Planning trip to Mexico

What route are you taking? Land or air?

Check out the current situation there with cartel activity etc, before you go. I love Mexico but the current “status quo” down there is too lawless for me.

Bobby,

I've been waffling for years about going to Mexico. One thing or another kept getting im the way. I think this year I'm gonna make it.

Two days ago my dental assistant said she and a friend flew to Mexico City two weeks ago for the weekend. They stayed somewhere downtown & went to all the tourist sites. No problems. Her family is from Chihuahua and she's been driving over for years without incident.

Three months ago in Oregon, I met the owner of a 51' yacht who's been sailing up and down the West coast of Mexico for years. He'd also sailed Polynesia and Malaysia. He said Mexico is fine, beautiful and the people are wonderful. He was about my age, 70.

There's a woman in Merida that blogs about life in Mexico & the Yucatan. Last Fall she told me driving from Nuevo Laredo to Merida is no problem & life in Merida is great! My Canadian friends, a couple, have been wintering near Merida for years. They're thrifty and fish the ocean from the beach to augment their diet.

Nothing's certain, but I'll likely cross south of Ajo, Arizona in late November. I'll visit a friend who moved to Puerto Peñasco a year or so ago where she's happy as a clam. Then I'll head south. I travel anywhere from 5-50 miles per day. Rarely stay put more than a few days...itchy feet.

I travel in my restored '96 Geo Tracker 4dr w 4wd. I've been overlanding the West for 12 years. My blog: https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com

PXL_20230610_174620458.jpg
PXL_20220803_024135136~2.jpg
PXL_20230301_044635985.jpg
PXL_20230108_230701765~2.jpg
Phoebe among the mounds-smallened.jpg
PXL_20230907_221452010.jpg

Current conditions in Acapulco are appalling. Massive storm damage, mass looting and thuggery.

That’s just one region but the overall picture with narcos and kidnappings and the overall lawlessness is a potent cocktail. I’d advise against Mexico right now.

Back
Top Bottom