Random ADVENTURE Photos!

bibeRM-190314-1000shrp-2059.jpg

Moonset Over Mexico

Ah, that's such a cool shot... every detail is so clear, lol. Moi, I would simply point & shoot and hope for the best, but I know there's science behind a photo like this. Just catching up to this thread again, keep up the good work!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. That looks suspiciously like a cold beer in that cooler cup by the black jerry can or water jug, lol... o_O

Ah, that's such a cool shot... every detail is so clear, lol. Moi, I would simply point & shoot and hope for the best, but I know there's science behind a photo like this. Just catching up to this thread again, keep up the good work!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. That looks suspiciously like a cold beer in that cooler cup by the black jerry can or water jug, lol... o_O

Thanks, and yeah, I've been known to down a rack or two of Lone Star when I'm up all night shooting the desert night sky.

Two images made along the Mexican border in far west Texas. Too much moonlight and too cloudy to do Milky Way images, so I played with the moon all night, changing camera angles and exposure settings for different effects.

Second image shows a winter halo, or moon ring, which happens when moonlight refracts off ice crystals in high altitude clouds.

Full moon nights in the desert are among my favorite camping experiences; bright enough to walk about without a light in the quiet night. Your eyes adjust and everything seems sharper and more crisp than in daylight.

BBRLM-190316-full-2607.jpg

BBRLM-190316-full-2641-900.jpg

This shot I just adore.

Done more for the colors and painterly effect, to emulate the feeling of a painting I know from long ago of a Bedouin camp in the Egyptian desert. The hill in the background--I call it Cemetery Hill because of an old Mexican cemetery at its base--always reminds me of a pyramid.

I think of the painting of the Bedouin camp when camping alone out there for weeks on end, especially during colorful dusks like this, and that I'm as close as one can get to being an American Bedouin.

bibeLC-190308-panocrop-1000shrp-1538.jpg

Last edited:
And it looks like one too, just the way it should... you da man in the field, or at least one of the hardcore guys, WAHOO!!! :rolleyes:

As far as the Bedouin scene goes, I'm right there with ya when I'm in the field, except for the part where I have truckloads of firewood delivered to my "remote" campsite, LOL. o_O

CHEERS, MY FRIEND!!! YER PICS ARE FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!! LOL... :cool:

Edit: Somehow, mentioning the 'hardcore' aspect reminds me of a February morning up in Hidden Valley at J. Tree decades ago... my friend and former climbing partner (now deceased from unrelated causes, R.I.P.) was still crashed out at dawn, and there were frozen white 'puddles' of water nearby as I scraped my face with a razor while looking into a small camp or field mirror propped up on the hood of my vehicle, aye? Well, along came this climber who saw me shaving at dawn in temps barely above freezing, and he said:

"WHOA!!! SHAVING AT J. TREE!!! THAT'S F#%NG HARDCORE!!!" :eek:

I laughed at the time and bid this hand a good day, whereupon he marched past our site, made his way to a bad@$$ boulder outcrop not too far away, and "warmed up" on a radical 5.12 route (which I checked later for the rating, LOL). Funny how that works, with the hardman scared of the razor in the field, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Meh, I was in the Infantry, I gotta scrape my face no matter what, or REALLY look scruffy in the field, 10-4??? ;)

Last edited:
Hey, Road!!! Know this before I crash for the night:

You ever need a temporary bivouac site to get yer gear cleaned up and resorted, yer always welcome here at the ol' hacienda, I gots a 60' covered carport on the west side of my home (with a concrete slab beneath the wide metal awning, same as the east side), and a fine yard where any hand can pitch a tent or rough it with the rattlers & scorpions, YEAH??? Good place to take a break and sort out yer gear if necessary, you can even do laundry (that's on YOU, I ain't touchin' anybody's funky laundry, LOL). Just sayin', and that offer goes for anyone cool at this website, only thing is ya might get yer @$$es kicked on the primo 8' pool table, and ya gotta throw in a few bucks for BBQ and ice-cold alcoholic beverages, LOL. No friggin' space rent though, that's the GOOD NEWS, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :rolleyes:

And it's MY property too, deed in my name and my name alone, so nobody else calls the shots, AYE??? Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, there's all kinds of free remote camping on the West Side of the Dragoon Mountains, so if ya wanna go out there for a week or two at a time, no worries, you can safely leave any gear or equipment here on the property, I lock my gates even though it's a crime-free 'neighborhood' high on a hill and uphill dead-end street on the east side of Benson, overlooking the San Pedro Valley with a million-dollar view of the Dragoons and Cochise Stronghold (West Side). It doesn't suck, that's for goldurned sure, and fellow outdoorsmen (and women) are welcome here... my home has always been open to those who are hardcore in the field, that's the same way I roll out under the stars, "10-DASH-FO'???" o_O

Just sayin', time for me to navigate toward my rack and get this goldurned foot elevated for the night... I drank a couple bottles of vino earlier, Moscato (I call it the Skeeter) and some Pinot Grigio, whatever that means... probably means "GO F#% YER MOTHER!!!" in Eye-talian, LOL, or maybe "YER GRANDMOTHER WEARS ARMY BOOTS!!!" :eek:

CHEERS!!! :D

Hey, Road!!! Know this before I crash for the night:

You ever need a temporary bivouac site to get yer gear cleaned up and resorted, yer always welcome here at the ol' hacienda, I gots a 60' covered carport on the west side of my home (with a concrete slab beneath the wide metal awning, same as the east side), and a fine yard where any hand can pitch a tent or rough it with the rattlers & scorpions, YEAH??? Good place to take a break and sort out yer gear if necessary, you can even do laundry (that's on YOU, I ain't touchin' anybody's funky laundry, LOL). Just sayin', and that offer goes for anyone cool at this website, only thing is ya might get yer @$$es kicked on the primo 8' pool table, and ya gotta throw in a few bucks for BBQ and ice-cold alcoholic beverages, LOL. No friggin' space rent though, that's the GOOD NEWS, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :rolleyes:

And it's MY property too, deed in my name and my name alone, so nobody else calls the shots, AYE??? Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, there's all kinds of free remote camping on the West Side of the Dragoon Mountains, so if ya wanna go out there for a week or two at a time, no worries, you can safely leave any gear or equipment here on the property, I lock my gates even though it's a crime-free 'neighborhood' high on a hill and uphill dead-end street on the east side of Benson, overlooking the San Pedro Valley with a million-dollar view of the Dragoons and Cochise Stronghold (West Side). It doesn't suck, that's for goldurned sure, and fellow outdoorsmen (and women) are welcome here... my home has always been open to those who are hardcore in the field, that's the same way I roll out under the stars, "10-DASH-FO'???" o_O

Just sayin', time for me to navigate toward my rack and get this goldurned foot elevated for the night... I drank a couple bottles of vino earlier, Moscato (I call it the Skeeter) and some Pinot Grigio, whatever that means... probably means "GO F#% YER MOTHER!!!" in Eye-talian, LOL, or maybe "YER GRANDMOTHER WEARS ARMY BOOTS!!!" :eek:

CHEERS!!! :D

Thanks man, that's a generous offer. I'll keep it in mind if headed out I-10 Benson way. It's an historically rich area in topics of deep interest to me. Also fits into my exploration for a "South of I-10, Another America" piece that is forming.

You could probably spend a month at the Stronghold alone and never photograph the same view twice, lol. Tombstone would also be a good subject... despite the tourist shtick & bull$h!t, there is some undeniably bad@$$ history in that burg. I always feel like I'm in an old Western when I walk the dusty streets & wooden boardwalks of Tombstone. Once my foot heals, I'll be strolling those streets & boardwalks again, no doubt about it. Bisbee is historic too, and it might make for good photos with half the old mining town up on edge that way... maybe 2/3 of the town, who knows? Alright, I gotta drop my timesheet at work this morning, somehow it made its way into my car when I picked up my tools, not sure exactly how this situation with my foot is gonna pan out... o_O

P.S. Oh, yeah, this area is rich in railroad history too, dunno if ya photograph railroads & railroad equipment, but it's definitely here... I saw the Union Pacific "Big Boy" when it came through this burg, largest steam locomotive ever built, and it was pretty cool. In fact, I took some pics, though they weren't as stellar as the shots you take, lol. That's okay, as Dirty Harry once said, "A good man always knows his limitations!" :rolleyes:

Lemme go find those pics... :D

IMG_5143.JPG IMG_5144.JPG IMG_5145.JPG IMG_5146.JPG IMG_5148.JPG IMG_5151.JPG IMG_5152.JPG IMG_5155.JPG IMG_5156.JPG IMG_5157.JPG IMG_5158.JPG

Can't tell from my shots, but a good crowd of several thousand folks showed up to see "Big Boy"---train was about an hour late, of course, just like in the Old West, lol. Those first shots are just trains which passed during the interval of waiting... those passengers aboard the SlamTrak Special must have wondered what so many rednecks were doing standing around, probably thought there was so little entertainment in this burg that everyone showed up to watch the trains go by, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn. :oops:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom