Paper Map Source

yohavos

Adventurist
Hello folks... I didn't want to derail the Land Nav thread but was wondering what people are using for paper maps these days.

I'm used to being issued the map I need for an AO and besides Motor Vehicle Use Maps from the National Forest have been using an iPhone app with USGS quads or a gazateer.

Are USGS quads, MVUM and Green Dot Maps (these are big in WA) the best I can do? I've seen some Nat'l Geographic maps, does anyone like em?

I stumpled upon MyTopo.com and am thinking a few maps with UTM grids would be just the ticket for my MGRS-oriented mind, but it looks like a lot of these are just going to be USGS quads, cut and printed to my specs.

I'd love to hear what other folks are using.

-Mike

I also use NG maps as well. Most 4x trails/Forest Service Roads are plotted as well as hiking trail with topos. Like Cam stated, it'd be nice of they also plotted non-NP/SP/Wilderness areas such as BLM, etc.

I believe most have to be cut and printed to your liking anyways.

I also use paper maps almost exclusively. NG if available, and then a state map book, delorme or mapsco depending on which is better for the particular state.

Google earth is your friend, best used to aid in route planning with the paper map in front of you.

MVUMs are useful, but not always easily obtained. I stick to the forest roads most of the time nowadays anyways, so I have need of the MVUM as a trail open / closed indicator. This approach did burn me in Carson National Forest on one trip. A bunch of road closures left me with only one exit option and nowhere to camp for the night... Had to head back a day early.

Pretty much every national forest ranger station sells paper maps of the dirt roads in the forest that are accessible by vehicle. I carry one map for every area I go to... I've used them many times.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I have used mytopo.com in the past and was very happy with the maps. I liked that I can customize the map with grid systems and the exact area and scale I need. Also, being able to get the map printed on waterproof paper made a huge deciding factor.

I use Gaia topo on mobile (iPad and iPhone), DeLorme Gazeteer and NPS maps. NGS are good too.

In my experience, when it comes to topo maps, the older the map the better detail. Newer maps seem to leave out mines and POI's that are of interest to folks like us. YMMV.

For paper maps I like the Benchmark recreation Atlas. The areas i frequent they seem to have more detail than the DeLorme version (which are also nice). I am also a sucker for maps, I try and buy them all, and really enjoy the small local made maps you find in visitor centers and gas stations.

Pretty much every national forest ranger station sells paper maps of the dirt roads in the forest that are accessible by vehicle. I carry one map for every area I go to... I've used them many times.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
If your route takes you near a ranger station. Often, its more than 50 miles out of route for me.

You may also want to check and see if there is a forest service or BLM office in the city. In Utah, the Forest Service has an office in South Jordan, which is only a few miles south of Salt Lake. I was able to stop by there during a lunch break, and pick up a huge pile of maps that cover most of the state. All for free as well.

In addition, a few outdoor stores in the area have them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom