Real Life First Aid Experiences

About 20 years ago while driving home from night school, I saw a crowd of people on the side of the street and a body lying in the street face down, head against the curb. I grabbed my kit. She was the victim in an auto/pedestrian accident. No one was helping. I assessed her. And yelled for someone to call 911. She wasn't breathing and had no pulse. We had to turn her over. I finally convinced a couple of people to assist and we rolled her as a unit. One of the helpers helped stabilize her neck while I stated rescue breathing and chest compressions. This was my first real life experience doing this. I couldn't believe how much work it was! A policeman arrived in about 5 minutes and took over doing compressions. I was pretty shot by the time the ambulance arrived. The policeman called me later that night and said she was dead. I felt pretty guilty as I thought I might have made a bad call in rolling her over. I felt better a few days later after speaking with the ME. He said she had most likely died on impact as she had a "hang mans fracture" at the base of her skull. Another time I drove up an an accident where one occupant was ejected. He had a pulse and was breathing so I stopped the bleeding of a couple of wounds. He stopped breathing so I had to start CPR. He was mediflghted out. He died 5 days later, but at least his family was with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked on a kid recently while on a backpacking trip. He was playing with a knife and had sliced the skin on his thumb about an inch long, to the bone, and was bleeding quite a bit.

Lots of cleaning, some superglue, and some bandages fixed him up. He and his Dad started back to the trailhead, unfortunately many miles away. I advised them to proceed immediately to an urgent care clinic when they got back in town to ensure that it didn't become infected.

Hi all,

I volunteer with the Sheriff's Search & Rescue in San Bernardino County. I can give you a couple of tips that might help if you have to do this again:

Life Flight and other commercial helicopter services are often limited as to where they can set down if there's no organized landing area nearby. Unfortunately, this means they often won't dispatch the helicopter until there is a person on the ground who has scouted out a landing zone, and can act as a HELITAC to guide them in and verify that it is safe. Fire and Sheriff's aviation have more flexibility, and they can drop off their medic to assess the situation and give direction.

What can you do if you're in the middle of nowhere and someone is seriously hurt? First off, focus on ABCs (airway, breathing, circulation). Do what you can to make sure they are breathing, that they have a pulse, and that any severe bleeding is controlled. Do your best to immobilize them in place, or move them in a straight line, such as with a drag sheet if they must be moved for safety (i.e. fire, their car is on top of them, they are in the middle of the freeway).

When you call, have everything you want to say in order before you dial. Be prepared to give contact info, location (nearest roads/cross street, GPS if in the wilderness), and a good description of the problem. I'm not sure why your dispatcher didn't want GPS; SAR will definitely want that, and aviation will too. Helicopter crews usually want LAT/LON coordinates. I would have them already written down and tell the dispatcher. If you get disconnected, they will replay the recording and use those coordinates to get SAR out to you.

If there is a possibility you'll need a helicopter, scout out a clearing, wide road or other place nearby that is free of debris, power lines or other obstructions and mention it to the dispatcher.

When you're on the phone with 911, the more calm and in control you sound, the easier will be to articulate how bad the situation is and what resources you're going to need. I know it sounds counter-intuituve, but you'll be taken much more seriously if you aren't freaking out.

If you took any vital signs (level of consciousness, pulse, respirations) make sure to give them. Tell the dispatcher the patient is deteriorating if they are. A trend is more useful than more detailed information. Their job is to figure out if the patient is critical (may die or suffer permanent injury) and how quickly they need to get to treatment. Faster often means more risk, so they need to get this right and weigh the factors.

Assign someone to keep in contact with 911, and assign folks to watch the road and direct whoever shows up. Depending on the situation and how long they think transport will take, you might want to ask about starting the evac now and meeting the EMS crew halfway. This will save time, as SAR folks are all volunteer and will take a while to organize for a wilderness mission.

Remember that helicopters often get called away, cancelled due to weather and mechanical issues, and rarely fly at night. Law enforcement (rangers, Sheriff, CHP, etc) often have 4x4 trucks and will make a best-effort to get to you if near some sort of road. SAR goes out in any weather, and will hike, snowshoe, etc to get to you if needed. All of these resources will get to you MUCH faster if they know exactly where to go. Most of our rescues are resolved in a matter of hours with a small team, while a SEARCH can take hundreds of man-days and may not result in a live find.

Hope this helps!

Arclight

Valuable info, Arclight! Thanks!

Well, I am embarrassed to say that in this story.....I was the victim. We were way outside of California City in the middle of nowhere and it was January 3, the day I turned 50. I was in my highly modified UTV and I was with a group of motorcyclists. One of them was my youngest Son that I had just bought him his first motorcycle for Christmas. I had strapped two 5 gallon containers of fuel to the rear of the UTV which wound up being the reason everything went wrong. Two bikes were being difficult to start, so I stayed back with them. After the bikes were started they took off across the desert to catch up with the others. I took off after them and while moving at 51 mph, I hit a jump that I had done several times, but the fuel in the rear over compressed the rear coil overs and the rebound failed. Traveled 25 feet in the air landing on the nose of the UTV. Then proceeded to flip end over end four times blowing the bed off (with the fuel canisters) and then the right front suspension which went 100 yards out into the desert. The UTV finally stopped sitting upright and I was covered in blood. I sat there, in shock, looking out across the desert. My first thought was " wow, if I am going to die today, this is the place I want it to be. And I was amazingly calm. When I looked out in front of me, I saw two guys pulling up in a white Rhino UTV. I thought I was seing things because the Rhino was never sold in white. They both had big black bags; one in each hand. As they ran at me they were yelling "don't move, you are hurt really bad" I thought to myself...no shit Sherlock! As they got closer, they identified themselves and said they were paramedics out of La Habra and I was not to move. In high stress situations, I tend to turn into a smart ass to try and diffuse the situation. The one guy starts taking off my shoes and I told him "you steal my shoes f**ker, I will kick your a*s" They laughed. They had seen the bed fly out into the desert, so they kept asking me who was with me. I started to try and name all the guys on the bikes out ahead of me. When they realized that is what I was telling them, they figured I was alone in the UTV. I started going in and out of conscience and at one point I woke up with one of the paramedics in my face yelling " Mark, Mark, Mark!" I said to him " what are you, a hair lipped dog? My name is Jeff", and they started laughing.
Anyways, I wound up riding for two hours, strapped on a back board all the way to Lancaster Hospital with no pain meds because they thought that I had broken my back. Don't ever cry to me about how bad a washboard road was. You just don't know.
My friends gathered up what was left of my Rhino, put it on my trailer and took my motorhome, my Son, and all of our stuff all the way to my house.
To this day, I have never been able to find out the names of the two paramedics that my have saved my life. These two guys were rolling with full first response bags and a SAT phone. The Paramedics had stated that they had seen me because the first flip was over 14 feet in the air and then there was a huge dust cloud from the final impact, so they came over to see what was happening.
You know, when it is not you day to go, it's just not your day.
I have also made it through a heart attack on the 210 freeway. So don't f**k with me, I may be Highlander material!
Jeff

Hey Jeff-those two Paramedics from CCFD are members of the DIRT team. I more than likely know them both as I work PT for Hall Ambulance. Its amazing you didnt get a ride in a helo out of that let alone some pain meds. Over the last 15 years Ive done many responses out there for accidents just like yours. Glad you made it through and are in one piece. Since you live in Upland go by main Fire Station and ask for Karl Hegle, Mike Antonucci or Deputy Chief Hayes. They all used to work at CCFD and could probably find out the two medics name if you want to send them a thank you.

Hey Jeff-those two Paramedics from CCFD are members of the DIRT team. I more than likely know them both as I work PT for Hall Ambulance. Its amazing you didnt get a ride in a helo out of that let alone some pain meds. Over the last 15 years Ive done many responses out there for accidents just like yours. Glad you made it through and are in one piece. Since you live in Upland go by main Fire Station and ask for Karl Hegle, Mike Antonucci or Deputy Chief Hayes. They all used to work at CCFD and could probably find out the two medics name if you want to send them a thank you.
Hey 05tacoMedic,

Sadly, Jeff didn't survive his second heart attack. He passed while camping, I don't recall where, doing what he loved.

Hey 05tacoMedic,

Sadly, Jeff didn't survive his second heart attack. He passed while camping, I don't recall where, doing what he loved.

not to steer the this thread off course, but we are almost at the anniversary of his passing. Aug 9 of last year.

Hey 05tacoMedic,

Great thread, useful stories, experiences shared we can all learn from. I can only attest to scrapes, bumps, bruises and minor cuts in 10 years of scouting as an adult leader.

Very sorry to read this about Jeff and certainly the way I'd like to go...someday. October 14 is the five year anniversary of my first heart attack.

Damn-Definitely did not know. RIP to him. Wish I would have been on here to speak to him before his passing. Thanks for letting me know Mitch.

Back before cell phones, I lived in a remote, primitive area of Washington state. There was a town about 12-15 miles away. As we left for town we stopped by neighbors to see if they needed anything. There little girl (toddler) was outside bare naked and running around plying with other kids. She came in and started to go into convulsions. Now, we had no idea if a bug or snake or ? Had bit her, did she step on something. I immediately wanted to get her to the hospital in town and my wife was to stay their and watch her other kids. We loaded up the mother and little girl and I headed down the winding dirt road to town. The little girl got worse, I stopped to try to help her but the mother at this time was screaming hysterically and would not let me touch or near the little girl. The mother was a nurse at the hospital in town Btw. I continued down the narrow winding dirt road and soon saw the father of the little girl headed up the hill. I thought to myself, "oh thank GOD! Someone with some since and control to help this girl" boy was I wrong, we stopped the father on the road and he immediately started screaming and crying grabbed the little girl away from the mother, ran around my truck with her a couple times yelling "oh my GOD oh my GOD!!" And FINALLY the mother got the girl and they loaded into their own truck and headed to town. The hospital in town revived the little girl once, then on the helicopter ride to the nearest major city (Spokane) she died and was revived again and once more at the major hospital in the city. We later found out what had happened. The mother was taking drugs from the hospital where she worked as a nurse and stored them in a huge cardboard box under the bed. The little girl had helped herself to them.

Back before cell phones, I lived in a remote, primitive area of Washington state. There was a town about 12-15 miles away. As we left for town we stopped by neighbors to see if they needed anything. There little girl (toddler) was outside bare naked and running around plying with other kids. She came in and started to go into convulsions. Now, we had no idea if a bug or snake or ? Had bit her, did she step on something. I immediately wanted to get her to the hospital in town and my wife was to stay their and watch her other kids. We loaded up the mother and little girl and I headed down the winding dirt road to town. The little girl got worse, I stopped to try to help her but the mother at this time was screaming hysterically and would not let me touch or near the little girl. The mother was a nurse at the hospital in town Btw. I continued down the narrow winding dirt road and soon saw the father of the little girl headed up the hill. I thought to myself, "oh thank GOD! Someone with some since and control to help this girl" boy was I wrong, we stopped the father on the road and he immediately started screaming and crying grabbed the little girl away from the mother, ran around my truck with her a couple times yelling "oh my GOD oh my GOD!!" And FINALLY the mother got the girl and they loaded into their own truck and headed to town. The hospital in town revived the little girl once, then on the helicopter ride to the nearest major city (Spokane) she died and was revived again and once more at the major hospital in the city. We later found out what had happened. The mother was taking drugs from the hospital where she worked as a nurse and stored them in a huge cardboard box under the bed. The little girl had helped herself to them.

Wow... that's terrible. The disposition of the little girl... did she ultimately survive or expire? Were the parents prosecuted?

It's really stayed with me. The little girl did survive, I don't know how, and I believe the parents were already on the watch.

I have helped out in 2 atv accidents, one of which was serious. The guy was ejected and could not get up. We packaged him in a rhino and took him to the ambulance. Upside was that I rode out his fully raced prepped machine. It was badass. I see why he flew off. He was layed up for a few weeks but very greatful.

On another jeep trip a close friend did 2.5 barrel rolls and his wife had a bad head injury. That was scary but all kept cool heads and she is fine

Worst was in the 90s. I was on a cave rescue team. We were called to a fall In j4 cave. The guy fell40 feet in the maze section. He injured his back and had to go on and off the sked many times to make all the tight spots. That took a long time and a lot of planning on the fly. He was okay too

Luckily since I got into kayaks there have only been very minor isseus

Last edited:
Outdoor have had several cuts scrapes ect ect. I had to splint my own leg once, which made it fun to pedal my bike with one leg. Worst I have had to personally help with was a guy got caught up in one of our machines, it basically stripped his arm to the bone from his elbow to his wrist, I drank a lot of tequila that night. We did the best we could to keep him comfortable and calm, 3 of us were holding gauze over his wounds. The actually fixed his arm, he probably has 70% usage of what he had before. This reminds me I need to get my butt into a wilderness first aid class.

Auto accidents are the worst. Massive trauma all over. I've seen a couple of spectacular accidents and it is not for the squeamish. Best is to check your ABCs and assume there will be shock. Don't move unless it is life threatening not to and even then try to keep spine aligned. Without extensive training there isn't a lot you can do other than that and dialing 911. I'm not a paramedic and don't intend to attempt to be one.

In the field... hmmm. One guy with a piece of wood stuck in his arm from a fall. Big piece of wood, an inch across and half way thru a small arm. When you have been impaled you generally don't want to remove the object, especially if it is in a vital area. I did remove the wood, controlled bleeding with pressure and he walked home to mommy. The guy was me and I was 5 years old bounding thru the woods like a deer. I still have a prominent scar.

Another time a stupid teenager was rock climbing and not wearing anything at all. Succeeded in peeling the skin completely off both feet, a fair amount off both legs and bottom and losing 6 of 10 toenails when things didn't quite work out as planned. Good shoes would have saved a lot of pain. I never go rock climbing without good shoes and gloves any more.

Strains, sprains, breaks & tears. (I have been fortunate here. Only serious break I have had was my thumb in high school wrestling.) They are far and away the most common major injuries in the field, what people need the SAR folks for. Commonly caused by overestimating one's ability and underestimating risks, inattention to where you are going and impaired judgement. SAM splints, ace bandage and good improvisational skills.

Lacerations, contusions, abrasions, punctures & avulsions. Sharp rocks, nasty thorns, broken glass, knife accidents and as a result of falls. Injuries that are small enough to slap a Band aid and some Neosporin on it aren't a big issue (duct tape and toilet paper do the job). It's the stuff in between you need to prep for most. Kerlix gauze rolls, abd pads, & bandage tape (I use Vet Wrap). I keep a wound stapler in the doggie FAK. Amputations and arterial bleeding are pretty rare in the wild and are caused by heavy duty wood cutting gone awry. Israeli bandage and/or CAT.

Burns, usually from being stupid around a camp fire or stove, sunburn. First degree you use a topical anesthetic. Second degree you protect the injury to keep the blister from popping, anesthetic may or may not be useful if there is redness around the area. It is its own best bandage. Third degree you cover the injury gently with a sterile bandage and get the heck to a doctor ASAP. Treat for shock. Second degree burns over a large area or any third degree burn is a potentially life threatening event.

Blister on the foot. Ow. Very common and very easily treated if you catch them early. I find wrapping the offending area in duct tape works wonders. If it is a large blister, moleskin may be called for. I have had success putting several layers of liquid bandage over hotspots before they blistered. Since blisters on the foot are likely to pop regardless, it is best to drain them. Poke a hole in the base of the blister with a sterile needle and gently coax the fluid out. Leaving the blister in place, cover with duct tape or moleskin or whatever. Lots of different OTC treatments available.

I do not go prepped for massive bee attack and there really is no prep for snakebite except situational awareness. Of course you should always carry any prescription meds you take.

My FAK is a bit more elaborate than this but I spend long times alone very deep in the bush. Can't count on next day rescue.

Last edited:
Decided to go through my first-aid/walk out bag before our Baja trip. Apparently it's been a while since I looked through it. Almost all of the over the counter type meds were LONG past their expiration dates. Time to restock.

We use a back pack to keep everything in.

I get the smaller sized generic brand pain (aspirin and ibuprofen), gastro (pepto, antacids, anti-gas), and allergy (Benadril) meds on hand. I also keep various salves/ointments in it (sun screen, insect spray, hydro-cortisone, anti-bacterial ointment, Ben-Gay, etc).

We have an abundance of band-aids/gauze/ace bandages, first aid tape, gloves, CPR mask, stethoscope, thermometer, blood pressure cuff, space blanket, and one of the Costco first aid kits. I've found that the First Aid Only kits that Costco sells (or used to) to be a fairly comprehensive first aid kit for minor injuries.

I've got an old bright orange heavy weight button up shirt, along with a few bottles of water, collapsible bowl and a Mag Light in there as well.

I've got a first aid flip chart in the bag, and have a Wilderness First Aid course manual in the truck.

I carry an few days extra supply of any prescription drugs with us.

I hope I never need any of that stuff, but I'd rather be looking at it, than looking for it, if it's needed.

Last edited:
Bob you bring up a VERY important point for all of us to consider - a First Aid kit is only good if it's fully stocked and not expired. MANY items that go into these kits have expiration dates and things don't last as long stored in a hot vehicle.

As most of you know I've been doing the "field medicine" gig for going on two decades now and "gear checks" prior to a mission are critical to success. It's all fun and games until something goes wrong and you realize that you used some stuff in your kit and forgot to re-stock. I open my bag and go through it before every big trip because even I have been burned by forgetting to replace something that I used on someone. Overland Expo is a good example, every year I end up tending to some lacerations or other medical issue in camp and I have to remember to replenish my bag when I get home. I really can't stress the importance of checking your gear enough, and knowing how to use what you have.

Good info here. I have basic first aid and cpr training, and was a Red Cross instructor for a while. I still feel like I'd like to much better prepared when I'm out in the boonies.

Has anyone done any of the Wilderness First Responder type courses that are out there?

I haven't, wish I could, but probably never will. The manual I carry was recommended by a friend that is now a flight nurse, he took the course a few years ago, recommended the book. It's mostly basic first aid stuff, but using the materials on hand rather than proper first aid gear.

Machelle is a First Aid instructor and I've had some random training over the years that I have retained. The flip chart/manual help reinforce the training still in my head.

Having a good, visual reference type guide on hand is a great way to stimulate what you've learned over the years and is a great item to have in your kit.

Back
Top Bottom