan on moving to the roof and see how that works (in an alubox) should be fine except for situations like this (not my truck but it did take us a while to right it safely and without a scratch, 2 winches and some creative line runs got it sorted)

View attachment 56733

View attachment 56734

Please excuse the thread jack but how in The Wide Wide World Of Sports did that driver get that thing into that pickle?

He did what I tell everyone NOT to do in that sluice, which is to ride the wall to avoid the deep ruts.. add a little speed descending in first gear and things happen fast.

I have seen a lot of roll overs in that particular place.. This recovery took an hour or so, and he was out without a scratch.

He did what I tell everyone NOT to do in that sluice, which is to ride the wall to avoid the deep ruts.. add a little speed descending in first gear and things happen fast.

I have seen a lot of roll overs in that particular place.. This recovery took an hour or so, and he was out without a scratch.

Reminds me of this. Guy came up fast. Passenger front wheel caught the wall followed by a cascade of overcorrections. I had just gotten the FJ and I was wondering what I got myself into.

Broke the hardtop and a window but he was able to drive home after the recovery and after he got over the shock. Lots of unsecured items falling out of the broken window.

_DSC0909.JPG

His roof was right up against a protrusion in the wall. It caught the rear corner. If he had a roof rack I think it would have caused more damage.
_DSC0916-2.ARW.jpg

I have learned from experience that while I do transport my recovery gear inside my bed with a shell on it, it is a bad idea to keep it there while wheeling. Especially if you have a swing out. It can easily become unobtanium while wheeling.
D652C059-9FC4-45A9-A482-FF404ADC908F.jpeg
B3C20C28-A0D3-47FB-A7F4-AE46E53B566E.jpeg

I have learned from experience that while I do transport my recovery gear inside my bed with a shell on it, it is a bad idea to keep it there while wheeling. Especially if you have a swing out. It can easily become unobtanium while wheeling.

After a fellow Astro/Safari club member had an issue with a stuck tailgate (where the exact tool he needed to un-stick it was inaccessible inside the tailgate), I rearranged my storage and sacrificed a little of the under-bench storage for my tools and most of my recovery gear. That space is precious because it's the easiest to access while "living" in the van, but I needed someplace I could get to any time, but also that was secure in case of an accident. The pop up "rock and roll" bench seat is held closed with a safety latch when underway, and this "drawer" box latches into the bench seat frame. (The box can be un-latched and slid completely out from the rear tailgate also, since sometimes I prefer to just carry the whole toolkit to the job...

toolkit-box.jpg

Just ordered a 42L Alubox from Equipt to locate my 2 (ATC) recovery gear bags on the rack.
Also ordering some fancy cam locks and will secure them with those, the cool slider lock K9 things are pretty heavy, so I am skipping them in leu of a nice cable gun lock to deter easy theft, and a padlock for the box, simple, I have it already and they are keyed the same as my other security bits.

Pro's: access, weatherproof, out of the cab, easily removable
Con's: Flashy box, weather proof means I need to make sure the contents are dry, in some situations (sideways) access will be difficult/impossible

I will still keep my in cab "fast" recovery kit with the tree strap, 30' extension, 2 hard and soft shackles. This lives behind the passenger seat and is soft shackled to the roll bar, one handed removal.

That kit does 90% of the work anyway but when you need more, you REALLY NEED MORE GEAR..

Alubox 42L arrived.. still waiting on some roller cam bits to secure everything inside and up on the rack.

Rack mounted Alubox fits my 2 ATC recovery bags
#1 - tree strap, Arb tow strap, soft shackles, green pin.
#2 - soft shackles (38k rated),30’ dynamic rope, tree strap (never have too many of those), green pin.
loose tree strap to grab. Only yard sale item I guess :)

Cab bag - tree strap, 25’ extension, tree strap, Pulley, gloves, soft shackles (2), green pin

A6FD20AB-A9AF-430E-93A0-FE70CF9DFBBF.jpeg

Force Protect Gear SmartPack Loadout Bag plus Safe-Xtract kit.

The two zippered side pockets within the main compartment hold the safety lanyard, Factor 55 fast fid, 2 Crosby shackles, (edit: and the soft shackles) and xlock.

The padded main compartment holds the winch line extension, kinetic recovery ropes, and block.

The end compartments hold tree straps.

PXL_20210915_022632723.jpg

I also have an ARB recovery bag that has an ARB tree saver and strap, a collection of various soft shackles, plus the ARB tire repair kit.

Normally the ARB recovery bag went in the cab and the FPG bag wet in the bed of the truck. I am going to have to rethink everything now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom