pocket Media acquires GIAA and several publications...

Interesting that a media company would snatch up Gaia GPS, however I think it's a smart move on their part to have that kind of platform. I just hope they don't turn "anti-vehicle" and shun out the current overland/ohv/4x4 user base and turn the app into yet another hiking-only app.

Interesting that a media company would snatch up Gaia GPS, however I think it's a smart move on their part to have that kind of platform. I just hope they don't turn "anti-vehicle" and shun out the current overland/ohv/4x4 user base and turn the app into yet another hiking-only app.

My thoughts exactly when I read this yesterday.

Yesterday Pocket Outdoor Media (POM) announced that it has acquired five businesses: Outside magazine (which includes Outside Online), Outside TV, Gaia GPS, athleteReg, and Peloton magazine. These brands join the much loved properties that already make up POM’s existing portfolio—Ski, Yoga Journal, Backpacker, Trail Runner, Climbing, Clean Eating, Women’s Running, VeloNews, Warren Miller Entertainment, Roll Massif, FinisherPix, and almost 20 more—to form the active-lifestyle equivalent of a musical supergroup. And that’s not all: POM is also changing its name to Outside. You can read more about that announcement in this interview with CEO Robin Thurston.We think this is great news for our readers, and not just because our new teammates share our passion to help everyone live bravely. The new Outside will be investing in what we do best, helping us inspire and enable more people to participate in the activities we love. “Everything we do is driven by a belief that a hike, run, ride, or yoga practice can change your life,” said Thurston, “and the additions are all about fulfilling that mission. We will now be delivering world-class content, experiences, and services 24/7 to almost every home in America across every platform, screen, and device.”

When your read through that portfolio of brands, you quickly realize that their base demographic is diametrically opposed to combustion engines and motorized travel, especially in the back country.

I think that, despite their recent recognition of overlanding/vanlife as being a "thing" (done solely to jump on the money bandwagon), and given the clearly voiced politics of Outside magazine as evidenced in their library of articles, the probability of them ruining Gaia GPS and memory holing all the 4WD centric features/trails is actually very high.

Time will tell.

and given the clearly voiced politics of Outside magazine as evidenced in their library of articles, the probability of them ruining Gaia GPS and memory holing all the 4WD centric features/trails is actually very high

That's what worries me as well. I canceled my subscription to Outside Magazine many years ago because of misgivings with their biased political slant.

That's what worries me as well. I canceled my subscription to Outside Magazine many years ago because of misgivings with their biased political slant.

Yeah, that doesn't bode well for Gaia and yeah, I canceled my long term subscriptions to Outside and Backpacker when they couldn't keep their retarded politics out of everything. I've glanced at a couple of issues over the years in the grocery store and I definitely don't miss them.

Yeah, that doesn't bode well for Gaia and yeah, I canceled my long term subscriptions to Outside and Backpacker when they couldn't keep their retarded politics out of everything. I've glanced at a couple of issues over the years in the grocery store and I definitely don't miss them.

I was at a local 4WD shop this morning discussing this very topic of how brands are losing customers by bringing politics into their business. Brands that bring their owner's personal politics into the picture foolishly forget this one important fact: It makes zero sense to alienate +/- half your demographic by picking a side on a political issue or party.

Which is why I made the decision long ago for this brand to be apolitical. We all want and need an escape from that shyte ;)

Outside has published a few articles recent years on vehicle based adventure. I read an article on a trip up to Coyote Flats and another very good story on back country survival/first aid in the Sierras from a guy who survived a serious rattlesnake bite. They even had a YouTube series last year on a truck build out with a GFC camper. Add in the explosion of 4x4 Sprinter vans, It all fits their $$$ target demographic. As a former media type, smart move of them to diversify, print magazine publishing is vanishing fast.

I do hope this doesn’t change GAIA GPS or it’s subscription model/pricing which is a steal right now in my mind. Will be interesting to see if Outside promotes more off the grid style adventure. They are always heavy on the glamping and resort content.

Note: I don’t subscribe, get it all free and digital via the local library.

Side note on GAIA GPS, I have come to accept that their content focus is predominantly towards hikers and most of the pre-mapped routes on their site are geared towards that. They have made an effort to promote use in the vehicle-based community. They now have an API that works with Trailsoffroad.com so you can find routes and import directly into GAIA. I used this last weekend and it works great.

Still carry a set paper maps and compass always. But I’m preaching to the choir.

Back
Top Bottom