Pacific Crest Trail: Section A

BorregoWrangler

Adventurist
Founding Member
PCT: CAMPO TO WARNER SPRINGS

Distance: 110 miles

Elevation Gain: +11,060’

If you don’t have around five months to spare, but want a taste of the adventure thru-hikers experience when they take those first steps northbound from the Mexican border on their way to Canada, find your way to the trail’s southern terminus in Campo and get ready for a host of iconic Southern California delights.

This section is often unfairly deemed as some of the trail’s most difficult terrain, but that’s because most hikers start in late spring when the weather starts heating up. Hiking in the fall or winter can be an extremely pleasant endeavor, with abundance water sources and wildflowers.

I completed this section over the course of three years with day hikes and weekend backpacking trips. It could have taken me less time but there are so many others great places to explore around San Diego County. I’m also almost halfway done with Section B, which runs from Warner Springs to San Gorgonio Pass at Interstate 10, and I’m planning on making a more concentrated effort on the next few sections of trail.

I’m looking forward to all the beautiful scenery, as well as the blisters, tough terrain, rattlesnakes, spiky plants, and sweat that comes with the magic of this enchanting footpath.

C60CD111-F744-4397-9A88-B571A1177D10.jpeg

D8D22A9C-F30C-458B-ACF8-72E567C2C9D2.jpeg

22A22414-2C6E-4857-81A4-4805333EDC8F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom